Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:25 PM   #26
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
It's $100 and not 100$.
Sorry to be anal about this, but I see this error frequently.
Even before I read the rest of the thread, I know this is going to be good one. Travel internationally much?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankersizzle View Post
I'm pretty sure it goes after.

Don't believe this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
But this (and most other English websites/forums) are American based, so that's a moot point.
Quote:
Sorry, I see there are some exceptions to the rule, but I'm mostly annoyed by this in local Craigslist ads and US posters to this forum. I see that they write the way they speak (fifty dollars, 50$).
Yep. I was right. The 'furriners' pointing out that there is world outside the USA, and then xenocentric "But this is an American website" and then the 'furriners' pointing out another global reality, and then the clarification that the OP just really meant to rant about the American Craigslist and forgot about, well, everybody else.

I've seen better, but this met expectations.

----------

I'll give this one a 6.5 out of 11 - in honour of 'eleventy cents'.... that is if 'honour' doesn't set off another rant.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:28 AM   #27
waloshin
macrumors 68030

It's the way people say it. Hey I found one hundred dollars (100 $). Not hey I found dollars hundred ($ 100). So I see where some people might make the error.
waloshin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:32 AM   #28
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Lmao!!!

I have about $300 NZ dollars I forgot to cash back out when I left NZ. I'm keeping it for when I go back
If you're ever in Auz I think you can use NZ cash over there I went into a NZ dairy once with a bunch of Auz coins and the Indian behind the counter was very eager to take them (although maybe it's because Auz money is worth more than NZ, so he actually got more than I should have given him ).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
It's the way people say it. Hey I found one hundred dollars (100 $). Not hey I found dollars hundred ($ 100). So I see where some people might make the error.
Yeah, if they learn it off da streets rather than the classroom
mrsir2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:17 AM   #29
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Interesting profile name to topic correlation OP. I do agree with you though...totally centsless mistakes.
Gutwrench is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:12 AM   #30
Leet Apple
macrumors 6502a

I've never put $ at the end nor will i ever, just doesn't look right
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:14 AM   #31
robbieduncan

I fundamentally dislike the $ on it's own, regardless of whether you write $100 or 100$. Why? Because it offers no way to tell which of the many unimaginative countries who all use the same name for their different currencies this refers to. Next time someone asks me for $100 they are getting 100 HKD (current value about 12 USD).

And don't get me started on people who use both major and minor currency symbols at the same time (e.g. 12.53p).
robbieduncan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:24 AM   #32
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

And people think I'm cranky!!!
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:03 AM   #33
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
And don't get me started on people who use both major and minor currency symbols at the same time (e.g. 12.53p).
I can honestly say that I have never seen $12.53 presented to me.

But if the spoken word would be truly followed (by people without imagination) it would be 12$&53.

I might actually lose it, should that happen.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:32 AM   #34
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post

But if the spoken word would be truly followed (by people without imagination) it would be 12$&53.

well if they had '&' it would make sense, so i would give it a pass, but with the '.' it doesn't make any sense.
however, i have never ever seen it as well so i suppose it's not that common.

as far as the original point, it certainly makes more sense to put the sign after.
Like with so many other notations derived from the imperial/british system (date, units, temperature, shoe size, etc.) we stuck to the vastly inferior ones out of laziness and a misplaced sense of superiority/exceptionalism.

in any case, this thread gets my vote for "inane thread of the year"
Don't panic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:38 PM   #35
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:

Don't people say it IRL as twelve-dollars-fifty? So wouldn't it be 12$50?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:05 PM   #36
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Argh! A local bakery was selling biscuits for "$90c" each!
Nermal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:56 PM   #37
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Don't people say it IRL as twelve-dollars-fifty? So wouldn't it be 12$50?
Not in Canada, in my experience. Here they would leave out the dollars.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:40 PM   #38
puma1552
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
edit:
It is Xenophobic attitudes like that, that give the USA a bad name.
Quote:
Yep. I was right. The 'furriners' pointing out that there is world outside the USA, and then xenocentric "But this is an American website" and then the 'furriners' pointing out another global reality, and then the clarification that the OP just really meant to rant about the American Craigslist and forgot about, well, everybody else.

Nice try but I lived abroad for a good while; hardly xenophobic and pretty much the antithesis of the USA! USA! USA! redneck AMURR'CA trash.

Too bad 90% of the people that **** up by putting the dollar symbol after the number are Americans.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:43 PM   #39
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
I blame the French.

Well, because I always do.
Made me laugh, here, spend it wisely...

Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:51 PM   #40
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
I write my dates out in order though

12 December 2012 etc...
That's correct though. Order of scale.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:58 PM   #41
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post

Something like: 2012-12-12-1701 (for example, date and time) is better because it can be easily sorted when formatted as text without needing to waste any processing time on conversions.

eg, directory listings, etc.

Last edited by throAU; Dec 13, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:15 PM   #42
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
It's $100 and not 100$.
Perhaps, pedantic, but yes, relevant thread.....and yes, I agree with you. My teeth grind too, when I see such errors......

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Agreed, it really makes people look like complete dumbasses IMO.

How can you live X years, see prices listed hundreds of thousands of times, and still **** that up? Bugs me to no end.
Yes. Amazing. Sigh. I had students (university students) who could not differentiate between 'there' and 'their' and 'they're'......among many other (basic) horrors.

Quote:
I blame the French.

Well, because I always do.
The French are always well worth blaming (but less so now, since Mr Sarkozy lost office; perhaps I'm prejudiced....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
I feel like you're fretting over trivia.
Not really. Written forms tend to be a bit more formal than spoken forms and, as such, an agreed (and accurate) form of communication is welcome. I don't see sloppiness in written communication - especially in a formal context - as mere trivia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
To be fair, if all of English was written the same way that it was spoken then it'd look completely different.

Something like: to be fare, if all ov inglish was ritten the same way that it was spouken then ittid look kompletelee different.

Obviously I'm going a little (OK, a lot) overboard there but you get my point
Ah, yes. Around four hundred years ago, the written language (of English) approximated pretty closely to the spoken language as it then was. However, over the next two hundred years (caused by what is termed 'the great vowel shift' among other things) - the spoken language changed - or evolved - and the written language remained as it was. Hence, we now have a situation where the language as written sometimes does not reflect how it is pronounced........

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis82 View Post
Where is the logic in putting the dollar sign before the number? Does one say "I owe him dollar five hundred"?

Now OP, please stop acting as if the United States of America were the only country in the world, or as if their standards were also de-facto standards for the rest of the world.

I was taught to write numbers in the following way: 1 000 000,00$, and will continue to do so even though it hurts some people's feelings. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.
The way currency denominations are written probably long pre-exists the foundation of the US. Indeed, I rather imagine that standard double entry book-keeping practices conformed to this ideal long before the Pilgrim Fathers set sail; while it might be the standard for the US, it was a standard which predated same.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed, it is very annoying.
Yes, it is. Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Even before I read the rest of the thread, I know this is going to be good one. Travel internationally much?

----------

----------

I'll give this one a 6.5 out of 11 - in honour of 'eleventy cents'.... that is if 'honour' doesn't set off another rant.
Oh, as threads go, I like this sort of stuff. Personally, I have to say I find it a lot less trying than some others.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
And people think I'm cranky!!!
You should try me on a bad.....anal retentive, pedantic, and exceedingly precise day.....cranky does not begin to describe it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
well if they had '&' it would make sense, so i would give it a pass, but with the '.' it doesn't make any sense.
however, i have never ever seen it as well so i suppose it's not that common.

as far as the original point, it certainly makes more sense to put the sign after.
Like with so many other notations derived from the imperial/british system (date, units, temperature, shoe size, etc.) we stuck to the vastly inferior ones out of laziness and a misplaced sense of superiority/exceptionalism.

in any case, this thread gets my vote for "inane thread of the year"
Two points. I don't see this as the 'inane thread of the year'. I'm a nerd, so I like this stuff. And I have to say I sometimes find the emotional stuff ('my girlfriend doesn't love me any more....') much more inane. But there you are. That is mere personal preference and psychological make-up.

Secondly, in speech, yes, of course, placing the currency after the sum makes total sense, as your interlocutor often already knows what you are talking about. However, the written form is different. There, it makes sense to clarify what you are talking about as early as possible - thus, knowing the currency of which you write, in advance of the sum cited, makes much more sense when written, and, as such has become an agreed convention, especially when one discusses transnational transactions.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:48 PM   #43
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Not really. Written forms tend to be a bit more formal than spoken forms and, as such, an agreed (and accurate) form of communication is welcome. I don't see sloppiness in written communication - especially in a formal context - as mere trivia.
In the proper context, it is important to adopt the correct style for your region: I agree. But without any context in the OP just sounded (to me) rigid to the point of being angry even in trivial cases. Hence my post.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 PM   #44
eric/

Quote:
Yeah but that's not how they are commonly written (which I strongly dislike).
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 PM   #45
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Correct? I use *ISO, 2012-12-13
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:42 AM   #46
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Yeah but that's not how they are commonly written (which I strongly dislike).
They are (just not in NA).
Dagless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:06 AM   #47
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Perhaps, pedantic, but yes, relevant thread.....and yes, I agree with you. My teeth grind too, when I see such errors......

Not really. Written forms tend to be a bit more formal than spoken forms and, ...

Ah, yes. Around four hundred years ago, the written language (of English) approximated pretty closely to the spoken language as it then was.
Agreed. Mostly, iirc, because dictionaries had not yet been invented, and therefore there was no reference mark. And many people were just one step up from illiterate, so they sounded out the words and wrote it out phonetically.
Quote:
However, over the next two hundred years (caused by what is termed 'the great vowel shift' among other things) - the spoken language changed - or evolved - and the written language remained as it was. ...
Here I disagree - Try to read Mallory's le Morte d'Arthur...

"so she mourned pryuely and held hir pees / Thenne alle the barons by one assent prayd the Kynge of accord betwixe the lady Igrayne and hym / the kynge gaf hem leue / for fayne wold he haue ben accorded with her / Soo the kyng put alle the trust in Vlfyus to entrete bitwene them so by the entrete at the last the kyng & she met to gyder"

A good friend, who studied this stuff in school, told me that if you read it with a really heavy Monty Python German accent you'll be pretty close to what it sounded like back in the days of yore...
Quote:
The way currency denominations are written probably long pre-exists the foundation of the US.
What, the Americans didn't invent currency? Quel Surprise!
Quote:
Indeed, I rather imagine that standard double entry book-keeping practices conformed to this ideal long before the Pilgrim Fathers set sail; while it might be the standard for the US, it was a standard which predated same.....
Yes, around the 13th century... which has nothing to do with whether the currency marker precedes or follows the figures.
Quote:
Secondly, in speech, yes, of course, placing the currency after the sum makes total sense,
Why? Sometimes I say "A dollar fifty", or "Two dollars and fifty cents" (which would be written as "1$50" or 2$50).
Quote:

... it makes sense to clarify what you are talking about as early as possible - thus, knowing the currency of which you write, in advance of the sum cited, makes much more sense when written,
Um, no. In that case you would need to be writing CAD$ 100, or AUS$ 100 or NZ$ 100, etc etc and not just $100 since that is very very ambiguous.
Quote:

and, as such has become an agreed convention, especially when one discusses transnational transactions.
Not so much, in my opinion.

--------

So, how come it's $100 but not Kg100 or Lb100?

We say "One hundred dollars" and One hundred kilograms" But we write them differently. Or 35 (for 35 degrees), or Km100 (for 100 kilometres).

Why is currency the weird on in the bunch? It seems to me to make much more sense to move the currency symbol to the back. Maybe all of those other countries actually have it right?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:29 AM   #48
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
(...) Quel Surprise! (...)
It's "Quelle surprise!" and not "Quel Surprise!".

But seriously, I completely agree with your post.
twietee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:06 PM   #49
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
Conversely, how can you live X years in a world with billions of people not in your own country and not understand that different cultures do things differently?

And no, with things like this there is no inherently "right" way to do it.

Despite my own country putting the currency symbol before the figure (unless we're talking about cents), I believe the euro way (after the figure) is probably better because that's the way you say it.
Since people live in different countries, and there are plenty of different dollars in different countries, it would be worthwhile to use "US$" or "Aus$" or "NZ$" or whatever is correct to avoid confusion. (You might argue that US$ is the most common case, so using $ is fine, but how is one supposed to know whether you are an American talking about US dollars, or an Australian forgetting to write Aus$ ?)
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:29 PM   #50
Carlanga
macrumors 603

I get the suffering from the TS, but just wondering where does it say it has to be at the front, besides cultural knowledge of the use of the $ sign?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion