Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
TH55
macrumors 68000

Why doesn't the Notes app have a save function?

This makes no sense, I can't count how many times I've accidentally deleted valuable information with no way to retrieve it. Before you tell me to "shake to undo" I've disabled this incredibly obnoxious, intrusive feature because it was constantly popping up at the slightest movement of my phone and I hardly ever used it.

The notes program should also be more organized and efficient, it really has no "design" or form, it's just a blank page.

Is there an app that performs this function better, and let's you make entries that are saved?
TH55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Try Evernote

Notes is supposed to be very simple and basic. That's the whole point of it. Plenty of other note management apps out there.

As to your experience with shake-to-undo popping up unexpectedly, you should get your device checked. I need to pretty explicitly shake my iDevices to initiate the Undo function. If yours is kicking as much as you describe, that sounds like a hardware problem.
deeddawg is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Wow, you have a problem with your phone? It's a NOTEPAD for basic functionality, if you need a more robust system there are plenty of Apps on the store. It's like asking why the stock weather app doesn't show humidity and air pressure, that's not what it's designed for.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Notes are automatically saved and send to iCloud if activated.
I think what you want is to lock a note entry. Which could be a good idea, but how do you keep erasing stuff? I never have had this issue since one has to swipe and then press delete or inside the note you have to click the trash. If you are talking about info inside a note that you deleted by mistake then yeah that can happen.

This is for notes. If you want something more permanent and that you can undo and redo then use Pages. It's free with iOS 7
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:42 PM   #5
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
Try Evernote

Notes is supposed to be very simple and basic. That's the whole point of it. Plenty of other note management apps out there.

As to your experience with shake-to-undo popping up unexpectedly, you should get your device checked. I need to pretty explicitly shake my iDevices to initiate the Undo function. If yours is kicking as much as you describe, that sounds like a hardware problem.
Ok thanks
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
This makes no sense, I can't count how many times I've accidentally deleted valuable information with no way to retrieve it. Before you tell me to "shake to undo" I've disabled this incredibly obnoxious, intrusive feature because it was constantly popping up at the slightest movement of my phone and I hardly ever used it.

The notes program should also be more organized and efficient, it really has no "design" or form, it's just a blank page.

Is there an app that performs this function better, and let's you make entries that are saved?
Do you have Parkinson's disease or something? The amount of times I've accidentally done "shake to undo" has been very little, and it's been incredibly useful when I have used it. If your typical usage involves randomly shaking the device, then you'd must understand that it may not work as you'd like it to.

I've been using the Notes app since 2009, and I've never had such issues with it.

I think my wife has used iOS for two years before she even knew there was a "shake to undo" feature - basically, she had NEVER seen it before.
Xenomorph is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Oui
Banned

How do you accidentally slide your finger across a note and then tap delete?
Oui is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 05:15 PM   #8
EM2013
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Do you have Parkinson's disease or something? The amount of times I've accidentally done "shake to undo" has been very little, and it's been incredibly useful when I have used it. If your typical usage involves randomly shaking the device, then you'd must understand that it may not work as you'd like it to.

I've been using the Notes app since 2009, and I've never had such issues with it.

I think my wife has used iOS for two years before she even knew there was a "shake to undo" feature - basically, she had NEVER seen it before.
Looking at the thread starter's posts, I'm thinking he's just a troll.
EM2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 09:44 AM   #9
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2013 View Post
Looking at the thread starter's posts, I'm thinking he's just a troll.
How does starting threads addressing and questioning the multitude of flaws on the iPhone make me a troll?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oui View Post
How do you accidentally slide your finger across a note and then tap delete?
I'm obviously talking about deleting content within each note, why else would I mention the shake to undo feature?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:11 AM   #10
parseckadet
macrumors 6502

If you're finding it too easy to activate the shake to undo I agree that you need to get your phone exchanged or something. I have to shake mine pretty hard to get it to activate. In fact, I wish it would activate a little bit easier. There have been times where I had to shake so hard I was worried the phone would fly out of my hand.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:40 PM   #11
Oui
Banned

Quote:
How does starting threads addressing and questioning the multitude of flaws on the iPhone make me a troll?

----------

I'm obviously talking about deleting content within each note, why else would I mention the shake to undo feature?
Well, The app still asks again to delete the note. Sounds to me like your complaining just to complain.

Last edited by Oui; Oct 28, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Oui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 09:26 PM   #12
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Well, The app still asks again to delete the note. Sounds to me like your complaining just to complain.
What are you talking about?? Read what I typed, I just said I'm referring specifically to when I accidentally delete a WORD or SENTENCE within the note.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 09:37 PM   #13
nwmtnbiker
macrumors 65816

I have to violently shake my phone for that to pop up! Don't know how long the "Shake to undo" feature has been in iOS but I've been using iPhones for 5 years & this is the 1st time I've seen it!

Btw thanks OP for reminding me of another great feature.

*I've been using pocket informant for many years and it has a ton of features. I do not remember how much it cost though..,
nwmtnbiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:07 PM   #14
vistadude
macrumors 65816

Windows RT: 1, iOS: 0.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Oui
Banned

Quote:
What are you talking about?? Read what I typed, I just said I'm referring specifically to when I accidentally delete a WORD or SENTENCE within the note.
Well, then my original comment stands how do you accidentally delete a WORD or SENTENCE? Thats just stupid. You obviously have an issue and need to stop using the notes app and move on.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:18 PM   #16
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Well, then my original comment stands how do you accidentally delete a WORD or SENTENCE? Thats just stupid. You obviously have an issue and need to stop using the notes app and move on.
How does your original comment still stand?? You referred to sliding to delete an ENTIRE NOTE, not just a sentence or word.

And it is incredibly easy to accidentally delete too much when holding delete, or even more annoying is when you try to place the cursor and it highlights the word in red then any key you hit deletes it.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:54 PM   #17
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502

...it automatically saves instantly via icloud...
AppleFan91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Oui
Banned

Quote:
How does your original comment still stand?? You referred to sliding to delete an ENTIRE NOTE, not just a sentence or word.

And it is incredibly easy to accidentally delete too much when holding delete, or even more annoying is when you try to place the cursor and it highlights the word in red then any key you hit deletes it.
Whatever dud, it's not as easy as you would like for us to believe.
I have never accidentally deleted anything from the note app.
And if you seem to have this issue you really need to find another app.
You're never going to convince me otherwise so I am out.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #19
eecyclone
macrumors regular

I probably rely on the notes app too much... But it seems to work great for me and my workflow.
eecyclone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 03:35 PM   #20
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Wouldn't you have the the same problem in any app that requires typing? Why limit it to just Notes?
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:27 PM   #21
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
Wouldn't you have the the same problem in any app that requires typing? Why limit it to just Notes?
Because notes are intended to be saved information, but if youre asking if this obnoxious feature of highlighting words permeates every facet of typing on iPhones, the answer is yes.

Last edited by TH55; Oct 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:52 PM   #22
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
They are saved....until you delete them.

If you delete stuff by accident that often then it seems you could use shake to undo a lot more than you think.

Quote:
You mispelled it. You can select the correct spelling, tap away from it, or replace it by starting to type the correct word again.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:36 AM   #23
LV426
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Thanks! I never knew it was there either until I just tried it.
LV426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:15 AM   #24
GlenK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
Thanks! I never knew it was there either until I just tried it.
Me too!!! Been using notes for years & never knew that one!! I've never had an issue using notes & sync them to 3 devices. The iOS7'version of notes in very plain but the functionality is fine. Been looking around for a more visually appealing version but every one I see has reviews about issues with syncing.

Can't give that up!!!!
GlenK is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone