Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:16 AM   #76
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

Please keep the home button. I hate android devices with no dedicated hardware button.
PeterQVenkman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:17 AM   #77
lcmazza
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
It would be a 4.8" model in addition to the 4" model.
People that complain about new options are actually afraid of having to admit that they'll not be able to have the latest and greatest because there may be greater physical, psychological and monetary reasons for that not being achievable. That's called 'fanboysm syndrome' and it is related to envy.
lcmazza is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 AM   #78
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

You should just be able to walk in and buy a phone at a reasonably low set price, and the home setup screen should allow you to choose your carrier. If you're resuming a plan, you log in, and it recognizes that. If you want to change carriers, you choose that carrier, set up your info and plan, and go. If you choose another carrier and you're not out of contract with your current carrier, it warns you about a contract breach fee, you approve or disapprove, pay the money you currently owe and go on your way with a new carrier...all on one phone...all from the comfort of your living room. No calls, no hassles. Just do it. Number switches over...everything. This whole "locked" thing just seems ancient. More power to the user. Less to the providers. They're still getting our money anyway...and plenty of it. It shouldn't matter.
jamesryanbell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 AM   #79
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

This doesn't seem likely at all except for the IGZO display and improved camera.

6-8 colours would produce way too many SKUs (almost 100!), NFC is unlikely given that the current unibody design creates a Faraday cage and there's no room for a decent NFC antenna in the tiny glass windows.

Battery will likely remain pretty much the same, any considerable improvement in battery life would be a result of the IGZO screen.

Improved camera is a given though.
pgiguere1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 AM   #80
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
This will more than likely be the one all carriers will get, as per that T-Mobile announcement. Lets see what the best carrier will be, hopefully Sprint will have LTE in my area soon.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:21 AM   #81
Black Magic
macrumors 6502a

I think it may not be a bad deal Apple releasing 2 iphones a year. That means they are speeding up innovative releases. Every year we should see a new design instead of every 2 years.

4.8 inch screen? I doubt it highly and I think the Analyst wants to see that option. The best way he can try to make that happen is by putting out this rumor to see if it generates interest and demand. This in turn puts pressure on Apple. I don't see this happening for a few years.

I don't put a lot of stock in this rumor but I think some of it is possible. Colors? That would hit big with folks and be a nice change. 128GB? Logical next step.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:22 AM   #82
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

oh dear. Worst.Rumour.Ever.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:22 AM   #83
tctony
macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the iPhone 10S.

"no hot no sweat screen no heavy" - iphonetoday
tctony is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:23 AM   #84
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

1. Analyst reads Macrumors
2. Analyst sees speculation threads
3. Analyst writes an article on it
4. Macrumors reports on articles
5. Analyst reads Macrumors
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:23 AM   #85
Mabus51
macrumors regular

What usefulness does NFC really have? Most stores haven't adopted it seems like a battery drain to me. 128GB storage about time.
Mabus51 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:24 AM   #86
wikus
Banned

Instead of having a choice of colours why doesnt apple take its head out of its a$$ and give people the ability to chose how they manage their data on their phones? File explorer, anyone?

Once again apple proves it likes to live in the stone age, just like it did for over two decades with a single button mouse. Steve Jobs must have though people didnt have fingers and were born with nubs.
wikus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:26 AM   #87
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

umm I will keep my iPhone 5 for a year and a half.. no need for more speed anymore.. the 4S was fast and the 5 is fast enough.. i am tired of speed increases running the same boring UI.. So once the jailbreak is out for the 5 i will sell my 4S and settle with my 5... so it looks like my next iPhone will be the iPhone 7..lol
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #88
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Yes, but which kid forgoes college to pay for it?
If they do come out with 128GB version they will probably just shift everything up a notch at the same price.
wovel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #89
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethana View Post
MOST of this is bogus. iPhone 5S won't see much more than a better camera, A6X chip, iOS 7, better battery, and maybe one other feature.
yup same boring crap
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #90
Schmitty11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1r0ll3r View Post
I find none of what this "analyst" says to be even remotely plausible. The increased storage option? Maybe. But NFC, 4.8" screen, multiple color options? Doesn't seem Apple like IMO. It took Apple 5 generations of the iPhone to increase the screen size a whole half inch. Now they're going to increase it by an additional 0.8 inches in 6 months?
That was referring to the iPhone coming AFTER the iPhone 5s..Learn to read.
Schmitty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:29 AM   #91
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1r0ll3r View Post
I find none of what this "analyst" says to be even remotely plausible. The increased storage option? Maybe. But NFC, 4.8" screen, multiple color options? Doesn't seem Apple like IMO. It took Apple 5 generations of the iPhone to increase the screen size a whole half inch. Now they're going to increase it by an additional 0.8 inches in 6 months?
Someone's not reading the story. These features are supposedly for the iPhone 6, NOT the iPhone 5S.
osx11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:29 AM   #92
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

If the only thing that happens is a retina screen iPad mini, I'll be happy. To be honest, I like the screen size of my 4S. Does everything a device like that should. The rest of what I do is offloaded to the iPad or Mac. Aside from its fragility, I'm thinking the 4S is the best iPhone yet. Everytime I use a iPhone5 in the store I can't reach top of the screen controls with my thumb. Ah well.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:29 AM   #93
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
With people like this, I wonder how big is "too big"? Why not give the iPad phone capabilities?

As for 128 GB, I doubt this. With Apple pushing iCloud, why have the added space?
Think it's coming for iPads this year so I would expect iPhones as well.

It allows them to appear to give a lot better value for money vs others (many have 8/16gb) while still raking in TONS of profit cause the extra $$ for the extra memory isn't going to hurt them.

Plus I would say all of iClouds features are actually not even space saving as things like calendars, reminder lists, notes etc are all saved onto the local memory.

iTunes match may be, but then that only works for songs and a lot of people don't have THAT much data or THAT great reception all the time.

Also a better camera will mean higher need for more space for larger sized photos.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:29 AM   #94
Mabus51
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Instead of having a choice of colours why doesnt apple take its head out of its a$$ and give people the ability to chose how they manage their data on their phones? File explorer, anyone?

Once again apple proves it likes to live in the stone age, just like it did for over two decades with a single button mouse. Steve Jobs must have though people didnt have fingers and were born with nubs.
The industry is trying to move away from File Explorer. So a big no on ever having that. This was talked about over and over when the iOS first launched with iPhone in 2007 and has been covered many times ever since. Win8 is even trying to move away from File Explorer with further removal in Win9. Colors who cares.
Mabus51 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:30 AM   #95
wizard
macrumors 68040

More like the iPhone replacing the iPod.

Apple did colors for years on the iPod and nobody even blinked at that, so I don't know why there is so much negativity here. Not to be missed here is the smart phone market wiping out the point and shoot camera market.

All these little things add up to a one cell phone fits all mentality going the way of the dodo. Apple needs more models simply because its customer base has broaden significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckusToothnail View Post
4.8" screen, near field communication (NFC), coming in a range of colors...sounds like the iPhone is turning more and more into the Samsung Galaxy S3.
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:32 AM   #96
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

128GB capacity would be nice, albeit WAY TOO expensive to be a phone that one could lose at any moment.

I don't see too much coming out of the Apple camp right now. This Note II that I have really does show what a phone is capable of, and the iPhone just doesn't come close. Tis sad that such great apps on the Apple App Store go to waste on a phone that really hasn't grown much since the iPhone 4.

Although, a 4.8" iPhone Pro with NFC, better speech recognition, Google integration, touch keyboard, a better more fluid more natural OS, and more productivity out of the gate would make me jump back to the iOS ecosystem in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:33 AM   #97
zhandri
macrumors regular

nah im not buying it
zhandri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:33 AM   #98
Phoenixhiker
macrumors newbie

Think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Yeah sure, now, who produces a single NAND flash chip that can hold 128 GB?! The answer is no one.

Analysts are just notoriously bad at guessing.
Ummmm..........Samsung!

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...l?newsId=12062
Phoenixhiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:34 AM   #99
SuX0rz
macrumors member

This is the stupidest rumor in the world. "Let's just list every killer feature we want on the iPhone and pretend it's news!"

- Apple isn't going to change the screen size again for years.
- NFC? Really? It's pretty clear that Apple doesn't support the technology.
- Apple isn't going to dilute the iPhone brand buy offering it like an iPod with six colors.
- Apple already has a low cost iPhone. It's called the iPhone 4. Apple doesn't make "low cost" products.
- Apple isn't going to put a retina display on the mini anytime soon. That resolution would be insane on that screen size.

When I read over all that stuff again. It does sound like this "analyst" wants Apple to be Samsung.

Last edited by SuX0rz; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
SuX0rz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:34 AM   #100
Sylon
macrumors 68000

I would love a 4.8" screen with my big hands. My 4S is too small. And I doubt, and this is IF Apple goes this route, that the additional 0.8" would be added to the top and bottom like it was with the 5. It would make more sense to throw the additional size to the sides, make the phone look normal again.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion