Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elberto1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Hi Forum Experts,

I'm trying to sell a heavily-modified MBP Late 2007:

2.2Ghz c2d
4Gb Ram [Double what it came with]
512mb GDDR3 Graphics Card [Quadruple what it came with]
1Gb 7200 Rpm [Octuple what it came with; plus quicker rpms]

The video card was changed when I took my computer in for video card repair. I did a graphics check on bootcamp using PCID. It pointed out that my video card now has 512mb. Also, it can run games it never could before (HL2: Lost Coast; SC2 etc.).

What price do you think I could get for it? (Old - I know!)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I don't think you will get a lot more than other similar models. If people wants a good spec computer then they will be looking at more 'modern' computer. Therefore, potential buyers will only be people that who don't cares much about spec and people that can't afford newer Mac.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
4gb of ram brand new today is about $25
a 1tb drive, brand new today is about $120 if that.

i.e., the value of your secondhand components will be significantly less.

not sure on the GPU, but I'd suggest that if you were to add say $70 on top of the current ebay value of the base spec machine that machine was built from you'd be somewhere in the ballpark.

No, you won't get your money back...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.