Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1
mario24601
macrumors regular

OmniDiskSweeper

My internal seems full, when I go to about this mac, storage: shows majority of data is in "other" about 126GB! Someone told me to use OmniDiskSweeper. Is this a safe program? Safe to remove all these "other" files? Not sure what is causing this.
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario24601 View Post
My internal seems full, when I go to about this mac, storage: shows majority of data is in "other" about 126GB! Someone told me to use OmniDiskSweeper. Is this a safe program? Safe to remove all these "other" files? Not sure what is causing this.
Yes, it's a safe app. No, it's not necessarily safe to remove all the "other" files.

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating my space
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
mario24601
macrumors regular

Thanks! I installed ODS and found that almost 90GB are in mobilesync backup...seems its keeping multiple copies of my iPhone and iPad. I thought when back up it would overwrite the old backup...doesnt seem to be the case. How can I determine which one is newer and ok to just delete older one?
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario24601 View Post
Thanks! I installed ODS and found that almost 90GB are in mobilesync backup...seems its keeping multiple copies of my iPhone and iPad. I thought when back up it would overwrite the old backup...doesnt seem to be the case. How can I determine which one is newer and ok to just delete older one?
They're dated, so it's easy to see the newest one.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
milocool
macrumors newbie

I have this map called "private" 4.1 gb.
then it's called "var" 4.1 gb.
and then "vm" 2.7 gb and "db" 827 mb etc..

any idea what that is? because i cant find it in spotlight and it's not an encrypted file...
milocool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:30 AM   #6
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by milocool View Post
I have this map called "private" 4.1 gb.
then it's called "var" 4.1 gb.
and then "vm" 2.7 gb and "db" 827 mb etc..

any idea what that is? because i cant find it in spotlight and it's not an encrypted file...
All the hidden folders at the top of your hard drive - private, var, bin, etc, usr (and others) are ESSENTIAL Unix system folders and files.

Do NOT remove any of them, otherwise you'll have to reinstall your OS.

If you don't know what it is, don't delete it. Do some research first to learn what it is, then consider whether it should stay or not.
benwiggy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac