Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1
1251division
macrumors member

Storing iPad Apps on Computer

With Apple's 5-yr App Store Anniversary, I am running into storage issues on my iPad. I am wondering if it is possible to transfer some of my existing apps off of my iPad, to be stored on my computer while I try out a few new ones. I have gone through the "Transfer" process in iTunes, but am not sure how to remove the transferred apps from the iPad to free up more space. Is this possible? I couldn't find any definitive information--I'd hate to lose apps, or have to re-download. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502

Yes, this is easy to do. Sync the iPad and leave it connected. Then, click the iPad on the Sidebar (use View --> Sidebar if you have it off). Then, click the Apps tab on the iPad "page". Simply uncheck any app(s) you want to remove. You can see the size of the app in this screen so you know how much you want/need to remove.

Caution: Removing the app from the iPad frees up space but you'll lose saved games, progress, settings etc.

The apps will remain in iTunes on your computer. If you want to put one back on the iPad, repeat the above but check the box next to the app to install it and sync.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
anonnymouse
macrumors regular

To delete apps from the iPad, press and hold on the desired app's icon on the homescreen until the app icons wiggle. Tap the black X on the upper right of the icon of the app(s) you want to delete. It will ask to confirm if you actually want to delete each one. Say OK or whatever the affirmative answer is.

Assuming you did the "transfer purchases" correctly in iTunes to copy them from the iPad to iTunes, you have just the app itself (not the backed up content and metadata etc within the app) stored. It just avoids a re-download of the app later.

iCloud backup or iTunes backup would backup all related data stored with or within an app, but it's really an all-or-nothing affair. Once you delete the app(s) from the iPad, the next backup would (I believe) also delete the related stored data along with that app from the backup.

The apps you are deleting may be connected to other cloud type services that would preserve this related data and metadata, but without knowing which apps you desire to delete and re-install later, that's the best I can do at the moment.
anonnymouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:55 PM   #4
1251division
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmscott View Post
Yes, this is easy to do. Sync the iPad and leave it connected. Then, click the iPad on the Sidebar (use View --> Sidebar if you have it off). Then, click the Apps tab on the iPad "page". Simply uncheck any app(s) you want to remove. You can see the size of the app in this screen so you know how much you want/need to remove.

Caution: Removing the app from the iPad frees up space but you'll lose saved games, progress, settings etc.

The apps will remain in iTunes on your computer. If you want to put one back on the iPad, repeat the above but check the box next to the app to install it and sync.
Thanks for the tips. I seem to be on the right track. Once the iPad is synced, only a portion of the apps are displayed (along with MB) in the APPS tab of iTunes. Some of the ones I want to remove and store for later are not showing up on the list. At first I thought it was because they were in folders on the iPad, but I removed all apps from folders, and re-synced. They are still not showing up on the iTunes screen.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
1251division
macrumors member

Seems like if your storage is nearly full, all apps cannot transfer to iTunes. I removed some that had transferred iteratively until there was enough free space on the iPad to completely transfer all remaining. Note that apps in folders seemed to be skipped-over and not transfer at all. This was corrected by dragging each app onto the main screen.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1251division View Post
Thanks for the tips. I seem to be on the right track. Once the iPad is synced, only a portion of the apps are displayed (along with MB) in the APPS tab of iTunes. Some of the ones I want to remove and store for later are not showing up on the list. At first I thought it was because they were in folders on the iPad, but I removed all apps from folders, and re-synced. They are still not showing up on the iTunes screen.
On your computer in iTunes, click the 'Store' menu then choose Check for Available Downloads. Then see if re-syncing the iPad solves the problem.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:09 PM   #7
ransofeb
macrumors newbie

i think so, This was corrected by dragging each app onto the main screen.
ransofeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
apps, computer, ipad, storage, transfer