Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
pimentoLoaf
macrumors Demi-God

Two Months Left Before the End of the World

How are you preparing, aside from rereading the entire bacon thread just to make sure you didn't miss any good recipes?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Singing http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/carpent..._20027550.html
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Two months, eh? That will be plenty of time for me to learn the Rite of AshkEnte. I'll keep the 4th horseman occupied with a game of chess, thus preventing the Apocalypse from happening on schedule. I also want to learn HOW TO SPEAK LIKE THIS.

Y'all can thank me on December 13th. Unless the end of the world is scheduled for the 22nd.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Hoping it is true.
GoCubsGo is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Crap, looks like we will never see professional hockey again nor will we have another Superbowl party. Or..... Damn you Mayan Calendar!!!!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:24 PM   #6
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Whatever, at least we lived long enough to see the iPhone 5.
likemyorbs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

I'm trying to finish building my rocket. It's a tight deadline.

Name:  rocket.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  17.3 KB

Last edited by Jaffa Cake; Oct 3, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Jaffa Cake is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:46 PM   #8
SVT Amateur
macrumors 6502

The funny thing is that when the date passes and nothing happens there will be people out there going "oh wait, we calculated something wrong, it will be next year instead."
SVT Amateur is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:56 PM   #9
saotomefirst
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Hoping it is true.
People are already talking about a new date - predicted by some guy (forgot his name, damm...) who interpreted the 'one time, two times and half time' passage on the catholic Bible. According to his theory, World ends in 2050+...

And BTW they already found a Mayan calendar with more ages on it, so it's obvious that this date was not the end for them... Too bad indeed
saotomefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
TedM
macrumors 6502

Are we referring to the Mayan Long count? If so the world doesn't actually end but just restarts. If that does end up creating the end of the world as we know it. I have enough food for 10 days and water for probably just as much. I know my area and can travel on foot or car depending on the resources around. Bad news is I live near the beach so the impending tidal wave would probably instant kill me.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 01:59 PM   #11
saotomefirst
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
Are we referring to the Mayan Long count? If so the world doesn't actually end but just restarts. If that does end up creating the end of the world as we know it. I have enough food for 10 days and water for probably just as much. I know my area and can travel on foot or car depending on the resources around. Bad news is I live near the beach so the impending tidal wave would probably instant kill me.
Lol yeah like the world will end like in the movie '2012'...

Well, in a sense, the world has ended already. Just think of the world 30 years ago: Soviet Union, Berlin Wall, building-sized computers, China: a country lost somewhere near the Phillipines - lol. How do the people who lived in that world feel today? Misplaced at the very least.

And today we have: iDevices, BRICSs, etc. Not to mention that, just by chance, we are living the worse economic crisis EVER - ok, not as dramatic as the 29's, but in terms of losses is much bigger and wider...

Now, as for catastrophes, remember: by far, the worse-case scenario is you have an escape ticket and others knowing it! Like rats in a sinking boat they'll do whatever it takes to survive, including taking away everything you have. So do one of 2 things: either don't let anyone know your plan or plan in a way you can defend yourself against raiders. Just a tip
saotomefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saotomefirst View Post
Lol yeah like the world will end like in the movie '2012'...

Well, in a sense, the world has ended already. Just think of the world 30 years ago: Soviet Union, Berlin Wall, building-sized computers, China: a country lost somewhere near the Phillipines - lol. How do the people who lived in that world feel today? Misplaced at the very least.

And today we have: iDevices, BRICSs, etc. Not to mention that, just by chance, we are living the worse economic crisis EVER - ok, not as dramatic as the 29's, but in terms of losses is much bigger and wider...

Now, as for catastrophes, remember: by far, the worse-case scenario is you have an escape ticket and others knowing it! Like rats in a sinking boat they'll do whatever it takes to survive, including taking away everything you have. So do one of 2 things: either don't let anyone know your plan or plan in a way you can defend yourself against raiders. Just a tip
I don't know. I guess i didn't consider these kind of changes as an "end." I meant more along the lines of everything changing instantly in relation to food, personal security, and future.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #13
OnceYouGoMac
macrumors 6502

I guess I won't have to worry about my exam results then
OnceYouGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:05 PM   #14
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Can't wait. Won't have to worry about passing math anymore.
fun173 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:05 PM   #15
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816

I have about 10 35 packs of water in my garage.

Plan on watching the Nationals win the World Series.

I really don't care if it happens, my first 26 years have been great, I can't imagine it getting any better. I'd be fine going out on top.
wvuwhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:31 PM   #16
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

An '82 Bordeaux and some Jack Herer, I suppose...
Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:01 AM   #17
thewitt
macrumors 68000

My Mayan friend from Belize says the long calendar simply starts over on December 22... It's a circular calendar. The only thing that ends is the 5th Cycle. 1st Cycle starts over again...

"White men are so stupid."
thewitt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:09 AM   #18
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by saotomefirst View Post
I lived in "that world" and I don't feel misplaced.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:23 AM   #19
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

I'm preparing my doomsday device. Should be ready in about two months.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:23 AM   #20
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
My Mayan friend from Belize says the long calendar simply starts over on December 22... It's a circular calendar. The only thing that ends is the 5th Cycle. 1st Cycle starts over again...

"White men are so stupid."
This ^^^^^^

Otherwise I'll just feel fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:21 AM   #21
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Note to myself: prepare a bit more rice just in case I get hungry after end of the world ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:10 AM   #22
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Don't need to be Mayan to be intelligent...
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:16 AM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I'm spending all the money I have saved. I'm cashing in all my investments. I'm severing all connections with everyone I know (both of them).

Ummm...have I perhaps made a mistake!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:20 AM   #24
snberk103
macrumors 603

I'm wetting my fingers, getting ready to turn the page. Like we do every single December 31st.....
Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:27 PM   #25
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

is that the reason why Apple gave us another free year of storage in iCloud ? They didn't bothered anymore to collect the pile of money for it. And the iPad Mini will be a freebie for all iPad owner, too.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion