Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
gadget123
macrumors 65816

Another iPhone and another iPhone?

Anybody sad at all these rumours of an Iphone 6 before the 5S has even been launched?

It seems Apple are just on a production line trying to copy Android phones these days.

Where is that "ONE" big release each year? I just hope the Ipad 4 was a one off and it's not a new strategy by Apple to just fire out mini Iphones and silly colour Iphones.

It's just greedy and lacks innovation which has got Apple back to where it is today.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
Anybody sad at all these rumours of an Iphone 6 before the 5S has even been launched?

It seems Apple are just on a production line trying to copy Android phones these days.

Where is that "ONE" big release each year? I just hope the Ipad 4 was a one off and it's not a new strategy by Apple to just fire out mini Iphones and silly colour Iphones.

It's just greedy and lacks innovation which has got Apple back to where it is today.
Nothing about Apple makes me sad.

Also, should Apple not plan for the future by testing out ideas today that they may want to integrate later on?

Lastly, where is it exactly that you think Apple has gone "back to"?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:13 AM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
What's there to be sad about? They're rumors. About a product that's at least 18 months away, no less. From an analyst whose track record for being right is less than stellar.

Quote:
You mean selling multiple millions of devices in a weekend, lines out the door at Apple stores, and tens of billions of dollars in the bank with no debt? Yeah, that's a pretty sad place to be.

What I'm sad about are people who livelives so devoid of happiness that they have to pin their emotions on what Apple MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be coming out with next.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:27 AM   #4
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

I have no idea when the next iPhone or iPad will come out, but why do people feel that Apple should stop releasing new models for a specified period of time after they buy their new iOS device? I mean, people actually get very angry and feel they are entitled to a certain time period of no updates. Completely ridiculous and childish.

I had an iPad 3 for about 6 months before the iPad 4 was released but so what? My iPad didn't break and it works fine as always.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
darster
macrumors 68000

How dare Apple update their products more than once a year! How dare Apple give consumer choices! How dare Apple try to make money! How dare, sir, how dare indeed!
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Apple has spoiled us. Now we EXPECT Apple to regularly release astounding new updates.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Why would anyone be sad about rumors lol.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

This thread needs more Myphone7.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #9
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Why does everyone pick on Myphone7?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:58 PM   #10
karuk
macrumors newbie

Not sad but I now question my move to IOS from Android.

I was always chasing the latest specs with android and felt left behind every 6 months. I figured I would give IOS a shot with the understanding that device updates would be once a year. Software updates can come anytime in my book.

My first screwing by Apple was with the iPad 3. I purchased it 20 days before the 4 was dropped on our head. I purchased it form Walmart and they were kind enough to swap the 3 I had purchased for the 4. I asked Apple to make the swap and they told me to pound sand.

I now sit with the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand. I like things in both OS's and could easily go back to Android if they have a better offering.
karuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuk View Post
Not sad but I now question my move to IOS from Android.

I was always chasing the latest specs with android and felt left behind every 6 months. I figured I would give IOS a shot with the understanding that device updates would be once a year. Software updates can come anytime in my book.

My first screwing by Apple was with the iPad 3. I purchased it 20 days before the 4 was dropped on our head. I purchased it form Walmart and they were kind enough to swap the 3 I had purchased for the 4. I asked Apple to make the swap and they told me to pound sand.

I now sit with the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand. I like things in both OS's and could easily go back to Android if they have a better offering.
Because we all know that your tech stops working IMMEDIATELY after something newer is released. I was heartbroken after they released a new MBP after I purchased the Rev. 1, how could I possibly keep using a fully functional machine with the knowledge that there was something newer on the shelves? You also realize that you can, you know, not purchase something when it comes out. Shocking to be sure, I know.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:04 PM   #12
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand. I like things in both OS's and could easily go back to Android if they have a better offering.
Switching because the other offers something "better" is, in my opinion, infinitely more valid than because they offer something "newer."
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:24 PM   #13
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
I purchased it form Walmart and they were kind enough to swap the 3 I had purchased for the 4. I asked Apple to make the swap and they told me to pound sand.
That would be becuase you purchased it from Walmart, not the Apple store. it's the seller's responsibility to honor return/exchange policies, and if Apple didn't directly sell you the device, then they would tell you what they likely actually told you: go see the store you bought it from.

Quote:
If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand.
If tech stagnation is the only reason you're "staying with the brand," then you shouldn't have switched in the first place.

You're also completely ignoring the fact that despite the product updates, Apple's support for older devices far exceeds any Android, or Windows Mobile support.

When the iPad 4 came out, what did I do? I stuck with my iPad 3 because there was no compelling need for me to upgrade. And guess what? My iPad 3 didn't explode or stop working. It's humming along just fine. If the next full-sized, retina or better iPad has a compelling reason for me to upgrade, then I might. If not, I'll stick with my 3 again.

The iPhone 5, I DID upgrade to, but that was because there WAS a compelling reason (LTE) for me to upgrade. But, my iPhone 4S is still in the household, still getting regular use. It didn't blow up or stop working, either.

The same goes for my 4-month old iMac that's "chunky" by modern Apple standards and still has an "outdated" optical drive. Or my nearly-3-year-old MacBook Pro, which doesn't even have a thunderbolt port. Are they worthless because there are newer versions out there? Of course not. They're still fully supported by Applecare and fully supported by software. If I upgraded them every time a new version came out, I'd be deeply in debt, and with nothing to show for it.

It's not Apple's or any other vendor's fault you're chasing specs. Use what works for you, not what's the latest and greatest just so you can flash your tech bling around.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Dec 10, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Steevie
Banned

rumors are rumors. The iPhone5 is a awesome phone. Just be content
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:

It is floating around that the new rumor is the iPad 5 and iPad Mini with Retina will come out in June, this is not the 1st place I read this, so we will have to wait, but the iPad is getting more than one update per 12 months so far.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:34 AM   #16
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Nope. Don't really care about rumors as they're just rumors. I make buying decisions based on actual releases and my needs/wants.

Quote:
I was always chasing the latest specs with android and felt left behind every 6 months.
If that's a problem then it's your problem -- not the manufacturer (whoever it may be). You don't have to buy products just because they're released.

Quote:
I figured I would give IOS a shot with the understanding that device updates would be once a year.
Apple never stated this was the case. Again, you're your own problem. There is always something newer with tech. If that's a problem for you then the only way out is to not buy anything.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:41 AM   #17
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

I feel the exact opposite. The fact they are decreasing the time between cycles means it cost me less to upgrade. I can have the latest and greatest always with a minimal cost increase. For example, when the iphone 5S comes out I will sell my iphone 5 and honestly break even after a subsidized upgrade...if not make money.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:23 AM   #18
sviato
macrumors 68000

Just stop buying phones if you feel like your world will end if a new one comes out before you can afford it
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19
raf66
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Because we all know that your tech stops working IMMEDIATELY after something newer is released. I was heartbroken after they released a new MBP after I purchased the Rev. 1, how could I possibly keep using a fully functional machine with the knowledge that there was something newer on the shelves? You also realize that you can, you know, not purchase something when it comes out. Shocking to be sure, I know.
^^Ding ding ding!! We have a winner^^

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone