Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Protection Plan for Canon 5D Mark III

I've decided to purchase the Canon 5D Mark III camera - vendor B&H. My only hangup is whether I should also purchase a protection plan. B & H offer a 2 or 3 year plan. I am not a professional, don't plan on using it on a trip in the jungle somewhere and I can't possibly envision a circumstance where I would have the opportunity to drop the camera into water. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
ocabj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGregory View Post
I've decided to purchase the Canon 5D Mark III camera - vendor B&H. My only hangup is whether I should also purchase a protection plan. B & H offer a 2 or 3 year plan. I am not a professional, don't plan on using it on a trip in the jungle somewhere and I can't possibly envision a circumstance where I would have the opportunity to drop the camera into water. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If you want peace of mind, get it. I never buy protection plans.

I've had five bodies since the XTi through to the 5D Mark III and never had an 'accident'. But it only takes one, right?
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
ctyhntr
macrumors 6502

As the previous poster pointed out, its all for peace of mind. Here are some alternatives.

Do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance. Camera equipment may already be covered, or an inexpensive rider.

Are you making the purchase with an American Express card? If so, here is the link to more details their purchase protection plan.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rotection.html

If you're not using American Express, then check with your credit card company to see what purchase benefits applies to you.

Assess what you have to establish a baseline, then you can identify if the additional coverage is redundant or covers a gap.
ctyhntr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:57 AM   #4
nburwell
macrumors 68000

I personally never buy protection plans with any DSLR that I buy. For me, it's just personal preference. It doesn't seem like you're going to be using the 5DIII in any extreme circumstances. However, the warranty could come in handy if you're near a body of water, and you somehow drop the camera in said water. But again, that could be a rare circumstance depending on where you live.

If I were you, I would skip it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGregory View Post
The truth is (at least from my 10 years of selling consumer electronics/warranty's and dealing with warranty repairs) that warranty's usually only cover defects in the product, so the type of faults a jungle adventure would cause probably wouldn't be covered anyway. Put it this way, your buying insurance for your product (just like for a home and car) and the pricing of that insurance depends on the risk involved (home insurance is less expensive then car insurance because of lower risk). In my time on the floor the cost associated with cameras and home audio have always been the least expensive by a pretty good margin. TV's were the second highest and laptops were always the most expensive. Did I deal with extended warranty claims on cameras in my 10 years? Yes, but I could count them on one hand. Even then they were either cheap models that were known to have issues or had questionable damage to the outer casing that MAY have caused the issue. I can't remember ever writing up a DSLR. Hope this helps!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:07 PM   #6
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Thanks Gentlemen

Your responses were very helpful. I went ahead and placed the order without the protection plan.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography