Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Wow...

I have wanted one of these machines for quite some time, and it finally arrived last week. I was able to connect it a few days ago and all I can say is WOW. It is an incredible machine.

Very impressed with the build quality, the easy of expansion, the performance, and the quietness of the machine. It is the 12-Core 3.06 with a 512SSD and a 3x2TB RAID0 array and 2 SuperDrives. I have used many machines over time but this one takes the cake!

I also ordered two 27" ACD monitors to connect to the onboard 5870. I primarily do network administration consisting of labs and virtual networks and this machine does not break a sweat. I really wanted to run OS X as the host OS and so far Mountain Lion has been extremely stable. I am very happy with the purchase!
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Dr. Stealth
macrumors 6502

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's an awesome machine isn't it ? I'm an engineer by trade and I love the build quality and case design.

The ones building Hackintoshes thinking they have a real Mac are delusional.

I'm going to be upgrading my processors in a few days to the hex core 3.33's and I can't wait to just slide the processor tray out for the upgrade. So cool.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:23 AM   #3
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stealth View Post
It's an awesome machine isn't it ? I'm an engineer by trade and I love the build quality and case design.

I'm going to be upgrading my processors in a few days to the hex core 3.33's and I can't wait to just slide the processor tray out for the upgrade. So cool.
I had pondered the CPU upgrade on this one, but thought it out and wanted to get something supported for a while so AppleCare has it for three years. But the CPU upgrade is very tempting! I am doing so many things on it right now - wiping free space on the disk array, converting an MKV to MP4, running about four VMs, and it's not even slowing down whatsoever, and the fans sound like they are on idle. Not to mention the ACD will rapidly charge my iPad 2 and iPhone. Just had a FaceTime session with my wife on it earlier,and that worked great. I just love the computer!

I just need to upgrade the RAM from the standard 12 that came in it. I guess I will take it to 64 for now and maybe add a USB3/eSATA card.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:34 AM   #4
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Nice. I'm still on my MP1.1 upgraded to 8 cores and it's still an amazing machine. I've been itching to pull the trigger on a new one but I need a bigger reason to make the jump. Last few updates were a bit underwhelming. Hopefully the 2013 will be the one to get!
JesterJJZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:51 AM   #5
mokeiko
macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your new workstation, real nice setup.

mokeiko
mokeiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:15 AM   #6
DJenkins
macrumors regular

Yep they are mighty impressive machines as a maxed out package... especially if it's your first mac pro. It will undoubtedly give you years of reliable performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stealth View Post

100% agree with you on the case, I have never seen anything that comes close as far as a clean and solid design.
However, I must disagree on 'thinking they have a real mac'... the goal is not to emulate - I think it's more like 'going where no mac has gone before'
DJenkins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:55 AM   #7
spacedesign911
macrumors regular

Similar set up to you for me, 2 Apple 512 SSD's in Raid 0, giving about 400 read write, I started off using 2 27" Cinemas via the 5870 card, but I didn't like sitting centred on 2 screens with the black bezel to the middle, so I picked up a 5770 card, put it in with a Y power splitter, and bought another 27" Cinems.

I power the middle screen from the 5870 alone, and the L and R 27"s from the 5770. Both L and R screens bezels are slightly behind the middle screen so I only see one bezel, I run Mail, Illustrator and Cad simultaneously one each screen and my workflow is epically streamlined.

I upgraded from a 1.1 Mac Pro 4 Core with 2 Matt cinema Displays that I used without missing a beat for 6 years, and this works so much better. Performance increases are there in rendering but in everyday activities they run the same as the older machine, however FaceTime and speakers integrated are great, I got used to the gloss in about a week.

Enjoy the setup.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Dr. Stealth
macrumors 6502

Had To Go Faster......

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
I am doing so many things on it right now - wiping free space on the disk array, converting an MKV to MP4, running about four VMs, and it's not even slowing down whatsoever, and the fans sound like they are on idle. Just had a FaceTime session with my wife on it earlier,and that worked great.
Ha... I facetime with my wife and kids all the time and I love it. iPhone, iPads & Macs....

I do a lot of heavy image rendering with Bunkspeed Shot in Bootcamp. Couple days ago I started a render before going to bed and when I got up in the morning it said I still had 5.5 hours to go! That's when I decided to go with the hex-core 3.33 upgrade.

At least most of my renders will complete overnight....
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9
tony3d
macrumors 6502

I have virtually the same machine and really really like it. I gave my son my old 2.8 quad core machine when I upgraded to 3.0 6 12 core. He uses it primarily for gaming on windows and we put a 5770 in it. It does pretty well. I use my machine for 3-D modeling and animation using lightwave and it really rocks. More you use it the more you're going alike it.
tony3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:56 AM   #10
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJJZ View Post
Nice. I'm still on my MP1.1 upgraded to 8 cores and it's still an amazing machine. I've been itching to pull the trigger on a new one but I need a bigger reason to make the jump. Last few updates were a bit underwhelming. Hopefully the 2013 will be the one to get!
can yours run mountain lion ive been thinking of pulling the trigger on one for a minute now. or maybe a mac mini but i need power..
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJJZ View Post
I'm still happy with my 1,1 as well. I imagine a new 3.06 is quite a step up from this oldie.

If the next version in 2013 has 33%+ cpu speed and performance than the current models, and if it comes with TB and USB 3, it will be the upgrade to have after 7 years.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Middleman-77
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
I'm still happy with my 1,1 as well. I imagine a new 3.06 is quite a step up from this oldie.

If the next version in 2013 has 33%+ cpu speed and performance than the current models, and if it comes with TB and USB 3, it will be the upgrade to have after 7 years.
Well I have to tell you, you don't need to wait that long... >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPlk2M5rBUk
Middleman-77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro