Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
willpearson
macrumors newbie

Streaming/remote itunes/AEBS/AE/Macbook as media centre? Too many options!

Hi there,

I don't understand the cans and cannots of all the available options. So I thought if I list my hardware and my wishlist of what I'd like to do perhaps someone here can help me come up with a plan?

My Hardware
*late 2007 white macbook running leopard (currently sitting round)
*unibody macbook - leopard (my wife's)
*13" MBPr - mountain lion (my main machine)
*1st gen ipod touch
*5th gen ipod touch
*Airport Extreme
*mini ipad (likely to arrive soon)
*airport express(es) to be bought if need be

My Wishlist
AUDIO (my main concern for now)
1. To have one always-on source of media
2. To control that source from either macbook and from ipod touch and ipad.
3. To send that source to several speakers around the house

PHOTOS/VIDEO
4. I have some films on HDD attached to airport extreme - would be nice to see them on my TV
5. All our photos are currently on my wife's macbook. Perhaps I should move them elsewhere and view them on the TV somehow too?

So with the hardware I have - what's the best option? Go wild!

Thanks everyone.
willpearson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:12 PM   #2
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

I believe Plex will do everything you want. It would be good to have one centralized location for all your media, though. Not an absolute requirement, but it will make your life easier.

Here is how my setup is:

I have an Airport Extreme base station with three 2TB drives attached to it (via USB hub). This is where ALL my media lives -- photos, music, and movies. I have Plex Server running on my desktop Mac that serves the media to all the other devices. The server auto-connects to all three drives whenever it reboots (which is rarely -- I leave it on all the time).

I have three Roku boxes on the three TVs in my house that can stream from the Plex server (regardless of the format of the media). You can run the Plex client on any Mac (e.g., hook up your white MacBook to your TV and use your Apple remote). Both the client and the server software are free.

Additionally, you can download the low-cost Plex iOS app and stream to your iPhone or iPad.

http://www.plexapp.com/

In reference to streaming audio around the house (by Airport Expresses?), you can get iTunes/AirPlay to stream whatever music you want, to whatever speaker(s) you want. It's built into iTunes and your iOS device. Just use the Apple Remote iOS application to control your iTunes.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:21 PM   #3
willpearson
macrumors newbie

Thanks aarond - I'm still thinking this through, so appreciate your patience...

So if I'm running plex on the white macbook - I can control that from plex on my mbp?

If my daughter wants to stick a song on our hifi (connected to the white macbook) - she can play a song from the white macbook using her ipod touch?

The white macbook can pull all the media off a hdd attached to the AEBS upstairs, over wifi?

Would plex allow me to send to several wifi speakers around the house (via Airport Express I think) and could I select which speakers I want on.

I'll look into airplay too...
willpearson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store