Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:56 PM   #1
puremeerkat
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 is crazy durable!!

I just want to tell everyone how durable my iPhone 5 proved to be today! So I was working out at the gym earlier today and I decided to go on the treadmill. About 4 miles into my run on speed 7 mph, my iphone fell from the cup holder. My iphone was hanging from my earpods which were in my ears, and banging on the treadmill as it moved. It probably hit the treadmill 20 times. Then it detached from the headphones and slid onto the tiles at a very fast pace.

I immediately got off the treadmill expecting everything to be destroyed. But lo and behold my iphone didn't have a single scratch on it! I inspected into very thoroughly. This is amazing! I had no case and and only a screen protector. This phone really is built like a tank.
puremeerkat is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #2
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

just dont sit on it or scratch your keys on the sides
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Zach Vega
macrumors regular

One time, I dropped my iPhone 5 from the second floor with no case. And when I went down there, no blemishes. It looked exactly the same as before.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
karter16
macrumors member

One time on it's last trip back from Mars my iphone 5 encountered a solar storm just before it re-entered Earth's atmosphere. It got tossed around a fair bit and was thrown slightly off cause, causing it to miss the cushion I'd laid out for it to land on, and instead it hit my letterbox. Amazingly there were no scratches on it!!!

Seriously though - I'm very happy with mine. I've had it for 2 months now and it is completely blemish-free, apart from one mark where I accidentally dinged the edge of the chamfer pretty hard against another metal object, there's a little scuff there, but apart from that it's scratch-free. Seems to be scratching at a slower rate than my iPhone 4 did :-)
karter16 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by puremeerkat View Post
I just want to tell everyone how durable my iPhone 5 proved to be today! So I was working out at the gym earlier today and I decided to go on the treadmill. About 4 miles into my run on speed 7 mph, my iphone fell from the cup holder. My iphone was hanging from my earpods which were in my ears, and banging on the treadmill as it moved. It probably hit the treadmill 20 times. Then it detached from the headphones and slid onto the tiles at a very fast pace.

I immediately got off the treadmill expecting everything to be destroyed. But lo and behold my iphone didn't have a single scratch on it! I inspected into very thoroughly. This is amazing! I had no case and and only a screen protector. This phone really is built like a tank.
I think you got lucky.
SchuettS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

op i had a pretty severe drop a few weeks ago myself,not s single scratch or dent
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:39 PM   #7
chakraj
macrumors 65816

One time; at band camp........ oh never mind.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Good to know! I did exactly that with my 4s in an otter box. The otter box cracked, but the 4s was fine.

It's amazing how fast it flies off the back.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:51 PM   #9
ercsliberty
macrumors 6502

have mine in a case, few drops, no issues
ercsliberty is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Jalopybox
Banned

Nice try Tim Cook, we aint buyin' it.
Jalopybox is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Troneas
macrumors 65816

Yes Tim very nice, just please go back to the drawing board with iPhone 5S.
Troneas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:19 PM   #12
MJD Dawg
macrumors 6502

Location: Near the Intersection of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca and N.A. Plates
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
One time; at band camp........ oh never mind.
This made me LOL!
MJD Dawg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
iPhone 5 is crazy durable!!
U got lucky. But OK.
Mrbobb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

It hit the treadmill 20 times while hanging from your ear buds and you didn't notice it? Ain't buying it.

+1 on the Mars story!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:44 PM   #15
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 dura-gate?
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Whoa you are lucky my friend.
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:01 PM   #17
puremeerkat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
It hit the treadmill 20 times while hanging from your ear buds and you didn't notice it? Ain't buying it.

+1 on the Mars story!
This was obviously an exaggeration as I couldn't count how many times it hit the treadmill. The person on the machine behind me said it hit the treadmill many times.. You don't have to believe me.. what purpose would I have in lying?
puremeerkat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #18
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Two ends of the spectrum.

People complaining about how easily their iPhone 5 got scuffed, and here, people saying that their iPhone 5 is crazy durable. It's like their 2 very different manufacturers for the same product, resulting in different qualities.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:13 PM   #19
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

To be fair, pics or it didn't happen. We expect those with damage to show pics. We also expect those who say nothing happened to show pics. Of course we still have no idea if your story is true or not. That sounds like a lot of stress for a phone to go through. Of course the treadmill is soft and has some give. But I have no idea if you mean actual tile floor underneath or the normal rubber floors I see in a lot of gyms.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:30 AM   #20
blancoBronco
macrumors 6502a

i've dropped mine several times from various heights onto wood flooring, and all that's happened to it are a few scuffs on the aluminum band, no cracks or anything

SOLD: 32 GB iPhone 5S, 16 GB iPhone 5,16 GB iPhone 4S, 16 GB iPhone 4, 16GB iPhone 3G S, 8GB iPhone 3G, 8GB iPhone 2G
blancoBronco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:33 AM   #21
iPh0neTy
macrumors member

Quote:

I did a 1500ft drop test with my iPhone 5 using a rocket and it survived the fall with no more than a cracked screen...
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:19 AM   #22
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Lucky bounces.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:10 AM   #23
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

The treadmill surface is padded rubber.

This is akin to bragging: "I dropped my iphone onto soft padded foam. It bounced around a million times! Not one scratch! Conclusion: iphone is built like a tank!"

Great logic, sherlock.
mackandproud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 AM   #24
Hpye
macrumors 6502

Same here, no scratches or any scuff. Been using it for 2 months since it came out without any case. I dont know what people are talking about scuff gate thing. I understand some have scuff right out of the box, thats becuse of the machine they use in the factory to do the chamfer edges, but if you dont have scratch right out of the box then the phone is so hard to get scratch. For normal(not intentionally scratching with a key) daily use, this phone is so hard to get scratch
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:30 AM   #25
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
To be fair, he never said he didn't notice it. Have you ever run on a treadmill? An iPhone hanging from your ears will easily bounce around 20+ times in a matter of seconds going 7mph. Anyway, most treadmills these days are coated in rubber and plastic. Banging around on that isn't what surprises me. Im shocked there were no scuffs after being launched off the belt.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone