Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Arrives for iPad

Legendary role-playing game Baldur's Gate has arrived for iPad tonight. It's a port of the beloved 1998 game by BioWare, but updated and enhanced with touchscreen controls and extra content like in-app purchases.

Sister-site TouchArcade notes that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition requires iOS 6 to play, which rules out the original iPad as a compatible device.
Quote:
This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons(TM) computer role-playing games ever since.

Now, upgraded and enhanced, it comes to your iPad.

* 80 hours of Epic RPG adventure
* Over 40 classes and kits
* Over 100 spells
* over 150 magical items
* New adventure: The Black Pits, a thrilling combat adventure
* New character: Rasaad yn Bashir, a Cal*****e Monk searching for answers.
* New character: Dorn Il-Khan, a half-orc blackguard with a history of violence.
* New character: Neera the Wild Mage, a half-elf on a quest to control her powerful magic.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad is available in the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Arrives for iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

iPad 1/ iOS 5 support is coming. They just have some memory issues they need to work out first.
Cougarcat is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:51 PM   #3
SteveJobs2.0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
iPad 1/ iOS 5 support is coming. They just have some memory issues they need to work out first.
Son, iPad 1 is so slow it will end up being a turn based game if it ever comes out on it.
SteveJobs2.0 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:53 PM   #4
bearda
macrumors 6502

Debating if I should wait for the Mac version or just try the iPad one now.
bearda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Played iPad 4 & iPad 3 multiplayer on Lan, multiplayer disconnected and had weird lag rubberbanding issues. Was pretty disappointed in general with the 'touchscreen' port which really doesn't take advantage of the touch much at all. The UI didn't really feel great and the options menus had all kinds of stuff talking about mouse speed etc.. I can't believe how rushed it feels, considering that it came out so many months late
iRCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
...and the options menus had all kinds of stuff talking about mouse speed etc..
Yeah, I thought that was a little weird myself. I think the touch controls work fairly well, though. The only thing I don't like is the lack of feedback when I press something. Having the doors, barrels, chests, stairs, and whatnot highlight and blink a couple times when you press them would help things out considerably.

Also, it's strange how I have to double-tap to get someone to attack a monster. The first click never seems to register as an attack. Instead, my guys just walk up and stand toe to toe with whatever I originally intended on killing.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:51 PM   #7
StellarSoul
macrumors regular

Love that so many serious games are coming to the iPad. GTA Vice City 10th Anniversary Edition and now Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition! Woo! Kinda sucked into The Walking Dead game at the moment though so these will have to wait.
StellarSoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:59 AM   #8
kot
macrumors regular

It's bad, it's really really bad to release a remake which looks worse than the original and is ridden with bugs not present in the original game.
kot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:20 AM   #9
slicktor
macrumors newbie

Anyone know when the one for Mac is supposed to release in the Mac App store?? Thanks!
slicktor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktor View Post
Anyone know when the one for Mac is supposed to release in the Mac App store?? Thanks!
When they have milked enough for iOS, it comes to Mac.
Mackan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:14 AM   #11
Ungibbed
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ungibbed Send a message via Yahoo to Ungibbed
I was hoping for the PS2 console port which turned it into a much easier to get into action RPG/Dungeon crawler.

I loved that game and I honestly think it would make a killer iOS entry.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:30 AM   #12
arcite
macrumors 6502a

The thing is, the source art for the game was lost a decade ago, so it limits how much up-scaling can do. I like the zoom feature though, it has its uses. Playing on iPad 3, I can say that the Retina does show pixels when you are zoomed all the way in, but otherwise the game looks beautiful, a work of art.

BG has never played this good. There is zero wait for transitions, a big plus.
Game play is great too with the touch interface, sure there are a few bugs that need to be worked out with forthcoming patches (particularly fixing a monster spawn bug). Word is that the first iPad patch is already in the oven, waiting for App store approval.

However, the game is pretty good as it is, a masterpiece of D&D RPG excellence. The art, sound, music, characters, story, side-quests are all completely EPIC.

The team who did this port is already working on BGII/TOB, with potential for more infinity games if they do well enough!

RPG NIRVANA!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:22 AM   #13
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

I'm digging it so far. It'll keep me busy until Eschalon 3 comes out next year.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:27 AM   #14
kurzz
macrumors 6502

The graphics is a bit jarring, but I guess it's just shock as to how things have progressed in the past decade. Otherwise, it brings back a lot of great memories.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:49 AM   #15
slicktor
macrumors newbie

Anyone playing on an ipad mini? How's the experience on that?
slicktor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Anyone playing on an ipad mini? How's the experience on that?
I was just about to ask this very question. Personally, I think it'd be a little too small, as most everything on the iPad feels right at the cusp of being just large enough to hit comfortably, with some things like items dropped from enemies, being just a bit too small.

Also, I gotta say the game would benefit from a couple of patches. I've had a couple situations where I get someone to cast a spell, and the framerate drops down to nearly single digits. If Beamdog were to fix that alongside the feedback issue, it'd be great. Right now though, it's a little rough around the edges.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Very soon. We might see it before iTunes connect shuts down on the 21st if they can fix the remaining issues and get an expedited review. If not, end of month/early Jan.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:45 PM   #18
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

As an old guy I don't play video games. But I can state with extreme certainty that I am "more Baldur" than you.
SeattleMoose is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Icaras
macrumors 601

I'll pick this up now if it has iCloud support between iOS and Mac, which I can't seem to find any info on.

Otherwise, I'll wait for the Mac version.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:26 AM   #20
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I'll pick this up now if it has iCloud support between iOS and Mac, which I can't seem to find any info on.

Syncing is on their to-do list. In the meantime you can move saves manually via iFunbox.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:26 AM   #21
crosspath
macrumors newbie

7/10

My thoughts thus far.

Touch interface is not intuitive and lacks more rugged control.
Old controls and options from original game redundant.
New tutorial added but obsolete in my opinion.
Looting takes a long time. I'm guessing touch precision problems.
Entangle spell effect slooooowed the game on my iPad2. I' guessing this will be a problem in larger combat with other area effect spells.

I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed this thus far but at the crossroads map there is a hidden ring (was there in earlier versions too) but when i try to loot it a variation of wolfs start to attack every time. So i was there until I killed some 6-7 wolfs and then died miserably (no ammo).

A side from that I don't really care if its buggy because the fun is "too damn high" I finally get to play BG everywhere & anywhere. And i suspect Overhaul will give us some patches with fixes so I'm not that worried so far.

Cheers
crosspath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:58 AM   #22
jedolley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

It's something they are working on I believe, but no update. With that said, I just wrote a guide on how you can transfer saves from the PC to iPad and this will work for the Mac version as well when it arrives.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...55&postcount=1
jedolley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:59 PM   #23
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Now if only someone would port Heroes of Might and Magic.
flux73 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:46 PM   #24
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Now if only someone would port Heroes of Might and Magic.
Ohhh, yes. While we're dreaming - I'd like a *real* version of Civilization complete with GameCenter integration.
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:26 PM   #25
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Little update for anyone planning on buying this.

Boo is bugged. He doesn't squeak in response to the things Minsc says, and clicking on him in his inventory crashes the game without fail.

HOW COULD YOU BUG BOO BEAMDOG?
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion