Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
eric/

Made in the US

For anybody interested in the subject, and manufacturing, documentaries, etc...

Made in the USA

Talks about the manufacturing sector in the US and what is actually made here.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Prof.
macrumors 601

Excellent special! I watched the whole thing before bed last night, and I'm glad to see manufacturing jobs in the USA aren't all extinct.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
Excellent special! I watched the whole thing before bed last night, and I'm glad to see manufacturing jobs in the USA aren't all extinct.
Thanks. I'm glad somebody besides me watched it.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Prof.
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Thanks. I'm glad somebody besides me watched it.
Ha. I meant to comment before I passed out, but I forgot. I kinda want to go play on that aircraft carrier.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Ha. I meant to comment before I passed out, but I forgot. I kinda want to go play on that aircraft carrier.
Haven't watched it yet, but I am pleased that the War effort still sports the Made in America label.

iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Prof.
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Haven't watched it yet, but I am pleased that the War effort still sports the Made in America label.

We produce the most munitions!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:36 PM   #7
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
We produce the most munitions!
War is Hell, but not to the bottom line.

OK, I'll leave quietly.
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Merkava_4
macrumors 6502

I enjoyed watching that. Thank you for posting that sir.
Merkava_4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

I have taken a strong interest in this the past year having purchased a lot of made in America stuff.
Ice Dragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:50 PM   #10
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Dragon View Post
I have taken a strong interest in this the past year having purchased a lot of made in America stuff.
Yup. I buy local and American made as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I enjoyed watching that. Thank you for posting that sir.
No problem. Glad you enjoyed it.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:32 AM   #11
63dot
macrumors 601

Gibson guitars comes to mind but I wish they stayed in Kalamazoo, Michigan but that's for another thread.

It's great to know though that an amazing 11 million people are employed, we're still the world's #1 manufacturer, and that there is incredible innovation like the TV special's last company Willow Garage who builds personal home robots.

Last edited by 63dot; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

I have mostly been working on clothes and linens. I am also buying plastic cups and possibly some plates. After that, I think most of my work will be done.

Strictly USA has sells made in the USA washcloths, hand towels, and bath towels from 1888 Mills which is pretty cool.

There's tons of clothing sites.

Clarus makes a very strong plastic cup line that is BPA free and made in the US.

I'm not sure what else I want that's made here. I guess whatever is available. The more I have made here the better.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:37 AM   #13
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Most wool now comes from South America, even in the clothing is made in the US... They don't have to disclose the source of the wool to say it was made in the USA.
thewitt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:50 AM   #14
robbieduncan

I don't want to derail this thread but for those of us who live in the UK and would like to support our local business check out http://makeitbritish.co.uk/

Regardless of whether it's better for a nations economy I think the environmental aspects of buying stuff made in the same country you live in make it worth while at least considering when making purchases.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:39 AM   #15
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
Gibson guitars comes to mind but I wish they stayed in Kalamazoo, Michigan but that's for another thread.
A company with an appalling record of mistreatment of workers,frankly if they went bust it would be a good thing.
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:00 AM   #16
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
A company with an appalling record of mistreatment of workers,frankly if they went bust it would be a good thing.
When they were there they were OK but when the awful CEO now who got the company the title as the worst place to work in America by Huffington Post did a lot to hurt the company's HR reputation. A senior manager once said his job was simply not to piss off the CEO. There are even worse things written about him:

http://my.firedoglake.com/phoenix/20...ced-jerkowitz/

As for the quality of the guitars, the smart choices for sticking with top selling items, and rebuilding a company that got fat and comfortable, the CEO is a genius. From a person who knows him really well, they told me he was "mercurial". Though not the traditional type of person to run a musical instrument business with the pulse of the player in mind, he had a way of knowing what the market wanted next year before anybody else. But he's not the guy you want to ride in the elevator with and he loves the management by walking around concept. He seems to operate on having the workers be on edge and there are so many parallels to this guy and the guy who once ran Apple. When he passes on or retires, a bio of him will have more similarities to Steve Jobs than anybody who ever ran a company.

Last edited by 63dot; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Most wool now comes from South America, even in the clothing is made in the US... They don't have to disclose the source of the wool to say it was made in the USA.
And I think some are okay with that even. Many are just sick of seeing made in China. It doesn't have to be 100% made in the USA (parts, materials, and labor), sometimes just the made part is good.

Is it better to have it all domestic? Eh, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
I don't want to derail this thread but for those of us who live in the UK and would like to support our local business check out http://makeitbritish.co.uk/

Regardless of whether it's better for a nations economy I think the environmental aspects of buying stuff made in the same country you live in make it worth while at least considering when making purchases.
Thank you. Being that the UK is one of the few allies the US has left, I will definitely buy something from them.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #18
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post

Quote:
And I think some are okay with that even. Many are just sick of seeing made in China. It doesn't have to be 100% made in the USA (parts, materials, and labor), sometimes just the made part is good.

Is it better to have it all domestic? Eh, who knows.

Thank you. Being that the UK is one of the few allies the US has left, I will definitely buy something from them.
Funny I was talking to some English people just the other week, about the Kraft takeover of Cadbury, and they didn't have a good word for it, lying bastards was mentioned at least twice.

Chocolate that tastes like plastic was also mentioned more than once.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...es-200-uk-jobs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-company.html

Last edited by Happybunny; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Happybunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

I agree with that though. All you need to do is think about how Kraft's Mac n Cheese is.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:59 PM   #20
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Isn't this being completely disingenuous?

Made in the USA is supposed to mean 100% sourced from US materials.

No metals mined or refined in a foreign country.

No subassemblies built outside the US.

Local wool sheared from local sheep, dyed and spun in a local mill.

Why let anyone advertise as Made in the USA if it is not completely true?
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:23 PM   #21
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:

I think for a Ford, which may have a lightbulb, paint, or electronic components from elsewhere, is still basically an American car. It's OK to say made in USA since most of it is done here. But if you want to be a purist, there are those products, too.

I once chanced on a site that had stuff 100% percent made in USA down to electronic parts (which is hard to do) or an appliance finished in an American made paint, and of course all factories here in USA. The list which had the 100% percent criteria was very a very small band of individual entrepreneurs and small companies and while it covered every conceivable industry, it was maybe less than 100 products. Certain foodstuffs, and with only American made fertilizers and agricultural tools were the rule, too. It was a lot like the restrictions found in the Old Testament. I wouldn't say they were better products but that intense attention to detail has to have some good results. All workers were American or had the right to work here so no under the table stuff with illegal aliens. There were no shortcuts and everyone was paid at least minimum wage and no piecework or commission thus these products, no matter what they were, seemed a bit pricey. A disproportionate amount of the workers who made these products were in American unions and made pretty good money, too.

Stuff like a USA made car didn't count, of course, because too many materials and components were either made elsewhere or even with American parts were outsourced to save money. There were no USA cars on the website.

There are some individual guitar makers, but not companies, that make 100% percent American made guitars with all wood grown in our borders and the maple (a staple in guitar making) for instance, isn't even from Canada or allowed to be. While much of the also common guitar woods like mahogany and rosewood are largely found outside of the USA, other domestic woods are used even for the first time in an instrument like a guitar. In some cases, expensive composite materials or uber expensive carbon graphite are used instead of wood. While a lot of very poor countries with awful human rights violations have some of the best guitar woods, we do carbon graphite better than just about anyone.

Certain very expensive varnishes and shellac on American only instruments are USA products and can take a long time to order, too and that's how strict some individual guitar makers (luthiers) can be. One maker who eventually got bought out by an international mega-corporation used to use only American made tools, too and would forgo electricity if that said tool wasn't to be found in America in a plug in form so he would do it by hand. Certain American saws only came as hand saws so he would actually saw certain stuff by hand in a way that hasn't been done for many decades. All tools he used, to make a point, were Sears Craftsman brand, but only if there were made here. A lot of really superior tools for guitar making were/are made in Germany, but he never used those and would use his Sears tools in ways there weren't designed, just so he could be "American".

Last edited by 63dot; Dec 19, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:02 AM   #22
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Hmm. American made fertilizer made from American drilled oil?
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:46 PM   #23
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I would love for that to be the case though sometimes it's not always possible. I would say make it known on the label as some companies do. Made in the USA from foreign materials. Naturally though in a perfect world, I would want everything 100% domestic.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:33 AM   #24
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
I would love for that to be the case though sometimes it's not always possible. I would say make it known on the label as some companies do. Made in the USA from foreign materials. Naturally though in a perfect world, I would want everything 100% domestic.
If everyone (in the US) would live on the same mindset the US economy would have a short burst only to fall even deeper afterwards when it got even less competive...

I'll buy a car Made in Germany the very day it offers better value than one Made in France/Japan/Korea.

With trend as they are I will buy a car Made in China (unthinkable atm) long before I'd buy one Made in USA (not even those carrying german brands).

Or in short, proctectism is a 100% guaranteed way for complete economic failure.
Bug-Creator is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:12 AM   #25
champ01

I think the resources for production should be won locally as much as possible but we know certain resources are only available on some parts of this planet.
We can't divide the world into nations. Its one of the worst things in human history.

Lets say that every organ in your body would think that its more important then another organ. You would rot away within a days. We all depend on each other one way or the other so we need to declare the resources to all the people on this planet not a select few. The fact is that people all share the same basic needs to survive. We need good resource management which is designed to be as economic as possible meaning providing all the necessities of life without damaging the world and those living on it.

From the day we are born we think in money. "We need money to survive, to do this and that blablabla" is what most people say which is true but only within the monetary system we use today.

Its almost 2013 and we've reached a point were we can use our science and technology to benefit everyone on earth not a select few and fade out almost any situation in which scarcity would happen.
Does anyone know how? Let that be our main focus from now on.
We can build a free environment for everyone, with green energy, the highest technology available, no more price tags, no more brands, no more warranties, no more insurance companies, no more banks, no more inhuman jobs, no more advertising, no more pollution, no more politics, no more poverty. Only a free world would be good enough!

I say F,,, this economy. Lets do something better.
  0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues