Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Anybody sad at all these rumours of an Iphone 6 before the 5S has even been launched?

It seems Apple are just on a production line trying to copy Android phones these days.

Where is that "ONE" big release each year? I just hope the Ipad 4 was a one off and it's not a new strategy by Apple to just fire out mini Iphones and silly colour Iphones.

It's just greedy and lacks innovation which has got Apple back to where it is today.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Anybody sad at all these rumours of an Iphone 6 before the 5S has even been launched?

It seems Apple are just on a production line trying to copy Android phones these days.

Where is that "ONE" big release each year? I just hope the Ipad 4 was a one off and it's not a new strategy by Apple to just fire out mini Iphones and silly colour Iphones.

It's just greedy and lacks innovation which has got Apple back to where it is today.

Nothing about Apple makes me sad.

Also, should Apple not plan for the future by testing out ideas today that they may want to integrate later on?

Lastly, where is it exactly that you think Apple has gone "back to"?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

What's there to be sad about? They're rumors. About a product that's at least 18 months away, no less. From an analyst whose track record for being right is less than stellar.

You mean selling multiple millions of devices in a weekend, lines out the door at Apple stores, and tens of billions of dollars in the bank with no debt? Yeah, that's a pretty sad place to be. :rolleyes:

What I'm sad about are people who livelives so devoid of happiness that they have to pin their emotions on what Apple MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be coming out with next.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have no idea when the next iPhone or iPad will come out, but why do people feel that Apple should stop releasing new models for a specified period of time after they buy their new iOS device? I mean, people actually get very angry and feel they are entitled to a certain time period of no updates. Completely ridiculous and childish.

I had an iPad 3 for about 6 months before the iPad 4 was released but so what? My iPad didn't break and it works fine as always.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
How dare Apple update their products more than once a year! How dare Apple give consumer choices! How dare Apple try to make money! How dare, sir, how dare indeed! :rolleyes:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Apple has spoiled us. Now we EXPECT Apple to regularly release astounding new updates.

karuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Not sad but I now question my move to IOS from Android.

I was always chasing the latest specs with android and felt left behind every 6 months. I figured I would give IOS a shot with the understanding that device updates would be once a year. Software updates can come anytime in my book.

My first screwing by Apple was with the iPad 3. I purchased it 20 days before the 4 was dropped on our head. I purchased it form Walmart and they were kind enough to swap the 3 I had purchased for the 4. I asked Apple to make the swap and they told me to pound sand.

I now sit with the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand. I like things in both OS's and could easily go back to Android if they have a better offering.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Not sad but I now question my move to IOS from Android.

I was always chasing the latest specs with android and felt left behind every 6 months. I figured I would give IOS a shot with the understanding that device updates would be once a year. Software updates can come anytime in my book.

My first screwing by Apple was with the iPad 3. I purchased it 20 days before the 4 was dropped on our head. I purchased it form Walmart and they were kind enough to swap the 3 I had purchased for the 4. I asked Apple to make the swap and they told me to pound sand.

I now sit with the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand. I like things in both OS's and could easily go back to Android if they have a better offering.

Because we all know that your tech stops working IMMEDIATELY after something newer is released. I was heartbroken after they released a new MBP after I purchased the Rev. 1, how could I possibly keep using a fully functional machine with the knowledge that there was something newer on the shelves? You also realize that you can, you know, not purchase something when it comes out. Shocking to be sure, I know.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand. I like things in both OS's and could easily go back to Android if they have a better offering.

Switching because the other offers something "better" is, in my opinion, infinitely more valid than because they offer something "newer."

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I purchased it form Walmart and they were kind enough to swap the 3 I had purchased for the 4. I asked Apple to make the swap and they told me to pound sand.

That would be becuase you purchased it from Walmart, not the Apple store. it's the seller's responsibility to honor return/exchange policies, and if Apple didn't directly sell you the device, then they would tell you what they likely actually told you: go see the store you bought it from.

If Apple starts releasing hardware updates earlier than 12 months I will have no motivation to stay with the brand.

If tech stagnation is the only reason you're "staying with the brand," then you shouldn't have switched in the first place.

You're also completely ignoring the fact that despite the product updates, Apple's support for older devices far exceeds any Android, or Windows Mobile support.

When the iPad 4 came out, what did I do? I stuck with my iPad 3 because there was no compelling need for me to upgrade. And guess what? My iPad 3 didn't explode or stop working. It's humming along just fine. If the next full-sized, retina or better iPad has a compelling reason for me to upgrade, then I might. If not, I'll stick with my 3 again.

The iPhone 5, I DID upgrade to, but that was because there WAS a compelling reason (LTE) for me to upgrade. But, my iPhone 4S is still in the household, still getting regular use. It didn't blow up or stop working, either.

The same goes for my 4-month old iMac that's "chunky" by modern Apple standards and still has an "outdated" optical drive. Or my nearly-3-year-old MacBook Pro, which doesn't even have a thunderbolt port. Are they worthless because there are newer versions out there? Of course not. They're still fully supported by Applecare and fully supported by software. If I upgraded them every time a new version came out, I'd be deeply in debt, and with nothing to show for it.

It's not Apple's or any other vendor's fault you're chasing specs. Use what works for you, not what's the latest and greatest just so you can flash your tech bling around.

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

It is floating around that the new rumor is the iPad 5 and iPad Mini with Retina will come out in June, this is not the 1st place I read this, so we will have to wait, but the iPad is getting more than one update per 12 months so far.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Nope. Don't really care about rumors as they're just rumors. I make buying decisions based on actual releases and my needs/wants.

I was always chasing the latest specs with android and felt left behind every 6 months.
If that's a problem then it's your problem -- not the manufacturer (whoever it may be). You don't have to buy products just because they're released.

I figured I would give IOS a shot with the understanding that device updates would be once a year.
Apple never stated this was the case. Again, you're your own problem. There is always something newer with tech. If that's a problem for you then the only way out is to not buy anything.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I feel the exact opposite. The fact they are decreasing the time between cycles means it cost me less to upgrade. I can have the latest and greatest always with a minimal cost increase. For example, when the iphone 5S comes out I will sell my iphone 5 and honestly break even after a subsidized upgrade...if not make money.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Just stop buying phones if you feel like your world will end if a new one comes out before you can afford it :rolleyes:

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Because we all know that your tech stops working IMMEDIATELY after something newer is released. I was heartbroken after they released a new MBP after I purchased the Rev. 1, how could I possibly keep using a fully functional machine with the knowledge that there was something newer on the shelves? You also realize that you can, you know, not purchase something when it comes out. Shocking to be sure, I know.

^^Ding ding ding!! We have a winner^^
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.