Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 5S May Come Equipped With 12-Megapixel Rear Camera and Improved Night Shooting

Apple's next generation iPhone may feature a 12-megapixel camera with an improved night shooting feature and HDR reports Vietnamese site Tinhte.vn [Google Translation] (via iPhoneinCanada).

According to the site, the rumor comes from a source at Wonderful Saigon Electrics in Binh Duong, which specializes in providing camera modules for the iPhone.

An improved camera has been a long rumored feature of the iPhone 5S, but there are few specifics available.

The iPhone 5 features the same 8-megapixel rear camera with an f2.4 aperture that was introduced with the iPhone 4S, but it has a sapphire crystal for improved clarity. A further improvement to 12-megapixels with a lower aperture to improve low light photography does not sound out of the realm of possibility.

Camera improvements have been a staple of Apple's "S" phone releases. The iPhone 4S featured an 8-megapixel rear camera, a significant upgrade from the iPhone 4's 5-megapixels.

Apple has also been dedicated to enhancing the camera quality of the iPhone with each iteration as it has become a popular photography device, adding features like panoramas and a volume shutter control. The iPhone has long been the most popular camera on photo sharing site Flickr.

Tinhte.vn has shared several Apple prototypes in the past, notably offering up a preview of Apple's redesigned EarPods and an early version of the fourth generation iPod touch, the first to come equipped with a camera.

Article Link: iPhone 5S May Come Equipped With 12-Megapixel Rear Camera and Improved Night Shooting
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

More megapixels is great provided you don't reduce the pixel size on the sensor. Maybe they could consider F2.0 or 1.8 from 2.2 as well.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:56 PM   #3
heron88
macrumors 6502

Exciting technological times we are living in.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
LuxoJunior
Banned

Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.
LuxoJunior is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
KrazyBear15
macrumors member

*yawns*
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
d0mth0ma5
macrumors member

I'd just like a camera without a smudge on the lens... damn screen replacing fools. (cracking the screen in the first place was my fault, granted)
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:58 PM   #7
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
The camera & iOS 7 are the only things I care about on the next iPhone now.
kirky29 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:58 PM   #8
dave420
macrumors 65816

I bet this will increase the size of images. I hope Apple increases the base storage sizes so that I can store more of these.
dave420 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Krauser
macrumors regular

They should take note from the HTC One with their camera. It's less megapixels but a much larger sensor. The pictures, while smaller than an 8 or 12 megapixel shooter, look great and night shots/dark environments come out excellent without artifacts and visual disturbances. I'd gladly take a 6mp sensor that takes excellent pictures than a 12mp one that just takes huge ones.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

Is the sensor size still the same? Then there's little point.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:00 PM   #11
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoJunior View Post
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.
More MP = better pictures to the general public. AKA: Marketing.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:00 PM   #12
komodrone
Banned

"Hey, how come I can't e-mail this photo? It says the photo is too large"
"Hey, how come this photo is taking forever to upload?"
"Hey, how it's taking so long to download these photos?"
"Hey, how do I zoom out?"
"Hey, I can't copy these photos to my USB drive cause they're too big and I'm out of space. Can you make it smaller? How do you shrink it?"

-Parents

And now we're moving to 12MP...
komodrone is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:01 PM   #13
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser View Post
They should take note from the HTC One with their camera. It's less megapixels but a much larger sensor. The pictures, while smaller than an 8 or 12 megapixel shooter, look great and night shots/dark environments come out excellent without artifacts and visual disturbances. I'd gladly take a 6mp sensor that takes excellent pictures than a 12mp one that just takes huge ones.
u took the words out of my mouth. i love what im hearing about the htc one but im stuck in the apple ecostystem
bushido is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:03 PM   #14
superhrixenz
macrumors member

Apple, just take my money already...
superhrixenz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:04 PM   #15
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

I felt 8MP was the perfect number.

I guess increasing it to 12 will fool all the people who mega pixels are everything.
TheRainKing is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:05 PM   #16
whoami
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky29 View Post
The camera & iOS 7 are the only things I care about on the next iPhone now.
same here!!!
whoami is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Padraig
macrumors 6502a

Bumping the megapixel count is a sure sign that they're out of ideas. Even the Android manufacturers have gotten away from that game in the past year. Would have rather them focus on optical stabilization and larger sensors e.g. HTC and Nokia.
Padraig is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

HTC one's camera isnt THAT good... its a great idea but 4mp is just not enough. Look at the photo comparisons from different tests
Smartass is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:08 PM   #19
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
u took the words out of my mouth. i love what im hearing about the htc one but im stuck in the apple ecostystem
I had a hands on with the One - it is sweeeet.

I'm looking forward to the new iPhone. Apple will consider low light in their final design. Hopefully...

I use my iPhone as my primary device for shooting so I've made a conscious decision to upgrade every year. It cost less than buying a new lens for my slr... (although, for sure, they meet different purposes).

I figure I'm better off investing in the thing I use most often.
Santabean2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:09 PM   #20
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Megapixels aren't everything, but I welcome them purely for the fact that it means our filter apps will only work better and we'll have more data to work with.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:09 PM   #21
wizard
macrumors 68040

I really think Apples approach to cell phone cameras is a little bit too much of "me too". Consider:
  1. All the megapixels in the world don't make up for a real optical zoom.
  2. Some of the best things in life happen in low light.
  3. Real photographers want control over their cameras. Today's cell phone sensors do nothing for depth of field control for example. Likewise it is pretty darn hard to vary aperture on cell phone cameras.
  4. It wouldn't hurt the iPhone one bit if it got a bit thicker in one area to handle a far more advanced camera.
  5. More importantly putting better hardware in an iPhone doesn't mean that Apple has to follow past trends. Relight the optical path to make use of an edge. That way you have plenty of space for advance optics and even a big sensor.
  6. Quantum dot enhanced sensors would be beautiful.

Apple needs to innovate once again.
wizard is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Padraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
HTC one's camera isnt THAT good... its a great idea but 4mp is just not enough. Look at the photo comparisons from different tests
I've played around with it. It's slightly worse than the One X in bright conditions, but is a marked improvement in dark conditions. It's definitely not perfect, but in fairness to HTC they're trying something new rather than getting caught in the old MP count - which let's face it is done.
Padraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:10 PM   #23
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

In all honesty, I think the current camera is still fantastic. I've taken some amazing pictures that would rival my own (pretty good) Canon 600D.

If Apple were to focus on increasing it's low light capabilities and maybe ways to decrease shutter lag they'd still have a winner in my eyes.

Megapixels don't matter if they're not being focused by a decent lens.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:13 PM   #24
wizard
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
Is the sensor size still the same? Then there's little point.
It isn't the simple. If they can get a 2-3x increase in sensitivity then the result might be surprising. Remember the R&D going into cell phone sensors and optics is overwhelming. Something new comes about every few months.
wizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:13 PM   #25
LuxoJunior
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
More MP = better pictures to the general public. AKA: Marketing.
I get marketing, but marketing doesn't give me better quality photos in low light conditions if they are cramming more pixels onto that sensor.
LuxoJunior is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion