Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmanSLR

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Hey All, I was super excited when I see the new iMacs and love the design, I currently have a Core 2 Duo that I use at work and desperately need to upgrade. Here is my situation:

I need a new computer for work, and at work I need bootcamp, however my PC at home has an SSD and I wanted SSD only if possible on my new mac for work.

I do not have much files at work nor home, on my home PC I have a 512gb SSD and I only used maybe 100 GB of it. My PC at home is maxed a 7.8 score from windows, so I do not really downgrade.

So, with that said. I have 4 Options.

Option #1 Get a maxed out imac 27"

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

I will max out ram my self, this will cost ~4K.

Option #2 Get a imac maxed except for HDD and Swap with SSD my self. This option I do not know if 100% we can swap the base 1TB HDD and put in a SSD and install osx and windows on it without voiding warranty correct?

1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

I will max out ram and install a 512GB SSD my self (if possible)

This option with SSD and Ram would cost ~3K

Option # 3

Get the Maxed out Imac with a 1TB Fusion Drive and split the ssd for windows and os x? Is this possible?

1TB Fusion Drive

Again I would put ram in myself.

This would cost ~ 3.2K

Option # 4

Get an apple display for ~1K and build a PC my self. I have a 17" MBP maxed out i7 that is very fast and do not really use OS X at work on a daily basis, more like around 2-3 times a week and could bring my MBP to work when needed.

So option # 4, display would cost ~1K, and I can build an i7 PC with SSD and a better GPU for around 1.5K so total cost would be about ~2.6-2.7K.

I am kind of stuck, in a perfect world I want to just buy a maxed out 27" imac from apple with a 256 or 512 GB SSD, but the 1170$ for 756 is a bit too much for what I want to spend and I will not use more then 300GB of SSD even dual booting. If it is 100% possible to just get the standard 1 TB HDD and if it does not void warranty to Swap the HD for an SSD then I would do that.

What should I do? I appreciate the help!

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Hey All, I was super excited when I see the new iMacs and love the design, I currently have a Core 2 Duo that I use at work and desperately need to upgrade. Here is my situation:

I need a new computer for work, and at work I need bootcamp, however my PC at home has an SSD and I wanted SSD only if possible on my new mac for work.

I do not have much files at work nor home, on my home PC I have a 512gb SSD and I only used maybe 100 GB of it. My PC at home is maxed a 7.8 score from windows, so I do not really downgrade.

So, with that said. I have 4 Options.

Option #1 Get a maxed out imac 27"

768GB Flash Storage

I will max out ram my self, this will cost ~4K.

Option #2 Get a imac maxed except for HDD and Swap with SSD my self. This option I do not know if 100% we can swap the base 1TB HDD and put in a SSD and install osx and windows on it without voiding warranty correct?

1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

I will max out ram and install a 512GB SSD my self (if possible)

This option with SSD and Ram would cost ~3K

Option # 3

Get the Maxed out Imac with a 1TB Fusion Drive and split the ssd for windows and os x? Is this possible?

1TB Fusion Drive

Again I would put ram in myself.

This would cost ~ 3.2K

Option # 4

Get an apple display for ~1K and build a PC my self. I have a 17" MBP maxed out i7 that is very fast and do not really use OS X at work on a daily basis, more like around 2-3 times a week and could bring my MBP to work when needed.

So option # 4, display would cost ~1K, and I can build an i7 PC with SSD and a better GPU for around 1.5K so total cost would be about ~2.6-2.7K.

I am kind of stuck, in a perfect world I want to just buy a maxed out 27" imac from apple with a 256 or 512 GB SSD, but the 1170$ for 756 is a bit too much for what I want to spend and I will not use more then 300GB of SSD even dual booting. If it is 100% possible to just get the standard 1 TB HDD and if it does not void warranty to Swap the HD for an SSD then I would do that.

What should I do? I appreciate the help!

Get the third option but you may want to get it with the i5.

ArmanSLR

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
So I can use the 128GB of SSD of fusion for OS X and bootcamp? How does this work? Am I able to only install the operating systems on the SSD and all programs on the standard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.