Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am in a Dilemma and I am looking a way out of this. Maybe someone here will be able to show me a way out of this ;) Ok so I bought my New iPad (3rd Generation) on Oct-19th and 4 days later Apple announced the 4th Generation iPad with 720P Facetime Camera and Faster Processor and a Lightning Connector. While I was making plans to buy the iPad-3 I was aware about the rumours then of the iPad-3 is gonna undergo a change but to the best of knowledge then, I was under the impression that Apple was only gonna change the Lightning Connector so I completely missed out on Reliable and Proper Rumors/Information then. I failed there :rolleyes: though I am a regular visitor here. (Had I known it that iPad-4 will have a 720P Front Camera) I would have held back my plans of buying the iPad-3 and wait for iPad-4 to arrive in my Country.

So to my utter shock and dismay Apple out of the Pandora’s Box came out with a 720P Camera which was the only and biggest thing bothering me, as Keeping up pace with the latest processor is a never ending, Blind Race which can never end, meaning every year Tech companies will come out with Better and Faster Processor so how much can you keep pace with ? is the question ? It is tiring and expensive unless every year you keep upgrading your device and I am not one of them. So I imagine myself missing the 720p Camera more in the iPad-4 then the faster Processor.

Now before you guys suggest me that Apple was running a program where in anyone who had bought the iPad-3 in the last 30 days of the iPad-4 being announced was automatically eligible for a free upgrade to iPad-4 unfortunately I am not in the United States and there is no Apple in my country, I mean Apple does not operate here directly It is all sold through a Reseller and none of them were running that kind of Program. So I have to sell now my iPad-3 at a quite a bit of loss (And I imagine sometimes, all this what just for a Lightning Connector and a Facetime Camera which is just marginally better then my iPad-3 c’mon it is not even a Full HD Camera it is not even 1080P) that would have been the real deal isn’t it guys ?

Now here is my Question. I am in a Dilemma with rumours around iPad-5 being a sleeker and thinner Body than iPad-3/4. Will the iPad-5 also have a 1080P Front Camera ? A thought that touches my mind is should I wait for iPad-5 to be released and then upgrade my iPad-3 or should I upgrade to iPad-4 now, Mind you guys it would be easily a loss of $900 in getting my iPad-3 sold and investing more money to buy iPad-4. I mean Net-Net it is an investment of $900 ($400 Loss in selling iPad-3 and $400 investing more to buy the iPad-4) additional money for me. So is it worth the investment of $800-$900 when I am not sure how much will I use the 720P Front Camera as I hardly see myself making any facetime or skype video calls. But having said that I see myself using it once in a while what maybe once in 3 months or so...So I would love to have the 720P Front Camera rather then have a faster processor which I don’t know how will it help me.

But also I feel iPad-5 may have a 1080P Front Facing Camera and that would make it a full HD Front camera which would be the real cracker of a deal if a Full HD camera is what I am looking out for. What do you guys think will the iPad-5 have a 1080P Front Camera ? if iPad-5 is likely gonna have it I might aswell wait for it and then upgrade it.

What do you guys suggest ? what should I do ?

is the benefit in upgrading to iPad-5 far more rather than in upgrading to iPad-4 now ? if you already have an iPad-3 right now ?

Thanks in Advance !

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Unless you have to have the 4's camera, just keep your 3 and upgrade to the 5 when it drops. It's almost assuredly going to have a new body and be a little lighter.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Just keep your 3 and upgrade to the 5 when it drops.

And why do you say that?

----------

Unless you have to have the 4's camera, j

I don't know thats what I am trying to figure out and asking people here, is it something to miss about ?

keep your 3 and upgrade to the 5 when it drops. It's almost assuredly going to have a new body and be a little lighter.

is it also likely gonna have a 1080P Front Camera ?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And why do you say that?

Because the only thing you really expressed interest in was the 4's camera, which is why I said "Unless you have to have the 4's camera". If you were to move to the 4 now, in a year you'll be asking the same thing about the iPad 5 if it gets 1080 front camera.

Quick question, I know you couldn't get the free swap to the 4, but weren't you able to simply return your ipad 3?

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Because the only thing you really expressed interest in was the 4's camera, which is why I said "Unless you have to have the 4's camera". If you were to move to the 4 now, in a year you'll be asking the same thing about the iPad 5 due to its better camera.

Quick question, I know you couldn't get the free swap to the 4, but weren't you able to simply return your ipad 3?

Nope had it been Apple doing Business directly here maybe, but Apple sells he through Premium Resellers which do not offer any return or refund policy.

----------

Sell your 3, buy a 4, sell your 4, buy a 5. :apple:

All this costs money sunny boy it ain't all cheap. Easily will lose upto $800 in doing all these...

jonsuh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I would say temper your eagerness and just hold out! My opinion is no life-changing difference in the 3 to 4 so jumping so soon may end up in regret!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think you'd be crazy to spend $900 essentially for a slightly upgraded front camera. (yes, I know you get other things, but that's the primary thing you care about). In practice the quality of the video is far more dependent on the internet connection between the two parties than having a slightly better camera.

Also, why would you lose so much on resale? Here in the US, where new products are widely available, I would only expect to lose $100-200 in resale on a new ipad after 1-2 years, let alone a few months.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Also, why would you lose so much on resale? Here in the US, where new products are widely available, I would only expect to lose $100-200 in resale on a new ipad after 1-2 years, let alone a few months.

If I sell my iPad-3 which I bought at $940 I would have to sell it at a depreciated/used/Resale price where easily I could lose up to $400 and then I would be left with $540 from the sale of my iPad-3 and to buy the iPad-4 I would have to invest another odd $400 to make up for the deficit amount resulted because of selling my iPad-3 at a loss price.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
I can't imagine the 5 will be any different than the 4. Unless they have some amazing way to make it thinner and lighter.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Personally, if you're not going to use the FaceTime camera on a regular basis, I don't know why this is such a big issue. I wouldn't bother upgrading for the front camera, given your usage (and I use mine even less).

But nobody knows when the iPad 5 will be released, much less any info on what's going to be upgraded. All you'll get is opinions on what people would LIKE to be upgraded on it.

Clint

jrbd90

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I can't imagine the 5 will be any different than the 4. Unless they have some amazing way to make it thinner and lighter.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but the IGZO technology will do both of those things.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If I sell my iPad-3 which I bought at $940 I would have to sell it at a depreciated/used/Resale price where easily I could lose up to $400 and then I would be left with $540 from the sale of my iPad-3 and to buy the iPad-4 I would have to invest another odd $400 to make up for the deficit amount resulted because of selling my iPad-3 at a loss price.

That's only a $400 difference, not $800.

iPad 4 cost = $400 + (iPad 3 selling price)

----------

What do you guys suggest ? what should I do ?

Money is an issue for you - because you care about spending about $400 more to 'upgrade' your iPad. Therefore, you should think of the iPad as a device that you will keep with you for 2-3 years. You should NOT THINK ABOUT UPGRADING until iPad 5 or maybe even iPad 6.

My iPad 1 is still used every day 8+ hours a day. It's a great machine. Every day, I think about all the wonderful things I _CAN_ do with my iPad vs. having no iPad at all. Sure, there are some things that an iPad 2, 3 or 4 can do, but keeping the $1000+ for not buying all those models makes sure I don't end up in the poor house.

If you can afford to upgrade all the time, do it. But it's not worth it to keep chasing technology if it hits your pocketbook so bad.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Nobody is yet commenting/talking about will the iPad-5 have a Full HD Camera
I.e a 1080P camera ?

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
That's only a $400 difference, not $800.

iPad 4 cost = $400 + (iPad 3 selling price).

Yeah ! Maybe Yes you are correct not $900 actually only $400

----------

Because nobody knows.

Clint

And that even I know, but with so many knowledgable people here who dig and get information from out of the world sources and what not. Getting some information on this is not a difficult task.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Yeah ! Maybe Yes you are correct not $900 actually only $400

----------

And that even I know, but with so many knowledgable people here who dig and get information from out of the world sources and what not. Getting some information on this is not a difficult task.

No, what you'll get at this point is rumors and opinions. Not "information". Look at how much actual information was available even one week prior to the iPad 4/Mini launch. How many solid specs were there, compared to rumors? And you're asking for information for something 10 months out? Not likely to happen...

Clint

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Just sell about a month before the next big update when most people don't realize it's about to be refreshed. Then, buy a new one when it comes out. No point in waiting for an unknown amount of time to be able to purchase the iPad 5.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
:rolleyes: well that is a very very long time how does anyone decide till then ?

First you have to decide what you think the likely upgrades to the iPad 5 are; in your case it seems like the camera quality is what you would base your purchase on. It's likely the rear camera will be upgraded, but it is uncertain if the front one will go 1080. Beyond that it will be faster, lighter, maybe thinner, and have a body similar to the Mini.

Assuming this is what happens, and at this point all you can do is speculate, the only thing you can do is decide if the iPad 4 is a worthwhile upgrade for its camera considering the financial hit you will take. To decide on whether it is worth it you have to research what kind of financial hit you will take doing two upgrades to the iPad 5, vs going from the iPad 3 to the 5. Then you have to decide if those costs will be offset by the enjoyment the ipad 4 will give you for the next year, or however long it is before the next ipads come out.

Just use your wits and judgement; then man up and make your decision.

In the grand scheme of things it's just an iPad, you will enjoy using which ever one you have.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Personally, I don't know why you're fixating on the front camera, which you say you'll only use once every three months. At $400 for the upgrade, that's $100/use over the next year. And it's not like it doesn't have a front camera at all, it's just that it's not quite as good as the newer models are/might be. I could see upgrading if you used it on a regular basis and you'd already determined that the camera might not be good enough for your uses.

Just my $0.02.

Clint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.