Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Duwsh
macrumors member

Which to get

My birthday is towards the end of January and for it my Mum is paying 2/3 of my phone contract and I am paying the rest (getting an iPhone 5) so is there really any point in me getting a iPad Mini or should I go for the full sized iPad 4 instead? I would get the iPad 3 if it had a lightning connector but would like everything to be the same. I don't really mind th size of it, I use my granddads 3 and my tutors 3 at College all the time and I like the size but I do think it would be good to have a smaller tablet. Does anyone here have all 3 (iPhone 5, iPad 4 and iPad Mini)? Which one do you not use as much as the other two?
Duwsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If you don't use your phone to make many calls, mostly text and IM, then you may be able to make do with an cellular iPad Mini and VOIP app like Google Voice.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Duwsh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
If you don't use your phone to make many calls, mostly text and IM, then you may be able to make do with an cellular iPad Mini and VOIP app like Google Voice.
I did think about this but I call and text regularly so that wouldn't be the best option.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

I think what's more common is that people who have an ipad Mini don't use thier iPhones all that often; in that case you could save some money and get a base 4S. Of course this won't be as true if you get the 4 as you prob won't have it with you as much.

Honeslty what you should to is get the Mini, try it for as long as the return period allows and then return it for the 4. Try them both and decide for yourself.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:50 PM   #5
MT0227
macrumors 6502

I do....I purchased the Mini, because for me... it's perfect for carring around at work for meetings and taking notes. I've been trying to find the "perfect" digital notebook for a year, I think I finally found it with the Mini+Noteshelf+Adonit Jot Pro. ...I think the Mini is a home run for this space, iPad 1-4 is a bit too large (in comparision) for this purpose IMO. I guess is all depends what your primary use will be and where you will be using it.

Also...my eyes would rather read email, surf the web, or watch a movie on a bigger platform than my phone. My iP5 goes with me everywhere; Mini is predominately in my hands when I travel or when I'm at work. I will prob donate or sell my iPad2.

Last edited by MT0227; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
MT0227 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Duwsh
macrumors member

Quote:
I think what's more common is that people who have an ipad Mini don't use thier iPhones all that often; in that case you could save some money and get a base 4S. Of course this won't be as true if you get the 4 as you prob won't have it with you as much.

Honeslty what you should to is get the Mini, try it for as long as the return period allows and then return it for the 4. Try them both and decide for yourself.
What is the return window from Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT0227 View Post
I do....I purchased the Mini, because for me... it's perfect for carring around at work for meetings and taking notes. I've been trying to find the "perfect" digital notebook for a year, I think I finally found it with the Mini+Noteshelf+Adonit Jot Pro. ...I think the Mini is a home run for this space, iPad 1-4 is a bit too large for this purpose IMO. I guess is all depends what your primary use will be and where you will be using it.
I will give both a try, thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:00 PM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duwsh View Post
Call Apple to find out.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
MT0227
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duwsh View Post
Online...I'm pretty sure it's 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.

Things may be slightly extended during the holidays, I'd check before you purchase.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:43 PM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Call Apple to find out.
Or check the Apple site.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Sunhabb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT0227 View Post
I do....I purchased the Mini, because for me... it's perfect for carring around at work for meetings and taking notes. I've been trying to find the "perfect" digital notebook for a year, I think I finally found it with the Mini+Noteshelf+Adonit Jot Pro. ...I think the Mini is a home run for this space, iPad 1-4 is a bit too large (in comparision) for this purpose IMO. I guess is all depends what your primary use will be and where you will be using it.

Also...my eyes would rather read email, surf the web, or watch a movie on a bigger platform than my phone. My iP5 goes with me everywhere; Mini is predominately in my hands when I travel or when I'm at work. I will prob donate or sell my iPad2.
Donate me 😁😁😁😁
Sunhabb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad