Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I replaced the back glass on my iPhone 4 recently. In doing so, I seemed to have stripped both screws. I got them off, replaced the back cover, and while putting the screws back in, I got them both about half way before they just stopped going in. So I'm stuck with two bottom screws that are hanging about half way out. It looks as though the heads have been stripped. I tried to manually remove them by twisting with my fingers, I tried the "rubber band method", didn't work. I finally broke down and bought this screw extraction set...

http://www.amazon.com/58-0670-6-Piece-Extractor-Reversible-Driver/dp/B000JCT3W0

Even with this set I still can't seem to get them out. I haven't used a screw extractor before and quite frankly I'm not entirely sure I'm using it correctly. I haven't been able to find any type of manual or tutorial on how to use them. I believe the idea is to just work the pointy heads into the screw like a regular screwdriver and the points are used to get extra grip to help you unscrew the screw. If that is the case, none of these seem to be small enough to get into the screw. :(

Has anyone had any experience in getting stripped screws out of the bottom of an iPhone? Any experience in using this extractor set? It seems to be one of the more popular sets out there and a few of the reviews were from people who successfully extracted screws from iPhones. :/

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Well, if it were me and the screws were sticking out far enough, I'd take an electrical hobby tool with a thin cutting disk attached, and I'd cut a slot in each screw head so that they can be unscrewed with a flat head screwdriver.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
1) Get new screws-ebay has them, or the person you got the case from. 2) Get some JB Weld or fast drying epoxy and mix a small amount-size of an m and m. Dip a screwdriver in the epoxy and push it against the stripped screw-making sure not to get any on the iphone-masking tape would be good. Make sure it hardens fully, back the screw out. Scrape off the epoxy and start over on other screw.

You cross threaded the screw-I have done it too-and the screws are very soft and strip very easy.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Thank you for the suggestions. For some reason I feel like the glue/epoxy method would end up in a mess and I ultimately wouldn't have the patience to do it properly. :/

What sort of tool and attachment are you talking about that would be able to put a flat slot into the screw? Could you (or someone) possibly post a link? I think I may try that method. I have replacement screws (both philips and pentalobe...the seller I bought the case from was good enough to send me extras).

Davidv804

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Thank you for the suggestions. For some reason I feel like the glue/epoxy method would end up in a mess and I ultimately wouldn't have the patience to do it properly. :/

What sort of tool and attachment are you talking about that would be able to put a flat slot into the screw? Could you (or someone) possibly post a link? I think I may try that method. I have replacement screws (both philips and pentalobe...the seller I bought the case from was good enough to send me extras).
hey did you ever get those stripped screws out if so can you tell how you did it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.