Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:56 AM   #1
zen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Constant disk activity with 2.3Ghz i7 late 2012 Mac mini

I've only had my new Mac mini a few days, but I've noticed nearly constant hard disk activity, even when the machine is doing nothing.

My office is nearly silent when I start work in the morning, and I was puzzled by the slight ticking from my computer. I opened Activity Monitor, and under Disk Activity it shows nearly constant activity under writes out/sec, data read/sec, and data written/sec. The amount of data is only about 4k to 500k, but it is constant, and I can hear the hard drive working when the computer is doing absolutely nothing.

I have 16GB of RAM and a regular factory hard drive.

It's not a problem and there are no performance issues, but I'm curious. Is this normal computer behaviour?
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:16 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
I've only had my new Mac mini a few days, but I've noticed nearly constant hard disk activity, even when the machine is doing nothing.

My office is nearly silent when I start work in the morning, and I was puzzled by the slight ticking from my computer. I opened Activity Monitor, and under Disk Activity it shows nearly constant activity under writes out/sec, data read/sec, and data written/sec. The amount of data is only about 4k to 500k, but it is constant, and I can hear the hard drive working when the computer is doing absolutely nothing.

I have 16GB of RAM and a regular factory hard drive.

It's not a problem and there are no performance issues, but I'm curious. Is this normal computer behaviour?
Do you have TimeMachine running on the Mini?

Open Activity Monitor, select processes for all user in the drop down menu on top and make a screenshot (Command-Shift-4 then hit spacebar and click AM window) post screenshot here.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:34 AM   #3
zen
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Do you have TimeMachine running on the Mini?

Open Activity Monitor, select processes for all user in the drop down menu on top and make a screenshot (Command-Shift-4 then hit spacebar and click AM window) post screenshot here.
I have Time Machine, yes, but a backup isn't running when I get the disk activity.

Screenshot posted:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 08.32.56.png
Views:	80
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	382641  
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:17 AM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Log messages in Console utility may be of some help. Of course, logging messages is itself a task that writes to disk.
It could be Spotlight indexing (though that doesn't seem to be evident from your photo), or various other tasks.
If you had a Fusion drive, then it might even be the OS moving files around.

I would be worried if there was a constant and continual significant amount of data being written, all the time forever. Otherwise, if performance isn't affected, then you have nothing to worry about.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:29 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
I have Time Machine, yes, but a backup isn't running when I get the disk activity.

Screenshot posted:
Not much to see, although I see 2 instances of MDworker which is part of Spotlight indexing AFAIK but no processor activity there.
Are there two active users(2 X MDworker)

You should also look at how many pageouts there are in Activity Monitor's System Memory.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Mini Late 2012 i7 2.3GHz -> New and ready to Upgrade -> Benchmarks dbasco Mac mini 9 May 17, 2013 10:28 AM
Late 2012 mac mini or late 2012 imac? Pianoman0018 iMac 2 Jan 7, 2013 06:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC