Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridemat

Original poster
Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
What is it that is chewing through my processor cycles?

Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 21.30.26.png

I restart and it comes back :(

jacdem

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
I was having the same problem today. i am reinstalling the system and will see how it goes. if you find what is causing the problem please post.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Apparently it has to do with Quick Look and the generating of the previews in Finder. If you have something like a corrupted/incomplete file, it'll just keep trying to regenerate whatever it is until you either write over it, or delete it.

You might want to inspect it in Activity Monitor:

Open Activity monitor
Highlight the offending process
Click "Inspect"
There should be an "Open Files and Ports" tab that displays all open resources involved with this process

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4146723?start=0&tstart=0

stridemat

Original poster
Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
^^^^ Thanks!

When I am back in front of my Mac and I will take a look.

stridemat

Original poster
Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Took a look, it' still happening....

Dump from the inspect file:

Code:
/
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/quicklookd.app/Contents/XPCServices/QuickLookSatellite.xpc/Contents/MacOS/QuickLookSatellite
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/PlugIns/csparser.bundle/Contents/MacOS/csparser
/Applications/DraftSight.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/FxQuickLookDrawing.qlgenerator/Contents/MacOS/FxQuickLookDrawing
/private/var/folders/n1/4ssvhrtj29n43w7yfvvc_dr40000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-036501.csstore
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
count=1, state=0x2
/private/var/db/DetachedSignatures
->0xa662148efe789143

Seems it is stuck on creating a preview image for DraftSight (CAD programme). Now to figure out how to stop it.

Don't try to force quite. Now I have two! I have a very expensive room heater at the moment!

Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 18.40.05.png

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
If you open that file, then try to save, is there an option (or maybe in preferences) to save with/without a preview? A la iLife/CS apps?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Seems it is stuck on creating a preview image for DraftSight (CAD programme). Now to figure out how to stop it.

Don't try to force quite. Now I have two! I have a very expensive room heater at the moment!

Yeah, it's DraftSight, on page two of that Apple Support discussion I posted, it says that deleting the qlgenerator will do the trick.

patrickm59

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Problem solved

I had the same problem and it appears to be the DraftSight QL generator. I wasn't sure how to find/delete it, but was able to do so: navigate to the DraftSight application (in the applications folder), hold down "control" key and click on the DraftSight application, select "show package contents", look in Contents?Library>QuickLook, and drag the FxQuickLookDrawing.qlgenerator file to the trash, log out or restart, then you'll be off and running.

stridemat

Original poster
Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I had the same problem and it appears to be the DraftSight QL generator. I wasn't sure how to find/delete it, but was able to do so: navigate to the DraftSight application (in the applications folder), hold down "control" key and click on the DraftSight application, select "show package contents", look in Contents?Library>QuickLook, and drag the FxQuickLookDrawing.qlgenerator file to the trash, log out or restart, then you'll be off and running.

Epic thread bump, but it did it again having reinstalled Draftsight. Definitely a bug in the software. Did the above again and it sorted it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.