Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:24 AM   #1
logicpro7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Should i do this deal? UK

A friend has offered to do a deal although im not too sure what to do.

I have the following...
Latest 2012 13"mbp i5 with 16gb ram, samsung 256gb 830 ssd, 500gb momentus xt hd.

And a non thunderbolt 27" Cinema Display.


My friend has a...
27" iMac, 2.66 i5 Quad core, 8mb L3, 16gb ram, 1tb hd, ATI 4850hd 512mb.

He will also give me 1000 cash.


Now, i could buy another 13"mbp for 850 new with a 3 year warranty and modify it again and use the iMac as a second computer and also as a second screen for the new 13". I have a home studio and work with fcpx and logic studio so i need the big screen for long sessions.

Would using the iMac as a second screen cause any problems?

The other option is that i could sell the iMac and buy a new thunderbolt display with new warranty?

How much is the above iMac worth (UK)

Thanks.
__________________
13" 2.5 i5 MacBook Pro - 16GB RAM - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD - Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid - 27" Apple LED Cinema Display - ATV3 1080P - Slate iPhone 5 16GB
logicpro7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:15 AM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
For me....

that computer will be worth 600 pounds, tops. Counting in no cosmetic/functional issues, good care of the machine. Can go up if still exists some AppleCare


__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:52 AM   #3
davidjearly
macrumors 68000
 
davidjearly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
I think the 600 is low. Assuming it's in excellent condition, it'll easily reach 700-800 on eBay.

For me, the more pertinent point is whether you are willing to consider putting that much money into used hardware that could croak at any time. For that reason, warranty would be key in my decision.
__________________
15" i7 rMBP (late 2013) | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 5S 64GB | Apple TV 2 | Nikon 1 Series
Flickr
500px
davidjearly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a good deal? Craigslist deal Redrum509 Buying Tips and Advice 6 Feb 12, 2013 08:32 PM
Deal or No deal: iPhone 5 at $835? Blackberryroid Buying Tips and Advice 8 Sep 30, 2012 01:00 PM
iPhone 4S 64GB at 400$....deal or no deal ? rak007 iPhone 5 Sep 14, 2012 11:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC