Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Netflix Uk

Today I restarted my ATV3 as Netflix kept quitting during movie playback. Once it restarted I noticed there was a lot of new content - much sought after new content! So I tried watching The Grey, to which Netflix said it wasn't available for streaming. Tried Hugo and some others and got the same error..

So I restarted the ATV again, this time the new content had reverted back to the same rubbish that had been there for months.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, or knows how to get it back?

Something that crossed my mind was maybe I'd been sent to the US version by mistake??
Hermes Monster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
TheKingOfHearts
macrumors newbie

Having access to both UK and US Netflix content, sounds like yes, you have for some reason been awarded, albeit temporarily, US content, as my US Netflix has The Grey on the front screen..
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:04 PM   #3
testerdennis
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes Monster View Post
Today I restarted my ATV3 as Netflix kept quitting during movie playback. Once it restarted I noticed there was a lot of new content - much sought after new content! So I tried watching The Grey, to which Netflix said it wasn't available for streaming. Tried Hugo and some others and got the same error..

So I restarted the ATV again, this time the new content had reverted back to the same rubbish that had been there for months.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, or knows how to get it back?

Something that crossed my mind was maybe I'd been sent to the US version by mistake??
If you want that US content I would suggest signing up to unblock-us the cost is $5 us dollars so thats chump change for you Brits lol...
testerdennis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:39 PM   #4
stevebubble
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerdennis View Post
If you want that US content I would suggest signing up to unblock-us the cost is $5 us dollars so thats chump change for you Brits lol...
If you have a mac go to mediahint.com and install their extension into chrome as it lets you access US versions of Netflix, Hulu, Pandora etc. You can then access US versions on the mac and mirror them to your Apple TV.
stevebubble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:50 PM   #5
sensorian
macrumors member

Why is Netflix content in the UK so nostril offendingly stinky? The last time on there I could only find one thing I wanted to watch. Even if it were free I'd think I was getting a bad deal.
sensorian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Yeah I suspect it was US content, I was considering cancelling it anyway, because as mentioned above the UK content is terrible.

I've tried the unblock US on my Xbox previously, so may consider doing that again - is there a problem switching back to UK content should I need to? I assume it's just a DNS change on the ATV?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:07 AM   #7
institute
macrumors regular

Unblockus has a function, through their web site, where once subscribed you can choose what version of Netflix you want to use through a simple drop down menu.

So you have access to US, UK, Canadian, Mexican (etc) Netflix and can move back and forth between the one you want at any given time.

For example, Canadian Netflix often has decent movies that are not on US Netflix but the latter has many more TV shows.

Last edited by institute; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:37 AM   #8
sixteen12
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by institute View Post
Unblockus has a function, through their web site, where once subscribed you can choose what version of Netflix you want to use through a simple drop down menu.

So you have access to US, UK, Canadian, Mexican (etc Netflix) and can move back and forth between the one you want at any given time.

For example, Canadian Netflix often has decent movies that are not on US Netflix but the latter has many more TV shows.
How quickly can this be done? IE could I watch something on Canadian Netflix then switch the drop down menu on Unblock US to US and watch something there?
sixteen12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:13 AM   #9
institute
macrumors regular

If you are already in the netflix app you just have to exit after you switch the location on the unblockus website and then re-enter the Netflix app.

Last edited by institute; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Good to know, thank you. Of course this wouldn't be necessary if Netflix UK had a lot more content. I've enjoyed it for catching up on TV for a couple of months, but now I feel like I've exhausted the decent content

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater