Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:35 AM   #1
NikkiJayne
macrumors regular

Mac won't automatically connect to network

Yesterday we changed our ISP and got a new router and all that jazz. Every time I close my Mac's lid and then re-open it, I have to click to join the network - it won't remember that it's a preferred network. (I don't have to re-type the password though)

I tried resetting it in the network settings options as per someone else's instructions but I couldn't delete the network in order to re-add it. (backspace won't work, neither will cmd+backspace or right clicking) Any other ideas?

Last edited by NikkiJayne; Dec 11, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
NikkiJayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:55 AM   #2
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiJayne View Post
Yesterday we changed our ISP and got a new router and all that jazz. Every time I close my Mac's lid and then re-open it, I have to click to join the network - it won't remember that it's a preferred network. (I don't have to re-type the password though)

I tried resetting it in the network settings options as per someone else's instructions but I couldn't delete the network in order to re-add it. (backspace won't work, neither will cmd+backspace or right clicking) Any other ideas?
Does your network have the same name as the previous network?

Sometimes Lion/ML has some problems connecting to newer networks because it is trying to find the older WiFi network name and this is because that name is still remembered by OS X.

First thing I would try, IF you have a new network name, is to go to System Preferences > Network >Click/Highlight WiFi > Click Advanced > In the WiFi tab, Preferred Networks - remove all network names that you do not connect to anymore.
Personally I would just remove them all and then join the laptop back to the new WiFi network that way it is the only one it looks for.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, JetStream Gigabit, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:01 AM   #3
NikkiJayne
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomega View Post
Does your network have the same name as the previous network?

Sometimes Lion/ML has some problems connecting to newer networks because it is trying to find the older WiFi network name and this is because that name is still remembered by OS X.

First thing I would try, IF you have a new network name, is to go to System Preferences > Network >Click/Highlight WiFi > Click Advanced > In the WiFi tab, Preferred Networks - remove all network names that you do not connect to anymore.
Personally I would just remove them all and then join the laptop back to the new WiFi network that way it is the only one it looks for.
No, it has a new name. I can't delete any networks though, not with backspace nor cmd+backspace nor right clicking =/ I get the error sound when I try.

EDIT: Holy crap I just realised it has a minus button used to delete networks, what an idiot!
NikkiJayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:15 AM   #4
switon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiJayne View Post
EDIT: Holy crap I just realised it has a minus button used to delete networks, what an idiot!
Yeah, don't you just hate it when the "standard" keystrokes don't work in all apps?!

Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion