Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmelick07

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
I currently have a 2008 aluminum macbook 2.0 ghz core 2 duo with 4gb ram. I am starting grad school in January and will be riding public transportation every day so I think a macbook air is the best choice for me due to portability.

Now, I am pretty set on staying at a 13 inch screen size but I'm really torn with ram and hard drive size.

I'm looking basically just at the refurb machines from apple and really leaning towards 2012 models due to the usb 3.0 and slightly better graphics.

Anyone have any input? I haven't upgraded in awhile and am a bit lost.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Assuming you want to keep using this computer as long as you used your '08 macbook, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 8GB RAM and i7 upgrades.

Get 2012. Graphics are much better and the computer is very fast.

HD size depends on what you need and how much stuff you install/download. Maybe add another 50% to what currently use to figure that out.

jmelick07

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
I currently only use 80gb. But in reality I could probably trim that down a bit pretty easily. I really don't want to spend the money on the 256 ssd.

Also, does anyone know if the 8gb ram versions ever go on the refurb store?

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Not sure, I think it depends on what state you are in. I'm from Canada, I have never dealt with them before.

jmelick07

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Also, my major gripe with my 2008 macbook is the screen. It's terrible, washed out with terrible viewing angles.

How much better will a 2012 air be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.