Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

Can a pixel die later?

I'm sorry to say that I think I have a dead pixel in the center of my 12" PB screen. I got it in January right after they came out, and I see tonight that it is sticking out in front of me. Now I have seen these before, or stuck ones on other computers, but is it normal for one to just poop out?

Also, would Apple do anything for me on this? I know the machine is under warranty but I'm in Grand Forks, ND (4 hours from nearest Apple store). I'm disappointed because my perfect screen now has an obvious flaw in it. One bonus is the small pixel size. On a 15" at 1024x768 (what I use at work) the stuck red pixel is much more noticable.
Superdrive is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
Yep, they can go out at any time. It more usual for them to be out at the beginning or first week or two, but it can happen at any time.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 09:51 AM   #3
mjstew33
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrive
I'm sorry to say that I think I have a dead pixel in the center of my 12" PB screen. I got it in January right after they came out, and I see tonight that it is sticking out in front of me. Now I have seen these before, or stuck ones on other computers, but is it normal for one to just poop out?

Also, would Apple do anything for me on this? I know the machine is under warranty but I'm in Grand Forks, ND (4 hours from nearest Apple store). I'm disappointed because my perfect screen now has an obvious flaw in it. One bonus is the small pixel size. On a 15" at 1024x768 (what I use at work) the stuck red pixel is much more noticable.
If you have a dead pixel, try and take a eraser to it and gently massage it.
I've heard of Itasor's pixel murder. I can't find it right now though. But a lot of people say it works. I'll get back to you if I find it.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:19 AM   #4
martin1000
macrumors regular

I found this on hardmac. I've never had to use it but they claim it works.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2005-09-15/#4495

Good Luck!
martin1000 is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2005, 03:22 PM   #5
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstewart92
If you have a dead pixel, try and take a eraser to it and gently massage it.
I've heard of Itasor's pixel murder. I can't find it right now though. But a lot of people say it works. I'll get back to you if I find it.

DO NOT USE AN ERASER. It leaves this hard to notice smear stuff that you will spend years trying to get off.

http://itasor.com/pixelmurder.MP4 <-Right/Control Click and save as. Shrink to about 1.5" and run it in loop (in Quick Time) over night under the pixel which has the problem.

Make sure your screen is not set to sleep. And I don't take any blame if anything bad happens, consider that a disclaimer.

And it's not my pixelmurder, it for PSP's, I named it pixelmurder, resaved it, recommended it, and because famous all over the place for it.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 04:00 PM   #6
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

Thanks, got the file and I'm running it. Any reason this works? and is called pixelMURDER? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone dealt with Apple on this end before?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 04:36 PM   #7
briansolomon
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to briansolomon
i had a problem with a loose pixel but haven't recently. to fix it i just poke at the back of the screen where it was and it goes away.
briansolomon is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2005, 08:02 PM   #8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks, got the file and I'm running it. Any reason this works? and is called pixelMURDER? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone dealt with Apple on this end before?
Just to clarify, that won't do anything for a dead pixel (one that is black and not doing anything), it will only work for stuck pixels; and even them it only works sometimes.
40167 is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:02 PM   #9
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

Well hopefully Apple can do something if this utility doesnt.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:45 PM   #10
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well hopefully Apple can do something if this utility doesnt.
Apple doesn't have a zero dead pixel policy, so your chances of having them fix it are pretty much zero. Thats unless the manager is really nice at your local store; as they can replace the display with any faults at their own discretion... with that said, they do NOT have to replace it as theres no policy in place forcing them to do so.
40167 is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:28 AM   #11
KittenKrusher
macrumors regular

Yeah, Apple most likely will not do anything.
KittenKrusher is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers