Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
iPad needs USB 3.0

I've upgraded most of my external HDDs and USB sticks to USB 3.0 and now transferring movies and stuff to my iPad is quite annoying. Takes forever to transfer a couple gigs of movies I downloaded off the internet.

Hopefully, they finally put in USB 3.0 so the people with newer Macs can take advantage of faster write speeds.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I've upgraded most of my external HDDs and USB sticks to USB 3.0 and now transferring movies and stuff to my iPad is quite annoying. Takes forever to transfer a couple gigs of movies I downloaded off the internet.

Hopefully, they finally put in USB 3.0 so the people with newer Macs can take advantage of faster write speeds.
Mobile devices use flash that I'm not even sure saturates USB2 at this point.
burgundyyears is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
AutoUnion39
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyyears View Post
Mobile devices use flash that I'm not even sure saturates USB2 at this point.
I'm sure the flash chips inside these mobile devices can take advantage of USB3.0, if they put in higher speed storage chips.

I remember my old Nokia N95. Literally took an hour to transfer 1gb file to its internal memory.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
If they put high speed memory it would need to be low density SLC chips, the MLC chips used in cheaper components doesn't go that fast. The cheapo MicroSD Sandisk chip I got for my droid only does 10meg/sec write speed. Given apple are Pennypinching tightasses, I'd say we're stuck at these speeds for a little while.
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Intell
macrumors G5
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I'm sure the flash chips inside these mobile devices can take advantage of USB3.0, if they put in higher speed storage chips.

I remember my old Nokia N95. Literally took an hour to transfer 1gb file to its internal memory.
The NAND flash chips in the iPhone 5 can only do a maximum write speed of 21 mega bytes per second. That's still well within the range of USB 2.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:48 PM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I'm sure the flash chips inside these mobile devices can take advantage of USB3.0, if they put in higher speed storage chips.
Of course they could. There's good reason that they don't. People already gripe about the costs.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:41 AM   #7
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
apple is encouraging users to pay for movies from itunes.
racoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC