Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
What drains the iPad's battery most quickly, would you say?

Games?

Games that require internet connection? (Such as..?)

Netflix?

Web Browsing?

(Obviously it's not listening to music with the screen off, or reading iBooks)

But what would you personally say drain the battery for you the quickest?

*Just doing a report/study on iPad.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Graphic intensive Games with Internet
And
Netflix/Hulu

Everything with permanent cellular/wifi and intensive in burning CPU/GPU cycles

No evidence; only guts feeling

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Graphic intensive Games with Internet
And
Netflix/Hulu

Everything with permanent cellular/wifi and intensive in burning CPU/GPU cycles

No evidence; only guts feeling

What would be a game with intense graphics and requiring an Internet connection? I would like to test this out on my iPad..

*edit: I would imagine an intense graphics game requiring Internet connection, meanwhile streaming pandora would perhaps be the overall most intense.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
What would be a game with intense graphics and requiring an Internet connection? I would like to test this out on my iPad..

*edit: I would imagine an intense graphics game requiring Internet connection, meanwhile streaming pandora would perhaps be the overall most intense.

I would start with AirSupremacy in multi player mode ... That should give you a good drain ... Maybe add AirPlay with Wifi-Apple TV to get the display on in big screen ...

If you have an iPad 3 it will get "warm"

Last edited:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I would start with AirSupremacy in multi player mode ... That should give you a good drain ... Maybe add AirPlay with Wifi-Apple TV to get the display on in big screen ...

If our have an iPad 3 it will get "warm"

That sounds good, and I have that game. I'll have to make sure to test it out. I do not have an Apple TV with me but I'm sure I can work around that.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Connect to Wifi would give you are good drain.

I feel that if im at a location in my house where the wifi signal is low, then my ipad would have a hard time opening pages and eat up more battery.

If im close to the router, battery go down slower.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Notability uses about 20% with constant use in a 50 minute lecture with recording so it's definitely the biggest battery drainer for me.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
What drains the iPad's battery most quickly, would you say?

Games?

Games that require internet connection? (Such as..?)

Netflix?

Web Browsing?

(Obviously it's not listening to music with the screen off, or reading iBooks)

But what would you personally say drain the battery for you the quickest?

*Just doing a report/study on iPad.

The display brightness by a long-shot.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Closing apps does nothing. They're not open when switched away, they are frozen. The only apps doing things when switched away are music or download/network apps.

You're all paranoid.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Closing apps does nothing. They're not open when switched away, they are frozen. The only apps doing things when switched away are music or download/network apps.

You're all paranoid.

Assuming the developer didn't botch something this is correct. You should never need to quit apps

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is downloading or updating apps. Also, I agree that games are a major battery drainer.

clystron

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Display brightness and also games.

I own an iPad3 and a Mini, both are used mainly for web, email and movies so the screen is on constantly during usage. When brightness is mainly low I get way more usage than advertised by apple, with high brightness its shortended considerably.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

An online 3D multiplayer game with maximum screen brightness should be a real power drainer, because:

- high energy-usage of display (the most inefficient component)
- high energy-usage of GPU and CPU
- constant Internet connection in use

Screen brightness is really the killer.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Definitely...as mentioned numerous times, brightness is a biggie!!

...as is tethering from the iPad (using as a hotspot)

Music production/MIDI apps and DAWs especially now with AudioBus and the ability to 'link' a workflow using multiple audio/instrument applications simultaneously.

Movies, contrary to popular belief (at least in this thread)--don't really suck the battery any more than casual surfing/gaming

Intense and online/MP gaming is a different story

Casual vs intense = Infinity Blade/Air Supremacy/RPGs/FPSs, et al. VS Angry birds, Plants vs. Zombies, Cut the Rope---you can play the latter forever:)

I've also found, depending on the tasks I'm doing (on the target computer)--using Jump or Splashtop while I'm VPN'ing to the home workstation can also work the battery a bit more

Again, all of the above can be remedied a bit by controlling brightness

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Never closing out of apps on the multi tasking bar.

ahh you have been lied to! very few apps in IOS actually will run or drain battery being in that "multi task menu." The only one on my phone that actually does is a google chat app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.