Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
reflekshun
macrumors member

Why are RAM latencies going upwards?

I am wondering what the reason is that RAM latencies are generally getting higher as the years go on, is it related to RAM size?

Will there be much benefit to my memory intensive audio workstation if I get lower latency ram or is there a trade off (higher CPU usage etc.) if i get lower latency RAM?

I'm considering buying 32GB of CS 10 ram instead of CS 11 RAM for the new 27" imac.

Many thanks for any ideas / info!
reflekshun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

They're not going upwards. RAM latency is decreasing as clock speeds are increasing.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:16 PM   #3
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

The latencies are the delays in clock cycles caused by the time it takes for the RAM chips to perform specific functions. Although clock speeds are increasing, the RAM silicon speed isn't increasing much. Therefore it takes more clock cycles to perform the same tasks. A clock frequency of 1333MHz with a latency of 9 equates to a memory response time of 6.75ns. A speed of 1600MHz at a CL of 11 equates to a 6.78ns response. Compared to desktop DIMMS with their overclocking abilities, SODIMMS presently have limited speed/latency options. You can get high speed, low latency desktop DIMMS if you're willing to pay the extra price.
drambuie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:03 AM   #4
reflekshun
macrumors member

Thanks drambuie a great detailed answer, exactly what I was looking for.

Now it's down to the question of whether I trust any other brands more than OWC for RAM, as OWC is only selling CL 11 RAM for the new imac!

Thanks again
reflekshun is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac