Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Peakbagger
macrumors newbie

Installing memory in new iMac

Ordered my very first iMac on Nov 30th. I noticed a lot of folks here are purchasing memory from other vendors but I was wondering if there is a document explaining how to install it (such as this one).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423#1

My understanding is since there is no memory access door in the new model, you have to unglue the screen to get to the memory slots. Wouldn't that void the warranty?

Thanks!
Peakbagger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
BSoares
macrumors regular

27" has a little door to do it. 21.5" requires you to remove the screen and a bunch of other things inside. Better to upgrade when ordering if you're getting the small iMac.
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
dhokes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakbagger View Post
Ordered my very first iMac on Nov 30th. I noticed a lot of folks here are purchasing memory from other vendors but I was wondering if there is a document explaining how to install it (such as this one).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423#1

My understanding is since there is no memory access door in the new model, you have to unglue the screen to get to the memory slots. Wouldn't that void the warranty?

Thanks!
The 27" version has a user-accessible slot and the 21.5" doesn't. Consequently, if you upgrade/try to upgrade the RAM in the smaller iMac, I imagine it will void the warranty.

As for documentation, I'm not too sure but I would imagine there will be plenty of Youtube videos in the next couple of weeks to show you how to install it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Peakbagger
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhokes View Post
The 27" version has a user-accessible slot and the 21.5" doesn't. Consequently, if you upgrade/try to upgrade the RAM in the smaller iMac, I imagine it will void the warranty.

As for documentation, I'm not too sure but I would imagine there will be plenty of Youtube videos in the next couple of weeks to show you how to install it.
I ordered the 27" so I should be good then. I saw the 21" at the Store, that's why I thought there was no slot. My mistake.
Thanks!
Peakbagger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:05 PM   #5
chicagodunn
macrumors newbie

one of the videos on that was posted on macrumors from cnet youtube channel shows you how to open the slot...

There was a button under power supply that the man pushed with a pen to release the slot's cover...

seen here: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/30/...-enhancements/

or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYcMvh3mId8

It is around 1:55 timestamp.
chicagodunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:20 AM   #6
leerichards1
macrumors regular

Also regarding memory, I'm buying a 27" with 8GB RAM (2*4GB). Is it ok for me to add another single 8GB dimm with a view to adding another one at a later date, or do you still need to install memory in pairs like the old days?

Thanks.
leerichards1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:38 PM   #7
GaryClough
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerichards1 View Post
Also regarding memory, I'm buying a 27" with 8GB RAM (2*4GB). Is it ok for me to add another single 8GB dimm with a view to adding another one at a later date, or do you still need to install memory in pairs like the old days?

Thanks.
I would also like to know this. I presume that you still have to order ram in pairs, so as the 27" imac will come with x2 4gb dimms, can I add a further x2 8gb dimms to make a total of 24gb or do all slots have to have the same size memory module ?

Thanks
GaryClough is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:46 PM   #8
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

They do not all have to be the same size. You can install 24GB
bigcat318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:54 PM   #9
GaryClough
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat318 View Post
Yippee, thanks for the quick answer. I will order 16gb from crucial to have ready for when my imac arrives.

For anyone in the UK it looks like this memory will match the new 27" imac perfectly.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpar...FEC046A5CA7304

Thanks
GaryClough is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:01 PM   #10
dogegg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat318 View Post
Does it matter which slots they go into? I've got my 2 x 8GB sticks ready to put in, do I just put them into the two empty slots or should I put the higher memory into the lower slots, ie move the original RAM to the other slots?

Is there a guide anywhere?

Cheers
dogegg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:57 PM   #11
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

I don't believe it matters which slot they are in. I would just put them in the currently empty slots.
bigcat318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac