Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular

After 2 months, iPhone 5 says "NO SERVICE".

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 on T-Mobile. Purchased it full price. It worked without a hitch the 2 months I've had it.

Today, it shows "No Service" while all my other iPhones (4 & 4S) show T-Mobile still.

Should I do a restore? Back-up or New?

Thanks for the advice.
Cebuano1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:32 AM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano1976 View Post
I have a Verizon iPhone 5 on T-Mobile. Purchased it full price. It worked without a hitch the 2 months I've had it.

Today, it shows "No Service" while all my other iPhones (4 & 4S) show T-Mobile still.

Should I do a restore? Back-up or New?

Thanks for the advice.
I'd recommend (until one works): a restart, then a reset, then a restore (first as new, then from backup).
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
John T
macrumors 68020

Is the SIM card ok? To check, try the SIM card in your iPhone in another phone.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4
jkauff
macrumors member

I had that problem on my VZ iPhone 5 the other day (got a "Cannot find SIM card" message--duh). Also, sometimes I get 3G in LTE zones. A reboot fixes the problem, but it's annoying when it happens.
jkauff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I had that problem on my VZ iPhone 5 the other day (got a "Cannot find SIM card" message--duh). Also, sometimes I get 3G in LTE zones. A reboot fixes the problem, but it's annoying when it happens.
Been getting the INVALID SIM message where the Verizon logo should be. A reboot fixes it temporarily, but while displayed the phone will not receive calls or texts. Very annoying.
Jalopybox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:54 PM   #6
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Is it not common knowledge the first thing you should do if having issues with an iPhone is restart it?
Then if the issue continues the next step is to reinstall firmware and set up as a new phone.... these actions typically fix the issue.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:18 PM   #7
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

If resetting the iPhone doesn't fix it, don't dismiss the notion that your SIM might be hinky. We had a phone that suddenly stopped making calls and ATT checked it, discovering that the SIM had inexplicably failed. SIM was replaced at no charge to us and everything was fine after that.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502

Took my Invalid SIM card to Verizon. They replaced the SIM card-not very willing and problem is solved. It got to the point that a reboot/reset/etc. was not helping and it rendered the phone useless. All is well.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:51 PM   #9
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Congratulations on getting it sorted.

FWIW, when our SIM failed, it had never happened to us or to anyone that we knew. When we called ATT customer service about the problem, the tech recommended that we take the phone into an ATT store. Glad to hear that you insisted on Verizon replacing yours.

I do love a happy ending.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502

Thanks. I had called Apple and all they did was tell me to reboot, turn airplane mode on/off, etc. It didn't help. The Verizon employee was a bit stumped but I insisted Apple said it's a SIM problem and they finally replaced it. Be persistent.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:59 PM   #11
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Funny about Apple suggesting turning Airplane mode ON/OFF. My son's phone was the one that failed and it happened when he turned Airplane mode OFF when getting off a flight. It rendered him unable to call me to tell me where to pick him up in the airport & me unable to tell him where I was waiting. He had to find a pay phone.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Funny about Apple suggesting turning Airplane mode ON/OFF. My son's phone was the one that failed and it happened when he turned Airplane mode OFF when getting off a flight. It rendered him unable to call me to tell me where to pick him up in the airport & me unable to tell him where I was waiting. He had to find a pay phone.
Strange. Are there even pay phones around these days?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:13 PM   #13
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Yep, a few. They take debit/credit cards. It was ridiculously pricey for one call. Luckily, he was traveling on business. (Lesson learned re: CC & payphones. )

Last edited by lelisa13p; Dec 12, 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added link as warning for others. Stupid payphone.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:20 PM   #14
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

My phone was shipped with a faulty SIM card, I've heard this is a common problem I went to Verizon and got a new one and haven't had a problem since but I also got the no sim messages and no service
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone