Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

NVIDIA Class-Action Settlement for MacBook Pro Owners

Several MacRumors readers have forwarded us emails they received earlier today notifying them of a proposed class-action settlement for customers who purchased certain MacBook Pro models or other Dell and HP notebooks and have been experiencing failures of their graphics chips.
Quote:
A settlement of a class action lawsuit (The NVIDIA GPU Litigation, Case No. 08-cv-04312-JW) relates to the NVIDIA chips inside certain Dell, Hewlett-Packard ("HP"), and Apple notebook computers. The lawsuit claims that NVIDIA sold defective Graphics Processing Units ("GPU") and Media and Communications Processors ("MCP") that affected the performance of some of the notebook computers in which they were incorporated. NVIDIA denies all allegations of wrongdoing and has asserted many defenses. The settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing.
For MacBook Pro customers, only those who have experienced the following issues on the covered machines are eligible for compensation:

- Distorted or scrambled video on the notebook computer screen
- No video on the notebook computer screen even when the notebook computer is on

Users who qualify for compensation may be eligible to receive either free replacement of the faulty chip or reimbursement for repairs previously paid-for by the customer to address the problem.

It is unclear exactly what effect the proposed settlement will have on Apple customers in practice, as Apple itself has already stepped up to cover affected machines. After initially covering the machines for the specific issue for two years from date of purchase, Apple in June 2009 increased the coverage to three years. According to the tech note on the topic, Apple in June 2010 again extended the coverage limits to four years, meaning that customers are covered by Apple until at least May 2011. Similar to the NVIDIA settlement, Apple is offering free repairs or refunds for previously paid-for repairs for affected customers.

Article Link: NVIDIA Class-Action Settlement for MacBook Pro Owners
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2

Not exactly the same thing, but this reinforces my case for requesting due rectification of the gpu failure following a couple of SC2 sessions with my iMac; I will definitely mention it.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

We were talking about this in the MBP forum, but yeah I'm not sure how anyone with an MBP could benefit from this since Apple is already doing everything stated in the suit. Good luck to those HP & Dell guys tho
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:35 PM   #4
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

So I guess if apple repaired mine for free I'm unaffected? That laptop had so many problems... ugh.
zerocustom1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
fungus
macrumors regular

Was not aware of the additional year extension. This is good (better) news for those affected.
fungus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Feynman
macrumors member

My MacBook Pro 17" exhibited that problem but Apple repaired it free of charge even though it was way out of warranty. I'm happy enough with that. Would I like a brand new MacBook Pro? Of course but not at Apple's expense, unless of course they shove it down my throat
Feynman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Time Less
macrumors regular

my early 08 was made in october, will i still qualify?
Time Less is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:42 PM   #8
tatonka
macrumors 6502

I actually that exact problem and Apple fixed it for free .. took three or four days. Pretty sweet service, didn't even need a proof of purchase.

T.

PS .. of course, the MBP was out of regular waranty ..
tatonka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:45 PM   #9
alphaod
macrumors Core

So Dell and HP have yet to fix their machines?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:45 PM   #10
slowpoke
macrumors member

Yeah, what exactly is the point of this suit? My GPU failed and I got it replaced free of charge by an authorised reseller within 48 hours. Seems to be offering exactly the same thing as Apple themselves.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:46 PM   #11
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

I have had zero problems on mine.
PeterQVenkman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:47 PM   #12
3NV7
macrumors newbie

Too bad; I was hoping this was for the 9400M blinking problems. Guess we'll have to wait for Apple to do right on that one.
3NV7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Very nice! I had Apple Care cover the cost of mine though, so no worries for me.
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:57 PM   #14
timnosenzo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

- No video on the notebook computer screen even when the notebook computer is on
I had this happen 3 times to my old 17". Apple fixed it no questions asked each time, but it was still a hassle.
timnosenzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:59 PM   #15
incoherent1
macrumors member

1st: I had a MBP affected by this whose GPU died 9 months ago, and no one at either of the Apple stores I took my computer to had any idea this was a larger problem, so that's a fail on Apple as far as I'm concerned.

2nd: I think this is an *extremely* weak settlement. Many people (myself included) decided to buy a new computer rather than pay the excessive cost of a replacement GPU (after parts, labor, shipping, finding another computer to work on for the week it's away, etc. etc.). If my computer failed because of a defect, they should pay me the cost of the repairs, regardless of whether I had the repairs made or not (at the end of the day, I "paid" the repair cost in the form of having to prematurely buy a new computer).
incoherent1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:04 PM   #16
newfoundglory
macrumors regular

I have one of the early 2008 models too. Had no idea we had gone from 3 to 4 years. Nice one Apple

There must have been a lot of machines affected by this.
newfoundglory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:07 PM   #17
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Closed my lid on my 17 inch Santa Rosa, opened it back up and it never displayed anything. Took it to the Apple Store and it was replaced under AppleCare. No issues since. I guess this settlement doesn't apply to me.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:11 PM   #18
TigerWoodsIV
macrumors regular

Luckily Apple took care of me already, but good to know it's extended to 4 years in case it happens again.
TigerWoodsIV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:11 PM   #19
elminno
macrumors newbie

I suppose what's going to happen is that nothing changes for MacBook Pro owners. Apple will probably just ask NVIDIA for a cash back for all the repairs they've made at their own expense up until now. Makes sense? No? Leave a comment.
elminno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:14 PM   #20
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Apple replaced my entire logic board last ya because I had some of these problems. It was out if warranty but they still fixed it.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:14 PM   #21
unkdirkpitt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoherent1 View Post
1st: I had a MBP affected by this whose GPU died 9 months ago, and no one at either of the Apple stores I took my computer to had any idea this was a larger problem, so that's a fail on Apple as far as I'm concerned.

2nd: I think this is an *extremely* weak settlement. Many people (myself included) decided to buy a new computer rather than pay the excessive cost of a replacement GPU (after parts, labor, shipping, finding another computer to work on for the week it's away, etc. etc.). If my computer failed because of a defect, they should pay me the cost of the repairs, regardless of whether I had the repairs made or not (at the end of the day, I "paid" the repair cost in the form of having to prematurely buy a new computer).
I bought a new computer as well, however Apple let me return the machine 2months later because it turns out I did have the defect when they said I didn't. The only thing I didn't get back was the return shipping cost of $150 (CAD).
unkdirkpitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:16 PM   #22
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

My Santa Rosa MBP 17 had this problem spring last year and Apple replaced it without any problem. The hardest part was being without my MBP for a week. Talk about withdrawl!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:21 PM   #23
mrtekkid
macrumors regular

My GPU died on me three times, along other issues I had with the computer and Apple finally decided to replace it after I told them I wouldn't pay for it after it went out of warranty.

Luckily AppleCare covered my costs, but that GPU was freakin' ridiculous.
mrtekkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:21 PM   #24
stuff4me
macrumors newbie

Mine has been fixed under warranty. Happened with 3 months left under Apple Care. Fixed it and it is running like a champ.
stuff4me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Vercingetorix
macrumors regular

Had the problem; Apple fixed it for free even though it was way out of warranty. Stupid to include Apple in this lawsuit when they've done everything you could expect to make it right.
Vercingetorix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion