Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
SaturnStrobe
macrumors member

Question iPad to external Hard Drive file transfer

I have a library of films/TV shows on a 1TB external hard drive and have just purchased an iPad 4.

Can I transfer files between the two without having to use a laptop/desktop as the middle man?
SaturnStrobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
pocketpenguin
macrumors regular

Short answer, no. You need some device in the middle. A PC/Mac is the simplest. You just plug in the drive to the USB port, and your ipad into USB and use itunes to drag files to your ipad.

Long answer, the device in the middle doesn't have to be a PC/Mac. There are other options like your wifi-router, if it has support for USB.

I've got a d-link dir-505 that acts as a wifi router and storage device. It's made for sharing USB sticks and converting hotel wired connections to wifi, but I've managed to also get a portable spinning HD to work by adding enough power to the USB port (dual usb connector) to spin up the disk. I don't recommend using this device. It's OK, but difficult to configure (you must have a PC to configure it via physical ethernet).

Regardless, the experience of adding storage to your ipad is not the best and you really aren't probably going to like any of the available options.
pocketpenguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
turbotoes
macrumors regular

Filebrowser will do the job just fine. I use it a lot to transfer stuff to and from my iPads from my nas, my pcs and my MacBook.

Not sure if there is an app that will do the job for free, but filebrowser is worth the money.
turbotoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If you put them on an external WiFi harddrive you can access them easily.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:35 AM   #5
MT0227
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
If you put them on an external WiFi harddrive you can access them easily.
Which app are you using to view/access them? I have a 1TB dive USBed into my Airport extreme which is shared wirelessly with all my desk/laptops.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:40 AM   #6
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

I think FileBrowser does that.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:11 PM   #7
MT0227
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I think FileBrowser does that.
Thanks...was just curious if you had any alternatives.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT0227 View Post
Thanks...was just curious if you had any alternatives.
I initially thought you were talking about stand alone drives, at which point I was going to say that Seagate has a companion app for theirs.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
pocketpenguin
macrumors regular

I think the original poster was asking if there is a way to hook ane existing 1tb USB drive to an ipad without an intermediate device. The answer is no.

There are 30-pin to USB flash drive connectors (search eBay for "ipad storage") that kind of allow it for some flash drives, but none have the power to spin up a disk. Also they require a specific folder layout and file naming convention for the ipad to recognize the files. These devices are really for importing photos from camera storage cards, though people have tweaked them with limited success.

I've been searching for a good way to do this as well, and after much research, and gadget purchasing, I've just resorted to my PC and iTunes to transfer files.
pocketpenguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:09 AM   #10
hyteckit

I just bought a d-link shareport.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-SharePo...dp/B0095F5ACE/

Use that as the middle man. Plug in your usb hard drives or flash drives.

Also use it as a wifi routher or just a backup battery to charge your iPhone.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:32 AM   #11
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

GoodReader and some media player apps can access SMB servers (Windows File Sharing / Apple AirPort routers disk sharing etc.).
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:13 AM   #12
SaturnStrobe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpenguin View Post
Short answer, no. You need some device in the middle. A PC/Mac is the simplest. You just plug in the drive to the USB port, and your ipad into USB and use itunes to drag files to your ipad.

Long answer, the device in the middle doesn't have to be a PC/Mac. There are other options like your wifi-router, if it has support for USB.

I've got a d-link dir-505 that acts as a wifi router and storage device. It's made for sharing USB sticks and converting hotel wired connections to wifi, but I've managed to also get a portable spinning HD to work by adding enough power to the USB port (dual usb connector) to spin up the disk. I don't recommend using this device. It's OK, but difficult to configure (you must have a PC to configure it via physical ethernet).

Regardless, the experience of adding storage to your ipad is not the best and you really aren't probably going to like any of the available options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoes View Post
Filebrowser will do the job just fine. I use it a lot to transfer stuff to and from my iPads from my nas, my pcs and my MacBook.

Not sure if there is an app that will do the job for free, but filebrowser is worth the money.
Thanks for the replies guys, that clears it up. The answer is basically no.

My hard drive is a stand alone 1TB drive with no wifi integrated or anything like that so it doesnt sound like filebrowser would work unless I bought airport or had it connected into my macbook all the time.

Even then does it actually allow you to transfer files onto the iPad which you could then take on a trip and watch out of the house or is it more like accessing files for streaimng over the network?
SaturnStrobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:35 AM   #13
Serikos
macrumors newbie

I upload my films with file upload on internet. Use filejam service, upload from computer and after download on Ipad with wi-fi connection.
Serikos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:18 AM   #14
nancyfromafrica
macrumors member

From what I can see these conditions exist and need to be considered:

1) Your hard drive needs physical and logical connection - no sata/ide connection on iPad
2) iPad isnt a computer in that sense. It is not intended to hold 'data'. It appears that there are ways to do this using other applications...
3) Once you get the files on you iPad there is probably no way of using them other than getting them off the same way

You probably need to get data recovery services or get a computer and a drive adapter. None of these are related to an iPad
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnStrobe View Post
Even then does it actually allow you to transfer files onto the iPad which you could then take on a trip and watch out of the house or is it more like accessing files for streaimng over the network?
Yes, FileBrowser does actually allow you to transfer files to and from the iPad. And if your video files are in an iTunes compatible format, you can play them from within FileBrowser.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
external, file, hard drive, ipad 4, transfer