Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Can't find where this specifically has been asked.

in the new iTunes where you have the ability to choose iTunes backup or iCloud backup it says for iCloud - backs up most important data(or something similar) and for the iTunes backup - backs up all data.

Does anyone know what is backed up in iTunes that isn't for iCloud? What am I missing if I only do iCloud. I know if you password protect the iTunes you get account data but what else?
Anyone know?

Thanks

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Can't find where this specifically has been asked.

in the new iTunes where you have the ability to choose iTunes backup or iCloud backup it says for iCloud - backs up most important data(or something similar) and for the iTunes backup - backs up all data.

Does anyone know what is backed up in iTunes that isn't for iCloud? What am I missing if I only do iCloud. I know if you password protect the iTunes you get account data but what else?
Anyone know?

Thanks

This Apple Support article explains it pretty nicely.

Some of the differences:

iCloud Backup does not back up your music, movies and TV shows that you did not purchase from the iTunes Store, or podcasts, audio books, or photos that you originally synced from your computer. iCloud Backup will restore your purchased music, movie and app content from the iTunes and App Stores during the background restore process. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore.

[...]

Keep in mind that iTunes Backup does not actually back up your movies, music, podcasts, and apps. As noted in this article, your media content is synced from your primary computer via iTunes.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
There is no difference in what is backed up.

As noted above, your iTunes library is just where you'd normally store a copy of your Music, Videos, Apps etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.