Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:22 AM   #26
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Apple should just devote their time and resources to improve their current products and services than step into an entirely new market with hundreds of competitors.

If Apple can spend resources to start a new Television set project, I'd rather they spend some on salvaging more critical issues at hand such as the problematic, error-filled and almost life-threatening Maps application. Why start on a new project when current ones like this aren't completely completed yet?
They probably have a team that works on Televesion sets. That same team would not be able to help with the maps/iPhone/iPad because that isn't their area of expertise.
SamGabbay is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:24 AM   #27
Gravity
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM
Apple can innovate with Television... or you know it wouldn't even consider trying. Obviously it would be voice controlled, ala Siri... would be tied to Apple's ecosystem... and they'd give it a design that TV's have never seen. I'm thinking edge-to-edge picture (no bezel)... and if they're really cool... the entire screen would be WHITE when the unit is off, not black.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:25 AM   #28
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple should just devote their time and resources to improve their current products and services than step into an entirely new market with hundreds of competitors.

If Apple can spend resources to start a new Television set project, I'd rather they spend some on salvaging more critical issues at hand such as the problematic, error-filled and almost life-threatening Maps application. Why start on a new project when current ones like this aren't completely completed yet?
Apple have huge resources but a single project can only progress at a finite pace. Just throwing more resources at any single project always gives diminishing returns to the point where it becomes counter productive.

If they had the idea that stepping into an established market was a bad move there would never have been an iPhone and for such a large company they have remarkably few products.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:27 AM   #29
eastofeastside
macrumors newbie

Apple TV would be a flop that would tank the stock back to $300. On the other hand, Xbox TV/mini sounds like a hit in the making.
eastofeastside is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:28 AM   #30
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.
I think it's going to be like the iMac vs. the miniMac. Apple will keep selling their Apple TV set top box you can hook up to a regular TV, but then Apple will sell an all-in-one enclosure too. That's the only thing I can figure that makes sense to me. What this means is that it'll be the TV service that Apple will sell, and that's what needs to change in the market, anyway.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:30 AM   #31
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular

They should also release an Apple washer, dryer, and microwave.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #32
Alquiora
macrumors newbie

This would be one Apple product that failed without matching its price with the market.
Alquiora is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #33
Gravity
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofeastside View Post
Apple TV would be a flop that would tank the stock back to $300. On the other hand, Xbox TV/mini sounds like a hit in the making.
Why do you say it would be a flop? Don't you think they know the market variable as well as anybody?? They've been studying it for some time. It would be connected to their existing ecosystem... so all our content would work with it... voice controlled (which is cool)... and the design would be just flat out WICKED... they'd have it competitively priced, but it would be on the higher end of competitive so they make a nice margin... unless they treated the tv as a loss leader to sell more content through iTunes.... in which case, they'd sell a TON of these things.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #34
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepNamenots View Post
An Apple TV would be updated every year like all their other products, making it just as obsolete just as quickly (if not faster)
...writes the guy with nine products crossed off his "stuff I own" signature.
ctdonath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:33 AM   #35
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

I don't know. This market is a bad place to tread, but Apple can go ahead and prove me wrong.

Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:34 AM   #36
kavika411
Banned

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. First, Apple is so large that they have swaths of employees who - even if Apple put "all resources" towards fixing the app problems plaguing them at the moment that you mention - would not be able to contribute to fixing those problems. Put simply, Apple has 72,000 employees; if Apple committed 95% of them to fixing the problems you mentioned, that still leaves well over three thousand employees to work on other things.

Second - and people seem to have forgotten this - Apple very publicly dropped "Computers" from its name a few years ago for the purpose of not being tethered to one line of products - to free it up to try all kinds of things. Just as Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, it did perfect it. There is likewise plenty of room in an otherwise crowded television market for a company like Apple to come in, rework it from the ground up, and quickly become a heavy hitter in that market.

All of that said, I think the report or whatever this thread is based on is so very Captain Obvious. I mean really - a company with $82 billion in cash is testing television prototypes? Really? Huh. Who'd a thunk it? Next you're going to tell me Apple constantly has all manner of devices in the prototype testing stage, many (perhaps the majority) of which never see the light of day. Surely that's not the way a technology/consumer electronic/computer/mobile device/entertainment company works. Sheesh.
kavika411 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:39 AM   #37
Mac21ND
macrumors 6502a

The challenge is making the TV unique and different from so called "smart" TV's that are now being marketed.

It's like when the iPhone came out. There were smartphones, but the iPhone clearly redefined the market. An Apple TV would need to be the same game changer in order for it not be be seen as just another TV with a Pandora app.
Mac21ND is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #38
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

I wouldn't want to hold an Apple TV and use it as a touch screen. Although would make reading a lot better as I wouldn't have to flip "swipe" as many pages.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac21ND View Post
The challenge is making the TV unique and different from so called "smart" TV's that are now being marketed.

It's like when the iPhone came out. There were smartphones, but the iPhone clearly redefined the market. An Apple TV would need to be the same game changer in order for it not be be seen as just another TV with a Pandora app.
I agree. I can see Apple working with Sharp and having Sharp make the TV's spec to Apple's wants. This way there's no extra gimicks from Sharp built in, but has Apple's software UI instead. That would make more sense than Apple doing the TV's themselves.
unplugme71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:48 AM   #39
apple-win
macrumors regular

Sharp is on verge of bankruptcy. Is Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. buying Sharp?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-loss-forecast

Samsung is the biggest LCD display manufacturer in the world. Apple does not make LCD panels. Can Apple compete in TV market?

I think Apple TV is a giant iPAD (iOS ???) with a TV tuner app and a DVR app, no Youtube app. That' it. Who still watch TV these days?
apple-win is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:48 AM   #40
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As I have been saying for years now, when Apple makes a display it will be 4K. The first confirmation we had for this was the "Retina Display" on the iPhone. Since then we have seen increasingly large high resolution displays from Apple. At some point the streams will cross and Apple will have purchased enough factory capacity and developed the large size panel production to the point they can actually fill 15m orders for 36" and 52" 4K format TV's. Of course like an iMac or an iPad it will have a little computer inside. I feel sorry for all the Fedex drivers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.p...rchid=31790562

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=178
(Oct 2009)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=458
(Dec 2006)

Rocketman
A 4K television set makes little sense according to some experts in the AV field. The issue is that to take advantage of that pixel resolution over 1080 you have to be sitting so close to the screen that it makes it impractical. Take a look at the HD viewing distance charts for a 60" screen. It gets a lot worse for 4K.
Apple Corps is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #41
christian_k
macrumors 6502

Just boring

I used to like Apple when they were about creativity. The iMac with builtin FireWire gave many people access to digital video editing for the first time etc.

Now they just want you to buy content, sit-back and consume. A TV is the next logical step in that direction. Its just boring.

Christian
christian_k is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #42
Stella
macrumors 603

I have mixed feelings about apple entering the TV st market. I'm sure apple could stir things up and introduce quite innovative features. On the other hand - it's going to be expensive - - more soon the lines of computers - people don't change their TV sets every year unlike phones ( every two years or so - some 1 year ).

Apple won't be able to control the content - probably not be able to replace your cable provider - so it'll be a TV set with integrated appleTV and other functionality.

Oh and SIRI is going to have to get a whole lot more reliable.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #43
sconnor99
macrumors regular

What if it wasn't just a Television? What if was a whole network? Imagine the App Store but with TV shows, content makers like me can fund a show, upload it and get a small amount per view, or get paid ad revenue. Google are trying this with YouTube. The future is content!
sconnor99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:51 AM   #44
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
It'll never happen.

Apple needs Sharp and Samsung. Instead of hoarding their billions and partnering with these tech leaders, Apple should've been building their own supply chains they themselves could control. Jobs was so proud of Apple's ability to turn over this grunt work to others. His biggest mistake.

Besides, there is nothing innovative about getting existing content to display on a TV screen. And if Apple can't dictate what that content is who needs Apple?
So you want Apple to sink their $$ into a low to no margin manufacturing endeavor. That would tank their margins for sure - vertical integration ain't all it is cracked up to be.
Apple Corps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:52 AM   #45
mwolenski
macrumors newbie

Maybe it'll be released in conjunction with the Angry Birds movie!
mwolenski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #46
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
I take it you have never worked at an actual company that has more than 5 employees?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #47
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Well, like I said in the last Apple "TV" thread, it's too late for me. I just bought a Sony 55" LED TV. So even if Apple came out with a new TV tomorrow, I'm looking at 4-5 years before I'm interested in buying one.

Wake me up when it's time...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:05 AM   #48
cowboy77
macrumors newbie

Here Is How Apple Does It

Apple wants to make a big splash in the TV market. However, Apple needs to control the entire ecosystem. They do not want to just put out another TV, they do not want to put out a super TV box. They want it all. How do they do it? One, they need the content, and two, they need the distribution pipes, three the actual TV (the partnership with Sharp), and four the UI (the technology they already have). So how do they accomplish one and two? Easy, pony up $35 billion :-) for the purchase of DirecTV or Dish, which gives them VOILA, access to the entire world with content and the pipes. Watch this area.. its going to happen
cowboy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:05 AM   #49
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I really think this falls in line with a gimmick. I'm sure it will take off and the proposed integrated features may be great; however, I think I would hedge my bets on a Samsung Smart TV sitting in my house before an Apple TV set will.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:17 AM   #50
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy77 View Post
Apple wants to make a big splash in the TV market. However, Apple needs to control the entire ecosystem. They do not want to just put out another TV, they do not want to put out a super TV box. They want it all. How do they do it? One, they need the content, and two, they need the distribution pipes, three the actual TV (the partnership with Sharp), and four the UI (the technology they already have). So how do they accomplish one and two? Easy, pony up $35 billion :-) for the purchase of DirecTV or Dish, which gives them VOILA, access to the entire world with content and the pipes. Watch this area.. its going to happen
Will your strategy work? DirectTV is for America market only. Will Apple buy it?

If Apple controls the TV content, there will be no adult channels, no Playboy, nothing.
apple-win is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion