Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Joypad's Game Console iPad App Makes It Easy to Find Compatible Games

Zell Interactive's Joypad Game Controller was originally released in mid-2011. As a standalone app, it turned the iPhone into a wireless virtual controller for several Mac and iPad games.

Unfortunately, finding games that worked with the iPhone app was a pain, requiring gamers to visit the Joypad website for a list or to stumble across a compatible app on the App Store.

That changed this week, with the release of the Joypad Game Console. The Game Console turns the iPad into a dashboard that lists all of the Joypad enabled apps. It's like an iOS version of Xbox Live, containing a list of featured games, a list of games that are already installed on the iPad, and a full list of all games that Joypad supports.

Users can tap on one of the apps listed in the Game Console to get more information on it, including an app description, YouTube trailer, and a link to purchase said app on the App Store.

After purchase, the Console can be linked via Wi-Fi to the Joypad Game Controller, which was recently updated with Game Console compatibility and all new skins. The Game Console app can also be connected to the Apple TV so that gamers can play their favorite titles on the big screen.

The Joypad Game Console is a handy addition to the Joypad Game Controller because it's a one stop shop for games. The only downside to both products is the limited game selection, which features just 17 titles.

Joypad Game Console is a free download from the App Store for the iPad. [Direct Link]

Joypad Game Controller is free for the iPhone. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Joypad's Game Console iPad App Makes It Easy to Find Compatible Games
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Jarson
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Jarson
Well done. Cool app, it's like a mobile version of Steam. I like the navigation through the store using an iPhone.
Twitter: @jarosinskik

Last edited by Jarson; Dec 20, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Jarson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

I fear Apple may quickly pull this because of their new app promoting policy.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
I fear Apple may quickly pull this because of their new app promoting policy.
I was thinking the same thing. Haven't they already pulled tons of apps from the store on account of them serving no purpose besides advertising other apps?

Why not just build this feature into the existing controller app?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:44 PM   #5
FooMan2011
macrumors member

Now that is an useful app!! Genius
FooMan2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:08 PM   #6
mcstain
macrumors newbie

I believe this is how gaming will be implemented on the Apple TV one day. Imagine four player multiplayer with everyone using their iPhones as controllers.
mcstain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Megagator
macrumors regular

It's is interesting. I don't think it will be pulled for advertising other apps. Technically all those apps use their SDK so part of the app is theirs. Plus there's no price listed. It's more of an app launcher. Still don't know why Touch Arcade app hasn't been pulled. At least part of that app is exactly the same as Appshopper.
Meanwhile, why hasn't Joypad for iPhone been updated for the widescreen?
Megagator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:55 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G5

This sounded like a goofy idea, but for free I tried it, and it’s fun! You can navigate between games and within games using just the “controller,” and I already owned a number of Joypad games as it turns out. Kind of fun when hooked to projector.

I’d rather use a physical controller, but whatever “special” control gizmo you like (this, iCade, whatever), it’s neat to have an app that brings all the compatible games into one place. Saves me having to keep track of a folder manually or something. I hope iCade gets a similar central app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagator View Post
It's is interesting. I don't think it will be pulled for advertising other apps. Technically all those apps use their SDK so part of the app is theirs. Plus there's no price listed. It's more of an app launcher. Still don't know why Touch Arcade app hasn't been pulled. At least part of that app is exactly the same as Appshopper.
Meanwhile, why hasn't Joypad for iPhone been updated for the widescreen?
Plus, this app doesn’t exist just to promote other apps—that’s more of a secondary convenience. It’s primarily a launcher—a special kind that you use remotely—so it’s got a real purpose.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:42 PM   #9
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I can see this being done with the apple tv as well. Maybe even use the iphones as some sort of wiimote.