Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I've done a forum search but turned up nothing.

I've just given my old emac to someone and they, understandably are irritated at my name being announced as the owner at the log in screen.

Can this be changed?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
New Mac - new OS install. I recommend for everybody's sake reinstalling OSX. It just keeps things clean and means that your old data is relatively safe (deleted) and that no blame can be put on you if things start not working (unlikely).

Nevertheless, creating a new account from the System Preferences (give it administrator privileges) should mean your friend will see more of their own name in future. :)

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Yeah, she is the only one with accounts. One normal admin and one spare troubleshooting admin. All my crap has been deleted. But it still says "Dogbone's eMac" at the top of the Log in screen.

Is there a way of changing this with terminal?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
dogbone said:
Yeah, she is the only one with accounts. One normal admin and one spare troubleshooting admin. All my crap has been deleted. But it still says "Dogbone's eMac" at the top of the Log in screen.

Is there a way of changing this with terminal?
Go into System Preferences > Sharing and at the top should be a spot to rename the computer

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
dogbone said:
Whoa that was easy. I thought it was going to be one of those 39 step nightmares like changing the short user name.
I second mad jew's suggestion though. A clean install is just... clean :)
mad jew said:
New Mac - new OS install. I recommend for everybody's sake reinstalling OSX. It just keeps things clean and means that your old data is relatively safe (deleted) and that no blame can be put on you if things start not working (unlikely).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.