Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
theturtle
macrumors 6502

Want to Quit After a Week

Hello.

Wanted to get some opinions. So i got a job to make some spending cash and started last week. I worked three times a week, and after one week I knew right off the back that i hated it, that it might not be for me. I would try to tough it out but in January, I am taking a prep course which makes my January brutal. Im afraid i wont be able to fully dedicate myself to my studies going back and forth to work (about a 2-3 hour round commute on the train). On the off days that I don't go to class, I would prefer to just do the prep hw and relax. But if i work, that opportunity goes away.

Do you guys recommend quitting asap or waiting for a bit?

if it matters, im working at a golds gym. Working behind a counter all day.
theturtle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle View Post
Hello.

Wanted to get some opinions. So i got a job to make some spending cash and started last week. I worked three times a week, and after one week I knew right off the back that i hated it, that it might not be for me. I would try to tough it out but in January, I am taking a prep course which makes my January brutal. Im afraid i wont be able to fully dedicate myself to my studies going back and forth to work (about a 2-3 hour round commute on the train). On the off days that I don't go to class, I would prefer to just do the prep hw and relax. But if i work, that opportunity goes away.

Just politely tell the manager that you are giving your two weeks notice. Explain to them that you dislike the work, and that you can't give them your best, and since you can't do that it isn't fair to them.
eric/ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:32 PM   #3
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

What eric said. I was in a similar situation. If you didn't mind the work, it would be a different story but if you hate it, there really is no point of continuing especially if you're going to pursue further studies at school - it's not worth the time and stress.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Leet Apple
macrumors 6502a

find another job before quitting would be my suggestion, i recently got a terrible job but i'm not planning to quit before i can get something else. $700 every two weeks is great for someone my age and no living expenses.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:43 AM   #5
b3av3r
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to b3av3r Send a message via Yahoo to b3av3r
it depends on how much you need the money. if you are just working there for extra cash and won't miss the money then turn in a two weeks notice. if you need the money to pay bills and live then you just need to suck it up until you find another job.
b3av3r is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:26 AM   #6
shigzeo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to shigzeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle View Post
Hello.

Back in uni, I had no choice. In my final years, I held down a 24-35 hour a week job and did all my work. It's just something that happens. If you don't think you can hack it though, then maybe it's better to quit.

Still, uni was the least busy time in my life. Had I known what I know now, I'd probably not have graduated.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
zioxide
macrumors 603

If the money isn't an issue then just tell them the job isn't what you expected/isn't for you and offer to work out your two weeks. Most jobs like that see high turnover so they're used to situations like this, it's not a big deal.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
hectorlito
macrumors newbie

I say stick it out for a bit. Especially in the economy. You never know when you will get another job so that spending money won't be available to you after you quit. You also don't know whether or not you can survive school and work yet. You said it has only been a week so you should give it some time!
hectorlito is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Huntn
macrumors 604

It all boils down to choices. How much do you need to focus on your studies? How badly do you need spending money? How badly do you hate your job? Put them on your mental scale. Others can't do that for you.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:01 AM   #10
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502

I say keep the job until your school starts back in January. It's only one month, you can handle that
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion