Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I am making an observation here with all of the apple television talks. I was an exclusive ATV2 user and I love it. Airplay and everything else is great. Netflix and Hulu Plus are great as well. I hadn't turned on my PS3 in almost a year and I decided to check out Amazon Prime video since I have a free trial. The PS3 streaming is pretty awesome. Everything seemed much crisper and more vivid than what I normally see on the ATV2. I realize one is 1080p and the other is 720p but that aside the quality on the PS3 seemed to edge out the ATV2. Also, the UI is pretty fluid especially with the PS3 remote (not remote control). Then it got me thinking how apple really needs to start adding more apps, especially Amazon Prime. I find the Prime to have as good if not a better selection than Netflix streaming does. And, if they allow Netflix why not Amazon Prime? When you compare the two services they are pretty even. I would even settle for just being restricted to Prime movies and those you purchase through Amazon versus being able to rent movies through Amazon. I would gladly continue renting movies from iTunes. Hopefully we all get what we want soon and they start allowing apps in the ATV2. I'd love to cut cable and just have 1 device to use for everything.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I use my PS3 more for media due to the above (I also have both).

Also, because it more easily plays more content types. The only thing i use the ATV for is renting movies.

Jus711

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Better comparison would probably be a jailbroken atv2 since that allows you to play all formats and access a NAS-though with AirPlay you can do some of those things without a jailbreak. The PS3 plays more formats except for mkv, has DLNA, and will play HD audio formats so pound for pound is a better media streamer but its close.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Better comparison would probably be a jailbroken atv2 since that allows you to play all formats and access a NAS-though with AirPlay you can do some of those things without a jailbreak. The PS3 plays more formats except for mkv, has DLNA, and will play HD audio formats so pound for pound is a better media streamer but its close.

I had jailbroken my ATV2 early on and I really wasn't impressed. I guess maybe I just bought into the ecosystem to much and when I ripped all my movies I made sure they were in ATV format. Plex was ok but I hated the folder structure and the plugins for various hulu etc. never seemed to work right for me. I also live in an apartment and don't mind leaving my MBP on with a hard drive connected to my AEBS to stream the movies to my ATV. I would use airplay but my MBP doesn't support it and the streaming through homesharing works flawlessly. I feel that if an app is in iPad it should be in ATV by default. I guess I was just impressed with how far the PS3 has come and how static the ATV has remained. Hulu plus is great but pointless to me since I still have cable. Netflix doesn't have any better content than Amazon Prime so I guess it is really all in what you prefer - though I feel you get a little more bang for you buck on Prime than Netflix these days. I love my ATV but may end up turning on the PS3 a little bit more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.