Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Just ordered the I7 mini. My monitor doesn't have speakers. Is there a built in speaker that is good enough for the occasional video? The internals on my 2006 iMac was more than I needed..

I have a Sonos 5, but am not sure if I can connect it to use as a PC speaker.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
The one on my 2012 mini is pretty weak, although i don't know how it would compare to your previous mini. If you just need to hear a video, then it would probably work. I just use cheap $20 Logitech speakers on my desk and it is a heck of a lot better.

Exodist

macrumors member
Just ordered the I7 mini. My monitor doesn't have speakers. Is there a built in speaker that is good enough for the occasional video? The internals on my 2006 iMac was more than I needed..

I have a Sonos 5, but am not sure if I can connect it to use as a PC speaker.

Looks like you could connect it. If it has Aux input you should be fine. If your looking for more desktop solution. Creative Inspire T10 2.0 speakers offer 10watts RMS and look very stylish. They are not cheap either, pretty heavy and knobs dont flex. Also has headphone and an additional aux input jack on the side. I got mine for $45 off new egg and closest thing I have seen to studio quality under 100 bucks in years.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
The speaker in the mac mini is very basic. Ive just invested in a pair of Bose Companion 20 speakers. Sound is phenomenal from just a 2 speaker setup.

You'll be looking around for the centre speaker and subwoofer as it has such a wide powerful enveloping sound stage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.