Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:19 AM   #1
psionpete
macrumors newbie

Importing images to iMovie

I have just installed iMovie, as it seems to do everything that I want to do. Trouble is, I need to convert a number of home movies before I can start 'making movies'.

To get used to the software I though that I would make a movie from some still images on my iMac. The trouble is that iMovie does not recognise any of them. It sees the images in the photo booth but nothing in other folders below pictures.

How can I import normal images (.jpg) into iMovie? I don't really want to buy iPhoto at this stage.
psionpete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I don't really want to buy iPhoto at this stage.
Every Mac that I know of comes with iPhoto already installed.

Quote:
How can I import normal images (.jpg) into iMovie?
Drag and drop from Finder
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
psionpete
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
Every Mac that I know of comes with iPhoto already installed.

Thanks Dave, but I think this only applied for some configurations or for a certain time. The App Store sells iPhoto (and many of the other apps that are commonly shipped with macs). My iMac is 4 years old and does not have iPhoto.

Drag and drop from Finder
This is a great tip. I did try to drag and drop but I think I was trying to drop in the wrong place. Dropping in the Photo area seems to work OK. Thanks again.
psionpete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Ifti
macrumors 65816

Or drag and drop the photo directly into the project timeline where you want it to be. If you have the advanced options enabled you will be able to do picture in picture, cutaways, and so on.

Bear in mind though, if you have strong shadows in the project the export quality with iMovie is terrible. It produces nasty artifacts and banding.

Have a read through this thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1305237

I raise this now before you start a large project etc, just so you know what to expect.
For normal video, recorded in good light etc, you should be fine. For anything with darker areas or shadows take note of the above thread.
iPhone 6+ / TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
imovie