Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Masterhalifax
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Is it just too OLD - Upgrade or replace MBA

I have had my MBA (1.6GHz internal Core 2 Duo) (@GB 1067 MHz DDR3) now for a few years, i think it was new in 2008. recently i have had to transfer all my photos (large files) and music to an external drive as the memory was getting full. Also it seem to be pretty slow at loading things nowadays..!

Do i call it a day with it and move to a larger memory MBP or...

Get more memory added to it..?

It is coming to Christmas after all....

Should it stay or should it go...?
Masterhalifax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:38 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterhalifax View Post
I have had my MBA (1.6GHz internal Core 2 Duo) (@GB 1067 MHz DDR3) now for a few years, i think it was new in 2008. recently i have had to transfer all my photos (large files) and music to an external drive as the memory was getting full. Also it seem to be pretty slow at loading things nowadays..!

Do i call it a day with it and move to a larger memory MBP or...

Get more memory added to it..?
You can't add RAM to a MacBook Air. It's soldered in.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
Performance Tips For Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterhalifax View Post
I have had my MBA (1.6GHz internal Core 2 Duo) (@GB 1067 MHz DDR3) now for a few years, i think it was new in 2008. recently i have had to transfer all my photos (large files) and music to an external drive as the memory was getting full. Also it seem to be pretty slow at loading things nowadays..!

Do i call it a day with it and move to a larger memory MBP or...

Get more memory added to it..?

It is coming to Christmas after all....

Should it stay or should it go...?
Does it still meet your needs? = keep it
Does it not meet your needs? = get a new one

I know that is simplistic but if it is too slow for you to be productive or causes too much frustration than upgrade. But if you think you can squeeze some more life out of it and deal with the slowness keep it a little longer and save up some more for your next computer.

As said, RAM can not be upgraded.
53x12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
DrumApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I'd wait until the next MBA refresh hopefully in around 4-6 months. The one out there now isn't worth the money IMO. (Screen, base RAM, bezel, are dated).
DrumApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:49 PM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
The current 2012 MBA is light years ahead of the older ones but you should only upgrade if what you have is no longer meeting your needs. Do remember, when you choose to upgrade, to purchase the max memory available as that may not be added after the fact. Also determine how much storage you feel you need and purchase an SSD at least twice that size to allow for future needs.
__________________
2012 MBA 13, 2 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; 2011 MBA 11, 1.8 Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 2010 MB Pro 15, 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; two iPad 3s and a mini, two iPhones and a bunch of iPods
wolfpuppies3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Masterhalifax
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Thanks

Thanks for you responses Guys.

That little link to clean up my Mac was great, not seen that before...

Well looks like ill keep this one and use an external Drive for my Memory for a while, until something special comes out.. i do love my MBA even with its floors.
Masterhalifax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:25 PM   #7
halledise
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterhalifax View Post
i do love my MBA even with its floors.
not wishing to be pedantic but the word is 'flaws'

re the bulk of your post, there are the 13" and 15" rMBPro available right now which will blow your mind when compared with your current rig.

despite the many opinions that they are way to expensive, etc, etc - they still represent a fantastic Mac experience and will last you 3 years + for around $2k.
as is wolfpuppies3' suggestion

whilst we appreciate 'there'll be newer and better in the next 6-9 months' mantra - I'd suggest your'e writing about it now because you're frustrated with your current set-up.

if you have the buck$ to spare, why not go for it now?
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Masterhalifax
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Apologies for my Grammar ... Long Day...

i think i can wait a little longer with this one and see if any more developments comes out or even betray you all and go to a MBP.....

Would upgrading the SSD make a massive difference, excuse my ignorance..!

Last edited by Masterhalifax; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Masterhalifax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:27 PM   #9
AmtrakRider
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I'm in the same boat I am really leaning towards a new 11in with the 2.0 i7 I feel like that machine would be a pretty nice step up from what I have right now.
AmtrakRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:58 PM   #10
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
I went from a core 2 duo 1.4 to the 2012 i7 2.0. My brother has the new i5 and even that screams. My advise is to upgrade since the "i" series even 2011 Intel's are so much better than the core 2 duo. The C2D are good more basic basic computing. I don't game but I do watch a lot of streaming video and the C2D always stuttered but the i5, i7 run perfectly.

If you don't want to spend a lot get a 2011 refurbished one since even those will be a huge upgrade over the C2D
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
halledise
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterhalifax View Post

Would upgrading the SSD make a massive difference, excuse my ignorance..!
yes - huuuge difference
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help replace a dead drive on a 2009 MBA RedTomato MacBook Air 0 Oct 22, 2013 11:20 AM
How much to replace a MBA battery? ShrubbySoup MacBook Air 9 May 22, 2013 02:56 PM
All iPads: Can iPad replace MBP or MBA??? JoeRito iPad 10 May 10, 2013 12:45 AM
Should I replace my MBP with latest MBA or keep it and buy refurb MBA? yensteel Buying Tips and Advice 5 Jun 29, 2012 02:52 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC