Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
One of my close friends has been complaining about his battery life on his new iPhone. He asked me to post an image of his usage time on these forums to see if you guys think he should take it back to an Apple store and get a new one. He says this photo was taken after mainly using it for texting, calls, Facebook and the very occasional 2D game or youtube (around 10 min video). Personally I think its quite awful.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    112 KB · Views: 164

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
5 hrs of usage shouldn't get this kind of battery unless he's continuously streaming YouTube videos over cellular.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Are you guys kidding lmao?

His phone was unplugged for 40 hours. That's perfectly reasonable

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's not too terrible. Usage time is low but his phone was in standby for a long time.

Here is mine, but I've been using it pretty much constantly since 2 am.

ese8ezy8.jpg

Most of that was streaming videos which uses surprisingly less battery then you'd think.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Mine currently shows:

34%

Usage = 9 hours, 50 minutes

Standby = 1 Day, 15 hours

I think the battery life dilema is based on how you are using your phone.

I use TuneIn Radio a lot while at work and it drains my battery very quickly. I've never tried it, but at 100% I could probably stream TuneIn Radio for probably 4-5 hours max and it would be completely dead.

Outside of that, I get great battery life. Granted, I don't use is a TON, but I think I use it regularly. Twitter, Facebook, Internet, texting, calling. I don't use these constantly, but I easily would get a full day+ if I didn't use the TuneIn Radio app. I just make sure I take my charger with me and always have it at work to use while using that particular app.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
One of my close friends has been complaining about his battery life on his new iPhone. He asked me to post an image of his usage time on these forums to see if you guys think he should take it back to an Apple store and get a new one. He says this photo was taken after mainly using it for texting, calls, Facebook and the very occasional 2D game or youtube (around 10 min video). Personally I think its quite awful.

That looks completely normal to me. 5 hours of mixed usage and 40 hours of standby is as good as you are going to get from nearly any smartphone, let alone one of the lightest ones made. He probably could have gotten 8-10 hours of continuous use, which is exactly in line with what he should be getting.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
People worry way too much about battery life.

Agree. If you are THAT worried about it, just go get a Droid Razrr Max HD.

I just make sure I take my charger with me everyone I go "just in case" I might need it. That said, if I know that I'm going to be outside all day without a power outlet, I limit my usage so I can actually make a call if I need it.

I liked the way iOS worked and the way the iPhones worked over my previous Androids. That's why I made the switch. If my biggest concern was battery life, I would've gotten the Max because I know it has GREAT battery life.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Agree. If you are THAT worried about it, just go get a Droid Razrr Max HD.

I just make sure I take my charger with me everyone I go "just in case" I might need it. That said, if I know that I'm going to be outside all day without a power outlet, I limit my usage so I can actually make a call if I need it.

I liked the way iOS worked and the way the iPhones worked over my previous Androids. That's why I made the switch. If my biggest concern was battery life, I would've gotten the Max because I know it has GREAT battery life.

Plus that person is getting 40 hours....when do you go 40 hours without being around a charger. He would die on an android phone getting 18 hours.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
There is no way that the Apple Store would swap out phones with battery life like this. It's not bad.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I don't get it.... all I did was stream Pandora while playing real racing 2 and my battery only lasted 4 hours, battery should last at least 10 hours if I do that..... man the i5 battery is total crap.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Mine currently shows:

34%

I use TuneIn Radio a lot while at work and it drains my battery very quickly. I've never tried it, but at 100% I could probably stream TuneIn Radio for probably 4-5 hours max and it would be completely dead.

Outside of that, I get great battery life. Granted, I don't use is a TON, but I think I use it regularly. Twitter, Facebook, Internet, texting, calling. I don't use these constantly, but I easily would get a full day+ if I didn't use the TuneIn Radio app. I just make sure I take my charger with me and always have it at work to use while using that particular app.

That seems like you charged it at some point...not a full charge, but the charger hit the phone somewhere.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
That seems like you charged it at some point...not a full charge, but the charger hit the phone somewhere.

I don't think I charged it at all, but I might of yesterday while listening to my radio app.

That said, I started listening to the TuneIn Radio app at 9 am and my percentage was at 33.

It's now 9:33 and I am down to 17%. So, 16% in 33 minutes. When I get lower I will put it on the charger and fully charge. I will repost the numbers tomorrow without charging at all and see where it's at.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Update.

As of 10:13 am I just hit 1%.

So, I went from 33% at 9 AM to 1% at 10:13 AM using the TuneIn Radio app.

By the way, this is using LTE. I might try the same "test" tomorrow using the phone on 3G.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
Mine currently shows:

34%

Definitely agree with using the TuneIn Radio app. I used to get pretty good battery life until I started streaming a radio show every morning for 3 hours, now I will be at 50% after using it but I recognize that drains the battery. It totally depends on what your friend is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.