Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Lest say I get a MacMini and replace the HDD for 2x Sata III 480GB SSDs..

Should I RAID 0 them, of Fusion them?

My question is based on 2 things:

-TRIM support in RAID 0
-Can the logic board handle 2x 600mb/s?

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007

-TRIM support in RAID 0

I don't know why you would fusion two SSD drives. The purpose of fusion is to move static under used data to the slower, larger HD. If both of your drives are fast either fusion wouldn't do anything, or perhaps worse would waste read/write cycles by moving this data to an equal SSD drive. I would RAID 0 them if you want performance and aren't worried about drive failure.

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
I don't know why you would fusion two SSD drives. The purpose of fusion is to move static under used data to the slower, larger HD. If both of your drives are fast either fusion wouldn't do anything, or perhaps worse would waste read/write cycles by moving this data to an equal SSD drive. I would RAID 0 them if you want performance and aren't worried about drive failure.

Fusion increases the risk of drive failure by the same amount as RAID 0. Backups are so simple to set up though these days, you'd be crazy not have one.

ModernMan

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010

-TRIM support in RAID 0

If you use CoreStorage (diskutil cs from the terminal command line) to create a single logical volume consisting of the two SSDs together (which is *exactly* what you would do to Fusion them) then you can have the benefit of being able to use filevault on the single large logical volume, have a recovery partition, boot partition, and it will show trim enabled. You can't presently use file vault if you use the Raid approach to combine the two SSD's into one big one. Just sayin'.

By way of explanation, when corestorage is used to create logical volume consisting of an SSD and a larger HDD, the FusionDrive functionality is "automagically" applied to optimize performance. If the core storage logical volume consists simply of two SSDs then presumably no FusionDrive algorithms are applied. I run with with two SSD's combined into a single larger volume exactly this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.