Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Brykwil
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Upgrading Ram?

From windows to a Imac,,, Late December my 27in will be here,my new 32GB OWC memory upgrade will be delivered Dec,10! Question,,,,should I run the new Imac for a little while right out of the box, then install new 32GB of ram or install new ram before first start up? pros/cons? Thanks Guys
Brykwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:48 PM   #2
iVoid
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
It won't make any difference when you put the memory in. You just won't have the extra 24GB of RAM until you install the upgrade.

No reason to wait... the iMac won't get attached to the 8GB of RAM and refuse to date the new ram.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Brykwil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thanks,,,could I have just bought 24GB OWC and left Apples 8GB in there and everything would work fine? Or is it best to use all OWC 32GB memory? Thanks
Brykwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
digitalfailure
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
As long as the RAM is the same speed as the Apple installed RAM it should be fine. I have extra RAM from Crucial waiting to go in mine when it arrives.
digitalfailure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
pyzon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brykwil View Post
Thanks,,,could I have just bought 24GB OWC and left Apples 8GB in there and everything would work fine? Or is it best to use all OWC 32GB memory? Thanks
Firstly if you change ram before first boot the apple logic board will recognize this so it will bsod and you'll need to send it back for repair....secondly the OWC 24gb would alienate the lone apple 8gb and the data channels would be clogged with claims as to which ram was actually the dearest, OWC would probably win but you bottleneck would be the apple stick as it 'in theory' owns the ram stomping ground.

Yes you should also change your underpants tomorrow also :-)

Welcome to MAC land!
pyzon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Brykwil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Ok thanks,,I bought 32GB for $195.00! I will use all 32GB OWM to be safe! Will this void Apples warranty if I install it myself?
Brykwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Brykwil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyzon View Post
Firstly if you change ram before first boot the apple logic board will recognize this so it will bsod and you'll need to send it back for repair....secondly the OWC 24gb would alienate the lone apple 8gb and the data channels would be clogged with claims as to which ram was actually the dearest, OWC would probably win but you bottleneck would be the apple stick as it 'in theory' owns the ram stomping ground.



Welcome to MAC land!
Ok thanks,,,I was thinking I would wait a few weeks before upgrading The Ram anyway just to make sure everything is running smoothly! Nice to be part of Mac Land!!
Brykwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Dweez
macrumors 6502a
 
Dweez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Down by the river
Use it, upgrade it, use it. There is no reason NOT to use the system prior to your upgrade.
__________________
sudo make me a sandwich
Dweez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Folsom, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brykwil View Post
Ok thanks,,I bought 32GB for $195.00! I will use all 32GB OWM to be safe! Will this void Apples warranty if I install it myself?
It won't affect it in the least. Go inside the computer that's another story.
__________________
27" iMac i5, 24 GB RAM; MBA 11.6" 1.4GHz 4GB RAM 128GB SSD; Multiple HP Printers; Lacie Quadra D2 external HDs; 4S iPhone; Nikon DLSR
rkaufmann87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Brykwil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
It won't affect it in the least. Go inside the computer that's another story.
Great,,,,,,can't wait!
Brykwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:42 PM   #11
pyzon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brykwil View Post
Ok thanks,,,I was thinking I would wait a few weeks before upgrading The Ram anyway just to make sure everything is running smoothly! Nice to be part of Mac Land!!
Errr sorry I was only pulling your leg with that b.s. ;-)

Listen to the others.....
pyzon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Brykwil
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyzon View Post
Errr sorry I was only pulling your leg with that b.s. ;-)

Listen to the others.....
Wow,,what a dick!! My first & last thread! I will find a new site to post my unworthy questions! Thanks
Brykwil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:54 PM   #13
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brykwil View Post
Wow,,what a dick!! My first & last thread! I will find a new site to post my unworthy questions! Thanks
I didn't think pyzon's post was that bad, at least compared to some of the stuff you see around the 'net. And he/she did apologize.

If you do leave, though, you'll be hard pressed to find a community like this. Sure, the signal to noise ratio isn't always as high as I'd like, but there's lots of good information here, too.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC