Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:10 PM   #76
///M Powah
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartmartyr View Post
I choose white, cus I like the white better.......

pretty much the reasoning of everyone... what a stupid question
It is not a stupid question. I just wanted to know their opinions.
///M Powah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:34 PM   #77
skottichan
macrumors 6502a
 
skottichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Black. Mostly because it matches the vast majority of my shoes, clutches and purses.


I'm sure it's obvious that I am a woman.


Never been a fan of white phones.
skottichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:11 PM   #78
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I chose black because it is what i'm used to mainly. Had dark phones all my life and I like it that way. (insert once you go black joke here... )

The white to me just wasnt appealing. The two tone colors just didnt work well and the color inbetween the main white of the phone (the phrase is escaping me right now) just didnt look good.
__________________
2012 15" rMBP 2.7 GHz 8GB RAM 512GB SSD --- iPhone 5s Space Grey 32GB
Twitter
TaylorMatsu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:47 PM   #79
NYDiplomat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I've always had a black phone. If the iPhone would ever come out with a dark gray phone. I would be all over it.
__________________
24" iMac; 4th gen iPod nano 4GB; iPhone 5 64GB (Game Center: Diplomat)
NYDiplomat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:48 PM   #80
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
I picked black because I am male.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:13 PM   #81
mtondreo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
wanted black - got white because of inventory. has a black case on it though. also - I don't think anyone mentioned on here that the white is actually faster.
mtondreo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:48 PM   #82
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
I picked black because I am male.
What does being a male have to do with it?

----------

I went with white because of inventory but I like how it doesn't scratch as easily as the black. It grew on me. Also I am confident with my sexuality unlike some others.
Prime85 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:50 PM   #83
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Black iPhone 5 looks alot more sleek.
Jordan921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:07 PM   #84
ZhenyaF
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I've always had the black iPhone, was about to get a white one this time, but in my opinion, black iPhone 5 looks better
__________________
15" rMBP;TV2; Mine- iPhone 5 - 64GB/Black and iPad rMini 16gb/wifi; Wife's - iPhone 5s 32GB/Slate and iPad air 16GB/Wifi
ZhenyaF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:36 PM   #85
dw3bb10
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I really like both designs, but I had always loved how the white iPhone 4/4s looked. This was my first iPhone, so I opted for the white. All of the scuffing issues with the black model influenced my decision as well. SOMETIMES, I do wish I had got the black though. Love the way it looks.
__________________
2012 cMBP 2.3/8GB/128GB SSD
iPhone 5 - 16GB - White & Silver - Sprint
dw3bb10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #86
///M Powah
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw3bb10 View Post
I really like both designs, but I had always loved how the white iPhone 4/4s looked. This was my first iPhone, so I opted for the white. All of the scuffing issues with the black model influenced my decision as well. SOMETIMES, I do wish I had got the black though. Love the way it looks.
imo the black looks too plain.
__________________
iPhone 5 White & Silver 64GB (AT&T) iPhone 4 Black 32GB (Sold) iPhone 3G 16GB Black (Sold)
///M Powah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:08 PM   #87
aPple nErd
macrumors 65816
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
White cause it's sleeker and nicer

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
What does being a male have to do with it?

----------

I went with white because of inventory but I like how it doesn't scratch as easily as the black. It grew on me. Also I am confident with my sexuality unlike some others.
I picked white confidently and I am male also so ya...
aPple nErd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:14 PM   #88
nutmac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I normally prefer whites iOS gears, but I think black iPhone 5 is nicer looking this time around.

Having said that, I still picked white for practical reasons. (1) it scuffs less, (2) it does not show fingerprint, dirt, and scratches as much as black, and (3) I like how it matches iOS accessories (which are almost all white) better.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:19 PM   #89
naisdes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I had a white iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S III, so it was time to go back to black for the iPhone 5. Looks more professional. My iPad Mini is white though because it looks pretty cool. iPad 2 was also black.
naisdes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:19 PM   #90
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Can't go wrong with either, but I like the black due to the slate finish.
cambookpro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:24 PM   #91
chrscap
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Everyone knows the black one is faster
chrscap is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:18 PM   #92
bushido
macrumors 601
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: España y Germany
White, i love how the bezel sparkles when u look at it from a distance and the black one shows too many finger prints
__________________
¡No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio!
bushido is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:14 PM   #93
///M Powah
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
White, i love how the bezel sparkles when u look at it from a distance and the black one shows too many finger prints
Indeed.
__________________
iPhone 5 White & Silver 64GB (AT&T) iPhone 4 Black 32GB (Sold) iPhone 3G 16GB Black (Sold)
///M Powah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:22 PM   #94
josh995
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by borostef View Post
That is because they tend to be cheaper, all cars are white first... It is the base paint... Then, after the base paint, they become black, red, yellow or whatever...
Nothing to do with choice of iPhone colour though...
Whut??? That's not true! The white base paint is not the final coat of paint before the clear coat. My grandfather did paint work for Cadillac for several years. The reason is because most white cars aren't just 'standard white' they almost all have a tint to them that is mixed specifically for each manufacturer.

Nowadays, white paint can cost a few hundred dollars extra on some cars

And hey people, what's with all the bimmers? Where's the mercedes love??

Last edited by josh995; Aug 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
josh995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:42 PM   #95
jetlagged
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
i went with the black iphone 5 mainly because:

1) primary reason, the color itself is just screams iphone 5. if i chose white, it would have looked like an iphone 4/4S. i had a white iphone 4 before selling it, and getting the 5.

2) the secondary reason is: the black iphone just looks good in a lot of cases thats being produced out there. the white phone 5, well theres only a few cases where the white one will look good on it. i'm sporting the black incipio frequency case with my black iphone 5, and the combination just looks great.

my only gripe about the black iphone 5 with the incipio frequency case combo is that dusts is visibly more noticeable, especially when i put it in my pants/jeans pocket, and take it out afterwards.
jetlagged is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 PM   #96
aerre
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Went to the store. Asked for a black one. They only had the white. No choice. I got it. I'm happy.
aerre is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:58 PM   #97
dabigone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Cause black just feels bigger.
dabigone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:37 PM   #98
apfeljonas
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar002 View Post
Don't have an iphone5 yet... Generally I only drive black cars and use black phones; it looks sexier, more powerful, conveys authority and respect. I like to be taken serious perceive a "powerful" image... I LOVE driving a black car; it gets dirty fast but I feel "powerful" driving it, like people take me seriously and give me more respect. It's probably all in my head but as long as it makes me "feel" that way then why not?

However, from what I've been reading black iphone5 shows scratches faster which is the only reason why I am leaning towards white... however, aesthetically black looks better.

Look at Presidents and Prime Ministers; do they drive white cars? No, they always get chauffeured in black cars because it looks more "official" and "prestigious". I want to be taken seriously. Nothing looks more powerful than a black Benz or BMW.... However, I don't want a scratched up iphone so I still have to consider white...
y u no audi?
__________________
Used Mainly
MacBook Pro, Late 2011, i5 2.4 GHz iPhone 5 32 GB Black
Not Used as Much
iPad 1, 32 GB iPod touch 4G, 32 GB Some older stuff...
apfeljonas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:22 PM   #99
cole01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I chose black for my iPhone 5.
- I had a white 4S and wanted it to look different
- The all black iPhone 5 is just incredibly sexy and sleek.
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7, 1TB Fusion, 680MX ; Unibody C2D Macbook Pro 2.66 ; iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB ; iPad 3 White 32GB Cellular ; iPad mini Black 32GB Wifi
cole01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:39 PM   #100
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020
 
TheMacBookPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
 
see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by borostef View Post
That is because they tend to be cheaper, all cars are white first... It is the base paint... Then, after the base paint, they become black, red, yellow or whatever...
Nothing to do with choice of iPhone colour though...
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not like manufacturers just throw clearcoat over the base layer and sell it- white cars go through exactly the same processes a black car does.

All of the cars I've looked at have least black & white as a no cost option (some have nonmetallic silver/red/etc available too). Some colors cost more due to their metallic qualities, not because it's a different color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfeljonas View Post
y u no audi?
I've got a Glacier White S4 as well I seem to have a thing for white cars, yet I prefer black gadgets.
__________________
.MacBook Pro¹⁵ (Retina.2.6.16.512) | iPhone⁵ˢ (Space Gray.64.LTE) | iPad³ (Black.64.LTE) | Surfaceᴿᵀ (64.touch) | Nexus⁷ (16)
TheMacBookPro is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC