Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Yoyodyne
macrumors member

Fixed creaks in iBook (sorta)

For everyone who has the creaking/squeaking iBook trackpad area, I solved my issue. Yet again, my reliable index cards have fixed another gimpy aspect of my new iBook. If you take out the battery, you can access one side of the trackpad. Looking at it, it may be the metal pieces causing the friction, but I wasn’t going to try to lubricate it. I stuck a very small piece of folded index card in between the contacting metal pieces and it solidified my trackpad area. Any non-metal material will work, and you don’t have to disassemble anything.

Before, if I tried to use my button it went more like, “creeeeeakclick” instead of “click.” I fixed most of my quality problems, all I have to do know if accept my dead pixel.
Yoyodyne is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2005, 08:12 PM   #2
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Mine creaks over the HD area, it's not tight enough. I wonder if there's a fix for that. There's not any hex nuts over there.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 08:23 PM   #3
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITASOR
Mine creaks over the HD area, it's not tight enough. I wonder if there's a fix for that. There's not any hex nuts over there.
Anyone with a faulty trackpad stiil under warranty I had my newish 14" ibook in for a new topcase because the trackpad was askew and hard to work. I should say "harder" to work when you press on it than my other book. Apple replaced it for free and the Tech dropped in a new hd and new superdrive FOR FREE. Thank you Apple.
California is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2005, 09:43 PM   #4
paperinacup
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well its definetly not just you. Thats one a the few things I hate about the iBook.
paperinacup is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2005, 09:45 PM   #5
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Same, it's the area over the HD on mine, not the trackpad itself. Nice job fixing your 'book though (to the OP).
Old Sep 22, 2005, 02:54 AM   #6
davebl
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to davebl
my PB hinge creaks... it always has. kinda embarassing in a library or quiet situation.
davebl is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers