iMovie playing audio only, no video - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
kdrose
macrumors newbie

iMovie playing audio only, no video

Hi, I am making a short video on iMovie. One of my clips was initially in .avi which I converted to .mov using Perian. I can now see the clip in quicktime, but when I import it into iMovie to edit, I can only hear the audio, and cannot see the video. Any helpful ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks!
kdrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Try converting the avi using MPEGStreamclip. Open the file and then Export to Quicktime. Use the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) setting as this is what iMovie was designed for.
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
ksunny
macrumors newbie

AIC video showing up black in iMovieHD

We've got the same problem.
We're using iMovie HD on MBP with OSX 10.6.8 to edit HD footage. The project was started on another computer using the same version of iMovie (5.0.2). On the new computer, all clips show up as black, but the audio works. The footage is full HD in .mov format at 29.97fps. The clips play fine in Quicktime, but the video doesn't show up in iMovie!

We tried importing a new .mov into the project, and the same thing happened - we hear audio but the picture is black. This clip also plays fine in QT.

The codec is already Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC). Are there different versions of this codec that are incompatible with each other?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
ksunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video