Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1
jason.siegel
macrumors 6502

Apple Mail + Gmail problems

I am having some problems with Mail + Gmail:

1. Emails I try to send go directly to the outbox and just sit there. I am not prompted with an error; settings should be correct.

2. I receive an email and am alerted. It is in [Gmail] > All Mail but not my inbox. When I refresh again, it downloads (separately, it seems) to my Inbox.

3. There is a folder list called [Gmail] and no "Use This Mailbox For" option, as there used to be.

4. When I hit "delete," emails go to Trash > Gmail as well as [Gmail] > All Mail. However, emails in All Mail are not necessarily in my Trash.

Thanks.
jason.siegel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Mugwumper
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Mugwumper Send a message via Yahoo to Mugwumper Send a message via Skype™ to Mugwumper
Hmmm, no problems for me (10+ Gmail accounts)

What ISP are you using? I've had issues from time to time like you describe, but they seem to be related to local ISP issues, not Gmail.

Are you setting up your Gmail account in Mail as its own Inbox? And then its own outgoing mail server?

And there apparently was some sort of Gmail outage today - don't know if that contributed to your problems.

While most people prefer IMAP to POP, all my Gmail accounts in Mail are set up as POP. After you set up the account in Mail, you need to go back and confirm in Gmail that the account is POP - it defaults to IMAP, if I remember right.

Last edited by Mugwumper; Dec 10, 2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: forgot an item
Mugwumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
jason.siegel
macrumors 6502

It's not my ISP. Today I re-enabled Gmail in Mail, after it being disabled for some time. I think "inbox" is actually the same; That one main Inbox icon represents what's in my Gmail inbox. Sent, Trash, etc., however, are not the same folder.
jason.siegel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.siegel View Post
It's not my ISP. Today I re-enabled Gmail in Mail, after it being disabled for some time. I think "inbox" is actually the same; That one main Inbox icon represents what's in my Gmail inbox. Sent, Trash, etc., however, are not the same folder.
GMail had a major worldwide outage today...this may be the reason.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store