Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

Apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum. It was a toss between here and the iMac section. Anyway, a little background. I currently use a 3-4 years old PC with low-end specifications.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Intel Core 2 quad-core 2.50GHz
3GB RAM
AT Radeon HD 4800 Series 512MB

At the moment my PC is struggling for processing power and I have to play games on the lowest settings, but I think that's just a sign of a dying computer. This time I'd like to replace it with a Mac since I tend not to play too many games nowadays and instead just play one, Diablo 3 and maybe try StarCraft 2 in the near future.

Now, I don't have a budget as such and I'll have to use some of my savings to pay but I really don't want to spend more than £1,200 and that includes a monitor/display. The PC I currently use cost around £800 and Mac's are considerably more.

I'm not too fussed about hard-drives and Mac software because I don't store much on my computer. 2-3 games at most and the OS. At the moment I have 461 GB free space out of 581 GB hard-drive which shows just how much I use the hard-drive.

The main purpose of the Mac will be to play primarily Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2, and to play them at high settings using the native resolution (if possible). Then of course to browse the web and whatnot.

Any advice, tips, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
I propose your perceived processing power problems would be solved with a fresh install of a 64 bit OS (win 7 or 8) and upgrading the ram to 8 GB. As far as gaming goes, you can do much better (for a lot less money) with a GPU card upgrade.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I would look at the Mini MD387LL/A (base model) and try to get it from one of the sites like Amazon that sell tax free with free shipping for max savings. I like this model because it's user upgradable and you can likely use your existing monitor. Looks like it will cost you around $590.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

Apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum. It was a toss between here and the iMac section. Anyway, a little background. I currently use a 3-4 years old PC with low-end specifications.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Intel Core 2 quad-core 2.50GHz
3GB RAM
AT Radeon HD 4800 Series 512MB

At the moment my PC is struggling for processing power and I have to play games on the lowest settings, but I think that's just a sign of a dying computer. This time I'd like to replace it with a Mac since I tend not to play too many games nowadays and instead just play one, Diablo 3 and maybe try StarCraft 2 in the near future.

Now, I don't have a budget as such and I'll have to use some of my savings to pay but I really don't want to spend more than £1,200 and that includes a monitor/display. The PC I currently use cost around £800 and Mac's are considerably more.

I'm not too fussed about hard-drives and Mac software because I don't store much on my computer. 2-3 games at most and the OS. At the moment I have 461 GB free space out of 581 GB hard-drive which shows just how much I use the hard-drive.

The main purpose of the Mac will be to play primarily Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2, and to play them at high settings using the native resolution (if possible). Then of course to browse the web and whatnot.

Any advice, tips, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I propose your perceived processing power problems would be solved with a fresh install of a 64 bit OS (win 7 or 8) and upgrading the ram to 8 GB. As far as gaming goes, you can do much better (for a lot less money) with a GPU card upgrade.

I agree with MacVibe that you could save yourself a lot of money by using the 64-bit version of Windows, increasing the RAM, and upgrading the GPU card. That being said, do you have a copy of 64-bit Vista? If not, then buying one is still cheaper than buying a brand new computer, especially if it is just to play a couple of games and do very basic computer tasks like the ones you mentioned. Otherwise, you'll never be able to get the OS to recognize much more than you have right now.

Another thing that is still cheaper than buying a new computer would be to invest in a SSD. You can get a 128GB SSD now for less than $100 and the speed increase in that drive alone could be very useful. Couple that with a firewire or eSATA docking station for your current internal hard drive, and you could continue to have additional storage at minimal cost.

Option 1:
1.Upgrade to 64-bit Windows Vista
2. Max out RAM
3. upgrade GPU
4. Get SSD
5. Get docking station for current internal drive

A brand new Mac Mini will cost you at least $650(including taxes) and this price doesn't include: keyboard, mouse, MAC versions of the games that you would have to purchase, and the adapter cables for it to work with your current monitor. Factoring all of those options in, the price for the Mini, accessories(keyboard, mouse, adapter priced at $29), and games comes to roughly $900. If you can beat that price with upgrades to your current machine(which you should be able to do easily), then I would recommend that route.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've never really messed with computer parts. Usually I buy one and try to keep it running for up to 4 years and then buy a new one. The one I have now is a Dell but I would feel a bit timid about tinkering with it. I was hoping there was a Mac out there that I could afford and would be seen as an upgrade from what I have now.

I have singled out the following Mac's but I don't know how much better they are from my current PC and if they can run Diablo 3 any better.

21.5-inch iMac (£1,249)
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB (two 4GB) memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB

13-inch MacBook Pro (£1,249)
2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Which would be best for my needs? And would I see much of an improvement from my current PC? I'm a little particular. I would feel awkward using a Mac mini with a Dell monitor for instance but the Apple Thunderbolt would bring the price of a mini to over £1,400 so I rule them out.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
If you've got a monitor then get a Mini, the mid range is a quad core i7 and upgrading/tinkering the ram is a cinch!

You'll save yourself a bit and it's fast.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've never really messed with computer parts. Usually I buy one and try to keep it running for up to 4 years and then buy a new one. The one I have now is a Dell but I would feel a bit timid about tinkering with it. I was hoping there was a Mac out there that I could afford and would be seen as an upgrade from what I have now.

I have singled out the following Mac's but I don't know how much better they are from my current PC and if they can run Diablo 3 any better.

21.5-inch iMac (£1,249)
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB (two 4GB) memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB

13-inch MacBook Pro (£1,249)
2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Which would be best for my needs? And would I see much of an improvement from my current PC? I'm a little particular. I would feel awkward using a Mac mini with a Dell monitor for instance but the Apple Thunderbolt would bring the price of a mini to over £1,400 so I rule them out.

Both are fine computers. The iMac is more powerful, the MBP is portable - you decide what you prefer. If you wanted to upgrade your old computer, go to http://www.crucial.com/uk and they will let you choose your exact computer model and show what RAM is available.

BTW. The Apple Thunderbolt monitors are absolutely high end monitors. Your old monitor will probably work, and you can get a decent monitor for £100 or an excellent one for £200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.